View Full Version : Honest, Dad, it followed me home! (another Maggie)

holmesuser01
10-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I have no business bringing this one into the house, but I couldn't let the owners toss it like they were planning to do. It sat through a yard sale with no offers.

The owner tells me that it has not been turned on since about 1974 or so, when Mama got color TV. They ran the stereo sometimes, but stopped using it when tapes came along.

It's a Magnavox AM/FM/Phono/ 24" B/W TV in a cherry cabinet. It has all the factory paperwork with it, and is in really nice shape. It's a model #1MV356R. On 3/30/73, an RCA Silverama 24AHP4 was installed. I've gotten this info from the paperwork envelope.

I'll have pictures as soon as I can. The set is safely loaded on the back of my truck... out of the weather... Until I can figure out where to put this baby.

DaveWM, I have a name from Magnavox for the video sentry/videomatic feature that our Maggie B/W's have. It's in the owners booklet: It's MAGNALUX. Cool, Eh?

If the set is totally fried, its still a very nice piece of furniture. Sliding doors covering the CRT face... Nice.

DaveWM
10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I have no business bringing this one into the house, but I couldn't let the owners toss it like they were planning to do. It sat through a yard sale with no offers.

The owner tells me that it has not been turned on since about 1974 or so, when Mama got color TV. They ran the stereo sometimes, but stopped using it when tapes came along.

It's a Magnavox AM/FM/Phono/ 24" B/W TV in a cherry cabinet. It has all the factory paperwork with it, and is in really nice shape. It's a model #1MV356R. On 3/30/73, an RCA Silverama 24AHP4 was installed. I've gotten this info from the paperwork envelope.

I'll have pictures as soon as I can. The set is safely loaded on the back of my truck... out of the weather... Until I can figure out where to put this baby.

DaveWM, I have a name from Magnavox for the video sentry/videomatic feature that our Maggie B/W's have. It's in the owners booklet: It's MAGNALUX. Cool, Eh?

If the set is totally fried, its still a very nice piece of furniture. Sliding doors covering the CRT face... Nice.

You can't kill them, it will work. sounds like the one I have, get some pics.

I am guessing an astrosonic vs Tube stereo. Its my daily watcher for leave it to beaver

holmesuser01
10-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Two other things:

There is nothing marked Astrosonic on the bezel of the tuner. So, I doubt there is anything much transistorized.

The Micromatic turntable looks no different from the others I have from the early 1960's, but, there is a label on the TT deck marked IMPERIAL. Different version of the TT, possibly? I may get this set off the truck today.

DaveWM
10-10-2010, 01:38 PM
thats the best maggie TT I think, prob all tube, good news!

holmesuser01
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm always happy when there are no transistors involved.

JCFitz
10-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I have a 1960 Magnavox stereo only(no tv) and the turntable has the Imperial label on it. It's all tubes. Wonder if yours has the push pull V6 amplifier like my stereo does.Does your AM/FM dial say "Magnificent Magnavox" also ?

DaveWM
10-10-2010, 09:20 PM
the best ones have the tuner with the MONSTER tuning wheel (has a tuned RF section on the AM and FM, and uses a VC for FM instead of the tuned inductor (pull string) like on the cheaper tuner.

there are a bunch of amps, the best IMHO is the big tranny 6bq5's PP with the choke power supply with a 5U4.

The 6v6 is also very good, and the tubes are a bit less pricey think it has a 9 pin mini tube rectifier.

holmesuser01
10-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I have 3 Maggie amps with push-pull 6V6, 7025, and 12AX7 with the 5U4 rectifier. One, I've been dragging around with me since I was a little kid.

I couldnt get the Maggie TV off the truck today, but did take a single pic thru the side of the bedcover. I cant wait to see whats inside the cabinet!

The goo on the safety glass looks much worse in person.

radiotvnut
10-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Pretty safe bet that's an all tube unit. Years ago, I had an early '60's model that was similar. It used a big PP 6BQ5 stereo amp and it had the little photocell for adjusting the picture according to room lighting. I gave $20 for that set, kept it until I ran out of room, sold it to my neighbor for $20, and then they moved to Texas. I'm sure it's been dumped by now.

DaveWM
10-11-2010, 08:24 AM
there is a youtube video out there somewhere of a guy that got one of those all tube TV stereo.

