View Full Version : Quick Question: RCA 25XP22/AP22A. Black Matrix?

Carmine
12-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Tube is labeled "colorama", but is a rebuild. Want to install a good black matrix tube in my Zenith Emperor. Is this what I'll have? Hooking up the CRT tester now...

Carmine
12-26-2010, 06:21 PM
CRT passes with flying colors (pun intended)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/?action=view&current=SU1HMDAwNjItMjAxMDEyMjYtMTkwOS5qcGc.jpg

The Emperor is down! The Emperor is down!

miniman82
12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Your link is bogus, here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/SU1HMDAwNjItMjAxMDEyMjYtMTkwOS5qcGc.jpg

bgadow
12-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't think so. I'm thinking all the black matrix tubes would have been from the 23V series. The 25XP/AP is an older type. You can usually tell from looking at the faceplate as the phosphor dots will be well defined with the set off. With the non-black matrix tube you really have to look close to see them.

Carmine
12-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Your link is bogus, here:

That's what happens when you post from a phone I guess...:scratch2:

Carmine
12-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't think so. I'm thinking all the black matrix tubes would have been from the 23V series. The 25XP/AP is an older type. You can usually tell from looking at the faceplate as the phosphor dots will be well defined with the set off. With the non-black matrix tube you really have to look close to see them.

I think you are correct. I examined a chromacolor tube up close, and could see the black matrix. Just gray on the "colorama". :no:

I was perhaps wishfully thinking that colorama was RCA's trade name for a black matrix tube.

ctc17
12-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Nope not matrix. That set should have a fairly good picture. What chassis is in it?

Between DaveWM and I we have around 10 of those vintage Zeniths. They very rarely need electrolytic caps. They always have one or two challenging problems that seem to center around HV regulation or Chroma. They flybacks are really robust in those sets.

I remember you saying this set worked and had a bad crt or something.

radiotvnut
12-28-2010, 01:10 AM
IIRC, "colorama" is RCA's designation for their rebuilt color CRT's. "Hi-Lite" is their line of new color CRT's.

Carmine
12-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Nope not matrix. That set should have a fairly good picture. What chassis is in it?

Between DaveWM and I we have around 10 of those vintage Zeniths. They very rarely need electrolytic caps. They always have one or two challenging problems that seem to center around HV regulation or Chroma. They flybacks are really robust in those sets.

I remember you saying this set worked and had a bad crt or something.

I started a new thread for the CRT replacement (which now looks like it may come from a Chromacolor set that works well, but is in a "blah" cabinet).

sampson159
12-28-2010, 01:45 PM
that rca crt will give you a good result.a zenith 23v from the chromacolor series would be the ideal swap.i havent seen one of these sets for years.there is one advertised on the etf site.it is in hilliard,ohio.i have tried to contact owner several times with no response.my zenith tuber has a sylvania black matrix crt.if this is a keeper set for you,i will try to locate a black matrix crt for you.good luck and i enjoy spaghetti too.

andy
12-28-2010, 04:32 PM
---