View Full Version : How much to pay? Zenith SC 400

RobtWB
11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
There is for sale a late 50's Zenith Space Command 400 b/w console with phono and am/fm. Original Space Commander remote included. Danish Modern style cabinetry.
It is cosmetically near perfect and appears to operate perfectly. I am told $1500 was the price when new. I believe it may be the X2294HQ from ~ 1956.
Any ideas on how much I should pay for it?

marty59
11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I'd start off by getting rid of one of those zeros from the "so called" new price. And maybe more important is how bad do you want it/what is a fair price to you?

Some sellers actually think things like this appreciate or hold value over time... and the worse that the condition the CRT is, the price goes down even quicker...especially with no Scotty anymore.

andy
11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
---

RobtWB
11-19-2010, 12:07 PM
This tv/radio/phono cabinet is the highest quality cabinet I have seen in person.
The cabinet is as flawless as one can be after 50+ years. Beautiful drop dead gorgeous walnut.
The only flaws I can find with the set are a chip out of the back of the Space Commander remote causing it not to hang square on its holder, and the needle on the dial of the radio is slightly off center.
I'll probably go ahead and get the set, just for its beauty and craftsmanship.

bgadow
11-20-2010, 10:27 PM
There don't seem to be many late 50s combos out there, not compared to the early 50s or the 60s. If you like it, go for it! Personally I couldn't see sinking much money into it-somewhere in America right now, somebody is probably setting one of these out on the curb. Note that I have had poor luck with Zenith crts from this era, so if you can check that first it may be a bargaining tool. Probably not a real hard crt to find.