View Full Version : Found Zenith SC 400 Tabletop L3311-3

Eric H
11-26-2010, 07:19 PM
I just picked up this Zenith 23" B&W set from the local thrift store.

I almost missed it, it was in the outside area way in the back on a rack with some other sets, it was hidden behind some junk, nearly killed myself lugging it the 120 feet to the register.

It's really clean, original screws still holding the back on, no damage I can find other than three of the four plastic feet were broken off when they slid it on the wire shelf it was on, I found them underneath and grabbed them.

There was no remote with it, the one hanging on it is from my other SC400, the remote function seems to be inop but the set comes on, the power tuner screeches loudly but does change the channels.

I think a little work will put this set back in the pink easily!

Oh, it was half off day so this cost me a whopping $3.80 out the door.

RobtWB
11-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Nice find.
Especially at $ 3.80
I assume it is a metal cabinet with the metal back?

Eric H
11-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I assume it is a metal cabinet with the metal back?

Yes, all metal, possibly Lead judging by the weight. :D

radiotvnut
11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice set! Since it's an "L" line, I think that would make it a '64 model. It's rare to find a set this old in a thrift store as most of them get tossed by the store workers because they consider them "too old" to sell. I brought back a similar 15L23 chassis non remote set from SC and I'm looking forward to getting it back in operation. It's hard to kill those old Zenith B&W sets once they are fixed up correctly.

Eric H
11-29-2010, 08:57 PM
I took the back off today and had a look inside this set, it's very clean other than the normal bit of Yoke Rot.

I popped the tuner out and oiled up the motor and fine tuning parts, the little gear that engages the fine tuning gears in the tuner was cracked and slipping but I epoxied it, I also replaced the rubber drive belt with an O Ring.

The power tuning is smooth as silk now but sometimes it gets stuck and won't stop! Also the remote chassis seems to be malfunctioning, at least it doesn't respond at all to the clicker I have (or jingling keys) pressing the relays by hand does get things moving.

The remote chassis is Solid State, all transistors.

I hooked up the BT Agile Modulator I received today, I set it up in the Kitchen.
I hooked a set of Ears to this TV out in the garage and was able to tune in the channel with no problem.

This set has a beautiful picture and I haven't done a thing to it other than oil the tuner!

It's bright enough to show a picture with the flash on even!

Adam
11-29-2010, 10:31 PM
I've never seen a table set with the 400 remote before, all mine have the 300.

radiotvnut
11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice! That CRT looks very strong. I wonder if the CRT was made by Sylvania or Zenith/Rauland? I think EIA #312 is Sylvania. I look forward to getting my metal cabinet Zenith, along with the SC300 console, fixed up.