View Full Version : On the subject of plasma's....

freakaftr8
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Hope you guys dont hate me for this, (starting plasma talk on the forum)..
But I have aquired this 42" Magnavox (Samsung guts) plasma. The Power supply had a blown voltage regulator IC for the Vscan circuit. I replaced it and a shorted zener diode in it's path. Now with Vscan restored it should normally operate at -190vdc. Im getting a whopping -305vdc and is not adjustable via the Vscan pot. I have checked the pot to make sure it is operating and it works. Any ideas? I am stumped.

Originally either the PS blew the y-sus and buffers or the buffer shorted, wreaked havoc on the sustain and then harmed the PS. Haven't gotten that far yet until I can restore the supply to norm operation.

andy
12-07-2010, 04:16 PM

radiotvnut
12-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I've seen the problem in many cheap later model CRT sets with switching power supplies and the problem is generally one of the things that's mentioned above. Unfortunately, the extremely elevated B+ voltages usually fries other circuits in the TV. Many times, to the point where the TV isn't worth fixing. I suspect the same can happen to a plasma or LCD TV.

freakaftr8
12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Absolutely. Im going to look at the optocoupler. I have seen these go bad. Good call guys! Thanks again

Findm-Keepm
12-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Is this close to what you are working on?

Gateway, it seems is also made by Samsung, and they post some of the service manuals for Plasma sets on their website. A Google Search turned up this one:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/HomeTheater/GTW-P42M203.pdf

LG, I could help greatly. With Samsung, it's always been about dead sets and 35V electrolytics - 470, 680 and 820uf, along with any others that are obviously bad.

Cheers,

peverett
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
This is not related to the Plasma TV. but I attended a seminar given by a company trying to design a solar cell inverter that will last 25 years(the same as the solar cell panel life). They said that they avoided two things in their design:
Optocouplers and Electrolytic capacitors.

Sounds like optocouplers, like electrolytics, are trouble!

andy
12-07-2010, 06:45 PM

freakaftr8
12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Which pins are the output on one optocoupler? The side with the dot denoting pins 1 and 2 or is it 3 and 4?

freakaftr8
12-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Somehow as I was testing caps last night I ran across a small non polarized picofarad cap that read nothing on my meter. It was labeled 104. Well replaced it with a 102 now I still have unmanageable voltage but it's lower at -220vdc. And surges.

andy
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM

andy
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM

freakaftr8
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
thanks for te tip Andy! Guess im lucky I didn't smoke something

freakaftr8
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Well Andy you were right! I shorted the two output pins on the opto and to my surprise the voltage dropped to roughly 1.2vdc. So the primart side is working. Since I have checked out the secondary side components minus the opto, im going to replace it. My question is the opto is labeled p421. I have some other plasma power supplies and im wondering if I can use it's optocoupler? Mine is tan colored and the others are black. They would be coming from the same principle on that board.

andy
12-09-2010, 12:47 PM

freakaftr8
12-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Ok will do. When I get the power supply back to spec guess I get to see what lovely damage it did to the Ysus and buffers. Well I aready know the buffers are done for. The upper one smells great!

freakaftr8
12-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Well it certianly was the optocoupler, I found one off a junk ysus board out of an LG. Worked like a charm. Now im repairing all the damaged mosfets and IC's on the ysus from the havoc the power supply caused.

Oh and the upper buffer actually had all 6 IC's burn, and literaly burned the board. lol

These plasma's that have no internal cooling structure get so hot you could flip it face down in your counter and use it as a range top to fry eggs. I have a few junkers here, (I might actually try it and put it on YT). lol

radiotvnut
12-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I've heard of a few cases where these hot plasma TV's actually scorched the walls behind where they were hanging.

freakaftr8
12-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Good to know! Not sure which would be better.. A plasma that melts paint off the wall or a 60's GE that pulls nails outta the walls.. lol

mbates14
12-14-2010, 10:23 PM
i hope you didnt harm the COF ICs on the panel, if so, your toast.

I got one of those stupid units with bad buffers as well. problem is, i put another buffer on it, the picture just "flashes" and smokes a random buffer IC.

Changed the bad mosfet on the sustain card, but still does it.

gonna probably junk it.