View Full Version : Muntz console..."it may need repair"

Dave A
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Actutally, a nice looking 70's set in STL. The listing price also needs repair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MUNTZ-Black-White-Console-Television-TV-AM-FM-Stereo-Combo-LOOK-/140690905679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c1d4da4f

Not mine, just trolling tonight.

radiotvnut
02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the price needs some serious repair.

Electronic M
02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
The price is madder than good old Muntz himself. :D

tvtimeisfun
02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Its not only the price it is his knowledge on tvs as well that is the wrong year he has listed maybe late 50s early 60s.. Timothy

holmesuser01
02-23-2012, 09:44 PM
This is the first Muntz that I've seen in a long time. Wonder about its audio systems? Wonder if it had a good sound?

Jeffhs
02-23-2012, 11:15 PM
At least the seller was honest enough to mention that the TV would need a converter box or a cable hookup to work properly. :yes:

Also, I agree that the opening bid is far too high. This console has to be at least 40 years old, and the TV may not even be color. I wouldn't give more than $50 for it, since there is probably quite a bit that needs to be done to this set (such as the usual capacitor replacement, at very least the ones in the power supply) before it can be used on a daily basis.

I also think sellers need to put a disclaimer in their ads for old sets like this, warning potential buyers not to indiscriminately plug the set in as soon as it arrives at their door; to be fair, some do put such a disclaimer in their ads, but many do not. As we VK members know and respect, any piece of electronic equipment 40 years old or more almost always has bad or failing capacitors and other parts that must be replaced before it can be used safely. Most eBay sellers do not know much or anything about how a TV set works, much less the dangers of plugging in and trying to use a four-decade-old (or more) TV that may have been sitting in an often damp and/or unheated basement, garage, etc., unused. Case in point: My first eBay score, in 2002, was a Zenith H511 radio. I had won it from a seller in the Northeast, and when the radio arrived here I made the mistake of plugging it in as soon as it was delivered. The pilot light immediately burned out with a bright white flash, probably due to a filter capacitor that had become deformed due to years of sitting in the former owner's garage or basement, unused, for years or decades. The radio worked after I replaced the pilot light (and still works to this day), but the damage that could have been caused by that deformed filter could have been a lot worse than it was. Had I made the same mistake with a TV . . . good grief, I shudder to think of it. :yikes:

Don Lindsly
02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
The TV is a decent B & W design using 15 tubes, power transformer and full wave rectifier. The stereo receiver is good product although nothing unique. Power output is average; FM sensitivity is good. Speakers are basic. Model year is 1965-1966.

I agree with Jeff's opinion on value. Don

orthophonic
02-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Interesting that it uses an Admiral/ensign record changer.
Check out the thread above, My Airline Combo, it is the color version of this.
Same radio control panel and similar cabinet.

bgadow
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Yes, very, very close. I know that somebody in the VK community (Polaraman?) had a Muntz color combo. It had a different grille design but I think the overall cabinet was about the same. I'd like to learn more about the 60's Muntz, who was behind them, etc. Somewhere in an old thread it was mentioned that they ended up morphing into TMA (Television Manufacturing of America, I think) which didn't seem to last long at all, in the early 70s. There are also some scans on VK of print ads for small roundie combos that Muntz stores sold very cheap.

zenithfan1
02-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, the Muntz roundie combos are very cheap and were sold cheap. I have one but it's a keeper due to being unique I guess.....

kx250rider
02-25-2012, 12:20 PM
It just goes to show how naive people can be, and how they don't bother to do their research before blowing at least $30 (about what I'd pay for that TV assuming I even wanted it), on that ad.

Charles

DavGoodlin
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Speaking Muntz.. once had a table model like this. Check out the wacky control layout. It was a series-filament set but had a crisp, bright picture.

An illustrated lesson in where not to bump your set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1950S-MUNTZ-TELEVISION-TV-Get-Your-RETRO-On-Classic-Look-/200718280939?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ebbbde8eb

Also had a combo with a 25AP22 and RCA-clone chassis, standard console width with side-firing 6x9 speakers with AM-FM phono under the lid. A most compact console.

Eric H
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Sigh, another 10X overpriced set.

holmesuser01
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
That poor Muntz.

Sandy G
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh, Prunella...

Einar72
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
For those about to Muntz, we salute you! :rockon:

dieseljeep
03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
That poor Muntz.

The trouble is, that is a 24AHP4 CRT. A 110 degree tube. IT's not that common of a tube.
Did you see that toggle switch on the back? The original must be bad.:nono: