View Full Version : Magnavox color chassis U911

zenith2134
10-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Hey all--

I have been watching a tv which was given to me a while back. It's a 1966 color Maggy which i believe is among the first rectangular tubes...18" ..will find the crt# soon. The thing works but I've decided to test all tubes and of course converge it/set purity ... The cab is the best part of this one, IMO, it's got a nice wood case with a recessed control center..nice design..lit channel dials and yes, UHF. it pulled it channels i didn't know were broadcasting in uhf.simple bowtie 300-z antenna.

So, yes pics are coming but i was hoping someone would recognize this chassis and have general info about it.

"haven't even digged in yet", z-nith

zenith2134
10-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I notice this set has instant-on....luckily its switched off and will remain so..

pic1: snowy raster (no signal)

pic2: Magnacolor control center

zenith2134
10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
hmm, no one eh... that's alright, i plan on getting it going 100 percent, so maybe THAT thread will conjure-up some feel'uns.
Bear with me, i sometimes post these threads after a few :smoke: :smoke: 's

freakaftr8
10-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Wow! The infamous 23EGP22 CRT! I have an extra CRT, great condition and emmission as well. Had that same chassis too a few years back as well. Look out for the cathode current. That chassis eats flybacks for breakfast. Hence the reason I don't use it anymore.

BTW: how was setting the convergence. I had a bear of a time with this one. Once it was dialed in it looked good. The reds really shine on this CRT. The CRT was actually a Motorola concept and was short lived. It's a 22". Did my homework on the CRT. Doug had one of those explode on him a few years ago during a cataract removal proceedure.

My TV lived in a cheap combo unit. THe stereo and record player were decent. I dont think it was AstroSonic sould as the woofers were only 6"er's IIRC.

zenith2134
10-06-2011, 10:15 PM
hey, i got in there today and scoped things out... it isnt a 23egp22. i have the crt number as 4906B22 and it doesnt have the tell tale signs such as cataracts or the 2nd anode being on the side of the funnel.

And freakaftr8 i did not finish lining up the top convergence yet but that purity switch came in handy,, i at least got that far earlier today. i haven not checked cathode current on the 6je6 but the entire set seems to be running cool at room temp..and all original Magnavox USA tubes except the 12ax7 in the pincushion, oddly and a tuner tube.6--- i forget which

no one else at VK has a set with this chassis?

Electronic M
10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm not familiar with that set, but I like it.

Sounds like an easy restoration.

Good luck.

compucat
10-07-2011, 11:11 AM
That crt number sounds fairly modern. Has the tube been replaced at some point? I used to see tube numbers like that in 1990s sets. We would love to see some better pics.

zenith2134
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, the crt number was affixed to the sticker with the build date and chassis number, and certainly looks like original equipment.

I'll take some better pics once I align the raster and coac a repectable pic out of it....

update on tubes...found a very weak 6au6 and replaced it with an RCA i had laying around...much more detail now. All (all!) the other tubes tested fine and most are original as I said...this set smells like 'the past' when it warms up...hard to describe...it's different than when vintage tube audio heats up..

and yes that crt is an oddball number...a quick search of the web yielded zero matches.

zenith2134
10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Just spent this entire time touching up converg...and didnt get very far...it's wayy out at the top and bottom and without a service manual its more difficult...out of patience for now

RobtWB
10-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Wow... that set is remarkably similar to one I have... pix are on vk from sometime in 2010.
The set I have works, but if you look at the screen shot the focus is a bit soft. The only tube color set I have.

radiotvnut
10-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Is there an EIA code on the CRT? That number sounds like a Japanese type CRT. It's a nice set and not one that turns up that much.

zenith2134
10-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Good suggestion about the EIA number, Radiotvnut. will check

RobtWB, I'm assuming this is the 1 in the first pic: http://videokarma.org/showpost.php?p=2986970&postcount=5

it really is similar..tuner knobs, screen bezel, and wooden case look identical.does yours have the 23egp22?

RobtWB
10-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Hello,
That is the correct picture.
Don't remember which crt the set has, I'll look at the set this weekend and post.
Is your set a remote set?

zenith2134
10-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks! Nope mine's not a remote set.

compucat
10-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Just spent this entire time touching up converg...and didnt get very far...it's wayy out at the top and bottom and without a service manual its more difficult...out of patience for now

You will need the service manual to do the setup correctly. Since the convergence controls interact with one another, they must be adjusted in sequence. I find that convergence can seldom be made perfect. When I was setting up my Zenith roundie I would get frustrated that the convergence was not exact but if I got about six feet away from the set it looked perfect.

dieseljeep
10-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Is there an EIA code on the CRT? That number sounds like a Japanese type CRT. It's a nice set and not one that turns up that much.

I bought and sold one of those sets several years ago. The crt was the same and it was dead. The location chart showed either a 19EYP22 or 470***. I used a 19EY for a replacement. The original one had a separate safety glass and was stamped NEC.

RobtWB
10-07-2011, 09:15 PM
here are a couple of screen shots from the Maggie I have.
these were taken when I brought the set home.
as you can see it is a bit out of adjustment.
I have done nothing with this set since I brought it home. it has lived in a closet for over a year now.
as I once told sampson159, I wish that I had a Star Trek transporter - I would gladly beam this set to your workbench.

Electronic M
10-07-2011, 10:08 PM
RobtWB, if you ever want to bring that set out milwaukee way I'd be willing to preform a complete adjustment of the purity,convergence, horizontal output current, vert linearity and height. Can't see mush else needing work on it.

zenith2134
10-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Yep pretty much the same one..the UHF tuner dial has the 'bouncy' numbers (as you turn the knob) LOL.
..my bad about not posting better followup.i'm going to measure cathode current and finish convergence and i bet itll last a while seeing as it's a seemingly low-use set

grimer
10-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Hey Tom-
Glad to see your fixing up the Maggotbox !

zenith2134
10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks! Yeah as you know, I really like this tv...I really hope I can get it perfect. Just gotta finish it now

zenith2134
10-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Hey not sure if anyone is still tuned in to this one but
Spent most of my afternoon fixing up the u911.
1) external degausser after orienting the set east-west
2)removed both converg. and purity yokes and centered the deflection yoke.
(turns out that was what was wrong after all. I couldnt get perfect red purity before)
3)started from the beginning(worst setup ever, plus one frozen coil i almost destroyed)
4) now it's about 95percent done and looks pretty good for what it is. no glaring problems, ready for prime time.
and lastly, most importantly, 6JE6 cathode stabilized at about 190mA but the adjuster still has wide range. I chose this because the tube tested near new Gm and it seemed to be the sweetest spot of operation point.
pics later

freakaftr8
10-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Way to go! I know that my magnavox put out a good pic. The 23EGP22 can actually look quite good when properly aligned. It was a pain though. My hats off to you!