View Full Version : '72 19" Sharp remote color TV w/ OSD

radiotvnut
11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I brought back this circa '72 Sharp 19" remote tube/transistor hybrid color TV from SC. This set uses a battery operated 4 button ultrasonic remote that controls VHF, UHF, power/volume, and channel display.

Even though this is a clean looking TV that appears to never have been sold, it has some serious issues. When we found the set, the cabinet back was not secured to the TV and we had to find some screws to hold it together. When I got it home, I discovered that the 36KD6 HOT was missing. The only thing I had was a 30KD6; so, I tried that one for testing purposes. The on/off/volume function works; but, the channel motors will not operate. I can hear the relay click; but, the motors will not turn. After several minutes, the HV came up with a very dim raster. Pressing the channel indicator button on the remote confirmed that the OSD channel display worked. Now, here comes the really bad part. The 510CYB22 CRT is nearly dead and rejuvenating it didn't do much good. This is an instant on set and it probably killed itself from years of being plugged in on the shelf.

I must say that this is the first tube set that I've seen with OSD. I'd really like to fix this set; but, have no idea where I'd find a CRT for it. I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts on this one.

I thought I had the original paperwork on this set; but, what I actually got was the paperwork for a C1923 non remote set. My set is a C1933. Actually, this is the first Sharp tube color set that I've seen.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_1101sharp0001.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_1101sharp0002.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_1101sharp0003.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_1101sharp0004.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_1101sharp0005.jpg

AUdubon5425
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I found an old VDC replacement guide online - it lists the 510CZB22 as the replacement. Unfortunately, VDC no longer offers that CRT.

Here's a list of all the CRTs in that list that cross to a 510CZB22 - maybe someone has one of them:

510ALB22
510AVB22
510CTB22
510CYB22
510CZB22
510JB22
510UB22

ctc17
11-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Did you bring home one of those rebranded GE Packard Bells last time? That crt should work in there.

andy
11-01-2010, 11:29 PM
---

radiotvnut
11-02-2010, 12:42 AM
The OSD is a big white number in the center of the screen. I've already thought about using an American tube. I don't think it will be a problem as long as it can be mounted in the cabinet.

kx250rider
11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
GREAT find!!!! I always wanted to get hold of one of those. I think it's the only pre-all transistor set with OSD. Besides that, the Magnavox Star System of '74-ish is the first, as far as I remember. Sony didn't come out with OSD until '81, with the rare & costly 30" console KV-3000R.

The OSD is a big white number in the center of the screen. I've already thought about using an American tube. I don't think it will be a problem as long as it can be mounted in the cabinet.

That's an odd envelope, if I recall. The only two swappable Japanese and US tubes of that era, would be the 490xxxB22 and 19xxP22. Maybe with a little fooling around with the mounting, you could get an 18V in there, but I'd try for a correct one first.

Charles

zenith2134
11-02-2010, 02:03 PM
A '72 tube chassis tv with OSD?! Now I've seen it all.

That is a stellar find. I hope you can work out something with the crt.

Jeffhs
11-02-2010, 02:47 PM
The CRT in that set must have been a very good one, if it worked 38 years. I'm tempted to think the set was used quite a bit, which will weaken any CRT over time. I've seen and owned a few b&w sets with 20-year-old CRTs that still produced a bright raster and a decent picture, but color tubes seem to weaken more quickly due to increased beam current and much higher HV (25kv+ in a color set as opposed to 18-20kV in a b&w one). I don't think the instant-on system had that much to do with it; in fact, with the filaments always on, I would think there would actually be less wear on the CRT guns and much less thermal shock to the heaters than there would be in a standard TV.

I agree with the advice to replace the CRT in this set with an identical one, if at all possible. Tube substitution is an emergency procedure, to be used when the correct tube isn't available. Zenith's 1950s-'60s tube-type TVs had a warning printed on the tube layout chart, stating that only tubes identical to the type originally in the set should be used as replacements, but this applies to any tube-type TV, radio, stereo, etc.

