View Full Version : NZ made 1960's Admiral TV

Glenz75
09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi, this has appeared for sale on a local auction site. The styling looks to be something like I've seen around these parts. Its black and white and all tube.
Its too far away for me to pickup and to be honest space is an issue at the moment. Would be nice though I kind of like the look of it.
Heres a photo anyway for your interest. :)

Cheers Glen.

dieseljeep
09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
That set looks like the US Admiral. The front bezel even has a knockout for the UHF tuner option. Admiral seemed to do some unusual designs on their products. Like two different IF frequencies on their sets. The UHF/VHF sets had 41 MHZ and the VHF only sets had 21 MHZ IF's. They did this all the way to 1958.

Glenz75
09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Dieseljeep :) I thought that it looked very much like a copy of a US Admiral. We only had VHF back then and I think the chassis may have been an NZ design?...not too sure on that one though.
Cheers Glen

dieseljeep
09-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks Dieseljeep :) I thought that it looked very much like a copy of a US Admiral. We only had VHF back then and I think the chassis may have been an NZ design?...not too sure on that one though.
Cheers Glen

I saw an Admiral on one of the NZ or Aussie sites and the chassis looked simular to their US counterparts. I think many the electronics built in your two countries, seemed to resemble US products, vs European or British.