View Full Version : Reveenering a early 90's sony television

Thesonyguy
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Hell i was curious if any of you have any expertise or knowledge on reveenering a console tv or speakers? i would like to restore my 32' Sony trinitron from around 1992. i believe its a real wood veneer, but i dont know how to remove the veneer itself? nmaybey one of you can give me some step by step on how to remove old veneer and put new veneer on. all help is greatly appriciated ^_^

zenithfan1
01-25-2012, 02:01 PM
If it's not peeling, go over the top with new stuff. If it is peeling, take off the loose part and fill with wood filler to get the surface flat again. If it's vinyl veneer, it can be loosened with a heat gun (be careful!) or a good hair dryer and a scraper. real wood can be left under the new stuff. I can give more advise as you go along and others will too. I'd go into a lengthy explanation now but I'm at work:yuck:

Thesonyguy
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I've heard from some it is possible to sand the veneer off the mdf wood, and just put new veneer on the mdf itself

VintageJoe
02-12-2012, 12:12 AM
I have heard that you can lay a damp towel on the veneer and use a warm iron to loosen it BUT I have never tried it!

leonk
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
It's almost impossible to remove (think laminate counter top). You're better off going right on top of it. Lots of choice out there in the laminates sections of big box stores for homes.

kx250rider
02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
A lot of those were real veneer over pressboard, but the last "cheapie" consoles were "vinyl wallpaper grain", which peels off like wallpaper if you get hold of the edge. I've never thought about trying to restore one, and in fact, I have to pose the suggestion to go on CL and buy another one exactly like it (or very likely find one in the free column with an electronic problem), and swap cabinets.

Charles