Jeffhs
11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
The CRT in that set must have been a very good one, if it worked 38 years. I'm tempted to think the set was used quite a bit, which will weaken any CRT over time. I've seen and owned a few b&w sets with 20-year-old CRTs that still produced a bright raster and a decent picture, but color tubes seem to weaken more quickly due to increased beam current and much higher HV (25kv+ in a color set as opposed to 18-20kV or less in a b&w one). I don't think the instant-on system had that much to do with it; in fact, with the filaments always on, I would think there would actually be less wear on the CRT guns and much less thermal shock to the heaters than there would be in a standard TV.

I agree with Charles's advice to replace the CRT in this set with an identical one, if at all possible. Tube substitution is an emergency procedure, to be used when the correct tube isn't available. Zenith's 1950s-'60s tube-type TVs had a warning printed on the tube layout chart, stating that only tubes identical to the type originally in the set should be used as replacements, but this applies to any tube-type TV, radio, stereo, etc.

BTW, I think the use of a 30KD6 in place of the original HO tube in this set might have something (or everything) to do with the problems you are experiencing with the remote. I'd put the correct tube in there; that may solve the problem, and give you a brighter picture to boot. Some of these sets were very particular as to the horizontal oscillator and/or output tube -- it absolutely had to be the same type as the one being replaced. In fact, in some ultrasonic remote TVs, the horizontal oscillator running far off frequency, or the output tube radiating much more signal than it should (well outside established limits which could and often did, long before HV shutdown circuits became a required part of all color TV high-voltage systems, cause an X-ray hazard as well), can trigger the remote receiver -- causing all hell to break loose, as in the TV changing channels at random, the sound muting and unmuting itself, the set turning itself on and off ... name it.

radiotvnut
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I am going to obtain the correct HOT. I only used the 30KD6 as a test. Once I get the chassis up and running correctly, I'll find a CRT.

I don't think actual use killed this TV; but, I do think "instant on" did it. There were many NOS "instant on" TV's in that shop that were plugged in and had likely been plugged in since the early '70's. Many of these TV's had dead/weak CRT's. If I get this set working; I will, if possible, disable the "instant on" feature.

AUdubon5425
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I have a 36KD6 if you can't find one in the workshop

RobtWB
11-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Nothing quite like early OSD - those large block numerals are cool.
That old Heath 19" color set I have has OSD - but the CRT has reached the end of its life - maybe someday I'll stumble upon a replacement RCA inline gun/slotted mask crt with the bonded yoke.

Findm-Keepm
11-02-2010, 09:02 PM
That's an odd envelope, if I recall. The only two swappable Japanese and US tubes of that era, would be the 490xxxB22 and 19xxP22. Maybe with a little fooling around with the mounting, you could get an 18V in there, but I'd try for a correct one first.

Charles

510XXXB22 envelope size = 18.898" diagonal, closer to the early 19V's (18.897'' diagonal as registered with EIA) - the 490XXXB22 envelopes are either 17.637 or 18.075" diagonal. Basing, neck length and mounting method are your biggest worries. Yours is probably a typcial 14BE basing, but as for neck length, 510XXXB22's are all over the place - blame Hitachi, Toshiba and Clinton(Taiwan) - all three had their own neck arrangement. The neck length differences are small - only a CM or so for most. Mounting methods are also varied - does your Sanyo use a banded lug system, corner mounts, or integral lugs?

Just for example, for the 510ELB22, RCA lists 19VDT/VED/VEU/VBR/VHB.VCTP22's as possible direct replacements. For the 510ERB22, similar 19V replacements are all that is offered. Both the RCA PIX-300G(1973) and PIX-300J(1975) CRT Guides have only these two 510-series CRTs listed.

Cheers,

bgadow
11-05-2010, 10:02 PM
I have a used 510CMB22 out of a Magnavox, tests good. But no idea if it will work in this application.