View Full Version : Older Sony Menu Access?

Beachboy
06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
I acquired a 1992 vintage Sony KV-13TR27 TV this weekend. Naturally, it didn't come with a remote (does anyone NOT lose their remotes??). I've tried using several universal remotes with it, and I have had NO luck accessing the menu for adjusting the color, tint, brightness, etc. I've tried every Sony code the remote manuals suggest, and I can make the remotes work fine for power, volume, channel, muting, etc, but I can't get into the menu settings. I don't see anyplace on the front panel controls to access the menu function, either.

I have the original Sony remote to a same-year Sony 20" XBR series TV, but that remote's video buttons won't access the little Sony's menu either. So am I basically stuck with the video settings forever, or does anyone know how to break into the video settings menu? Thanks for any ideas you might have. I hate to junk this little Sony, since it seems to have a great picture (once I tweak the color intensity and hue).

mstaton
06-12-2011, 10:10 PM
I looked at the owners manual online. You have to have the original remote. Says "press select repeatedly until the on-screen display of the item to be adjusted appears, then press level +/-". Remote number is RM-781. Does not use the menu button like other TV's

Eric H
06-12-2011, 10:27 PM
IIRC, the XBR would access each setting directly, no pressing buttons until you reached the adjustment you wanted, that's probably why it won't work.

I would think that any other Sony TV remote of a similar era should work though.

Here's one for $7.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-RM-781-REMOTE-CONTROL-/120729806861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c0ea80d

This looks exactly like the remote for my 20" Sony I got in 1991.
Thrift Stores often have these or similar.

andy
06-13-2011, 12:03 AM

VINTAGE.FAN
06-13-2011, 10:45 AM
I used to own this exact set when i was about 13, first tv actually, and sadly the remote went M.I.A and I was then stuck with it in ant mode, with no way to access any functions other than volume and power until the set died late last year. Great little set with a horrible menu design! Only the original remote will do all functions

kx250rider
06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree that you would be best served by getting hold of the remote with those buttons. The service menu wouldn't help you much anyway, because you need to have "MUTE" and "ENTER" buttons to write and store.

Charles

Beachboy
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys! Actually, I have what appears to be that same pictured remote on a 1988 19" Sony that I gave to my Mom recently. I'll have to borrow the remote, and leave her with a universal remote temporarily.

I couldn't find an owners manual online, I checked retreivo.com, manualsonline.com and usersmanualguide.com and they didn't have it. Mstaton, what site did you find the owner's manual at?

This is the second 1990's era Sony TV that I've adopted that the remote control architecture doesn't always work smoothly with modern universal remotes.

Thanks again for your help on this issue. I only paid $5 for this TV, but I hate to toss it just because I can't adjust the color better than the factory pre-set values. With your help and my Mom's remote, hopefully I can breathe some life back into the old girl.

mstaton
06-13-2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV13EXR90.PDF

Beachboy
06-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks, mstaton, for the link. Appreciate it greatly. Also, I decided to go ahead and get the RM-781 remote from Eric H's link. I figured it might be my one and only chance to get the correct remote, so I didn't want to waste any time. It was my first time using Ebay (I guess I need to join the 21st century eventually) and the seller said it's in the mail today.

mstaton
06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Your are very welcome!