View Full Version : Magnavox television question

magnasonic66
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
A friend gave me a 1971-72 Magnavox television cabinet today, I think you could say traditional style in maple, and solid wood. It has folding doors, and still has the speakers. It's a top of the line console, 46" wide, 21" deep, and 29" tall. Do any of these things turn up at all with all of the works still inside? If I hadn't taken it, I had talked him into taking it to a thrift store, it is such a fine looking piece, even though empty. Ordinarily I would not take gutted consoles but I made this an exception. I did find one complete late '60s Maggie with tambour doors, but couldn't make the deal at the time.

holmesuser01
05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Is there a model sticker on it anywhere, or maybe a chassis schematic?

Best of luck. You might just find a chassis and bezel for it.

magnasonic66
05-10-2011, 07:02 PM
The man my friend got it from put a pegboard back on it instead of the original tv back, and there is one sticker on the left inside with instructions on how to handle the picture tube, and how it's best to stick with the original type. No stickers on the bottom either. I know model numbers are different from chassis numbers, but the cabinet design shows up in the '71 and '72 brochures. I don't have a clue how simple it would be to replace the insides, but I was mostly curious about their survival rate when they show up at all. It makes a good hide-all for the time being.

Electronic M
05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Awhile back I found a late 60s maggie that was missing all it's guts except for the control pannel and speakers (when it died some onestuck an 80s zenith in the cabbinet) so at the end of the estate sale I talked the sellers into letting me take the speakers and control pannel for cheap.

I do not think I've ever owned anything with tubes from magnovox that was complete.

Tom C.

magnasonic66
05-12-2011, 04:07 AM
Here's a bad picture of the cabinet, I can't find the picture in the standard brochures from 1970 to 74, and not long after that they stopped putting folding doors on the cabinets. I wonder now if it is a Magnavox after all. I still want a complete set, but I'm not going to try to reassemble this thing. I did find the TOL Aegean Classic a few years earlier, with tambour doors, couldn't get that at the time either.