I fear that a lot of them succumb to audio guys ripping the amps out, too bad as I think they sound great in the orig cabinet, esp the ones with the horn tweets.

On mine I have a remote for channel and volume. Dont use the volume much since the cable box has that, but the volume is fun when wanting adj while listening to the radio. The main power is turned off by kachunking thru the channnel to the UHF setting, which on mine turns everything off.

holmesuser01
10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
In order to get this cherry Maggie into the house, I will be moving my 23" Maggie with the new CRT to a location in the house that is currently home to a 1962 Maggie Astrosonic with 10" woofers and horn tweeters. I plan to strip it. It's in good shape, with everything working. Just needs the controls cleaned, again.

The new cherry set is much larger than the other Maggie TV. Only one place to put it in the house.

For now, its doing the cherry set a world of good sitting on the back of the truck. The heat is probably getting rid of some dampness, I hope. When I open the back of the truck, I can smell the previous owners house.

If I get some time this afternoon, maybe I can get in the truck and remove the set back long enough for a few candid pics.

Got The Pics!!

It has another V36 TV chassis. I need a schematic for it. Lots of replaced tubes, and kine.

The audio amp is 6BQ5's, 12AX7's, and a 5U4GB... All OEM.

The tuner is non-MPX, dammit. I think it is the tuner that DaveWM mentioned that he likes so much. Flywheel, too!

It's hard to take a pic of the turntable, since the top of the bedcover is so low. Anyway, it's the first Imperial I have seen.

Whoever worked on it conveniently left some of the tube shields off on the radio tuner. Lazy Bum!

12" or 15" speakers with horns!!

freakaftr8
10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Change that orange paper cap underneath the AC input to the TV chassis. It's a disaster waitin to happen.

Eric H
10-11-2010, 04:10 PM
This looks like it might be the same model as the one I had to leave at the Thrift here in CA, glad you could save one!

DaveWM
10-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Thats got all the good stuff, nice save.

you will need to recap the amp, there are some paper caps used to couple the audio to the grids of the 6bq5. Dont even bother to try it just pull the amp and replace. the filter maybe ok, you can pull the 6bq5s out and do a slow current monitored power up to see if they are ok.

I dont think you are missing any shields, that last one is the dual diode detector I think. and yes that is the good tuner.

Did you get horn's?

any yes that is the very desirable TT... great find. MPX's come up all the time, 10-30$

holmesuser01
10-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks.

"Some tube shields" means one, that I noticed. I musta mispoke... I was so excited pulling the back off for the first time.

I have HORNS!!!

I've made an order for my DuMont caps. Next, I'll order enough for both of the Maggie sets I have.

This set is one of Run #5. I always notice that tag along with the model number printed on the little sticker on these sets.

DaveWM
10-12-2010, 07:58 AM
that will be a nice sounding unit. keep you eyes open for an mpx. There are two kinds, a 2 tube and a 3 tube. Being a tube junky i naturally prefer the 3 tube version although I dont know if one is better than another. Oh and if you are not familar with that set, the balance is a inner control, you need to pull the Bass control know off to access it I think.

The Tuner is nice in that it has a HUGE dial, so easy to tune, however it does need a decent antenna. It prob has a dipole antenna built into the back. A better option is the one they sell at rat shack (twin lead in a T config). I ended up just attaching that to the back of the set under the back board.

The tuner has a can cap, think its a two section, a dual eletro used as a cathode bypass in the preamp circuit, and I think it may have two papers that couple the output from the preamp to the rca jacks.

I clean up the pots and use a needle oiling unit to lube up the rolling point of the tuning system, when done it will have a nice smooth feel.

The TT is pretty good for the era (much better than some of the other junk on other brands of the day), hopefully the ider wheel is ok, if so then you will prob just want to clean up the plattter bearing and re lube. Try it and see 1st.

Good chance you will need a new needle, if it skips a lot.

holmesuser01
10-12-2010, 08:12 AM
EVERY set I have rescued had a bad needle. I didnt even look at the one on this Imperial yet.

According to the owners booklet, it uses the E-V metal needle that clips to the body of the cartridge. I happen to have 2 of these on hand... bought 25 years ago as spares for the Maggie I had then (and now.) We shall see...