View Full Version : Another 12" B&W came home with me - '84 Emerson

radiotvnut
08-28-2010, 12:13 AM
A lady that I know, who is all the time having yard sales and shops at yard sales, was given this '84 Emerson 12" B&W TV by another lady who I've gotten a few things from in the past. It was evident that this TV was in someone's kitchen by all the grease that I cleaned off of it. Also, the CRT mask has two pieces broken out and there is something running down the face of the CRT that I can't get off. Fortunately, it does not look too bad when the set is on. I think this set was actually made by Goldstar and back in the early '90's, I was finding many TV's like this under the Emerson, Goldstar, and Midland brand names. It seems that these sets were commonly found with weak CRT's; but, this one is still fairly strong. After a good tuner and control cleaning, it works fairly well. My only complaint is that the focus is not quite as sharp as I think it should be. I remember some of these sets had the option to connect the focus pin of the CRT to ground or some voltage sources for best focus. I'll have to look into that on this set. Or, this one may be as sharp as it's going to get and I'll just have to remember that this was a cheap TV and it can't be expected to perform as good as a Zenith, RCA, Magnavox, etc. This set uses a 310EUB4 CRT, which uses a 12V filament. I think that CRT type is very common in many 12" Korean built B&W TV's from the late '70's and '80's.

It seems like I'm finding a lot of these 5"/9"/12" B&W TV's since the DTV transition. When I got this set, the tuner was set to our local channel 11. I suspect that it was used up until the DTV transition and then the owner decided that it was not worth the effort to buy a converter box for this set.

And, I'm still on the lookout for any interesting 9"/12" sets. Especially an "XB" chassis GE, a '70's Zenith denim covered "sidekick", a digital tuning Zenith from the '80's, any of the Bicentennial sets (I know Zenith and GE made them), or any other old sets from the '60's or '70's that are in colored cabinets. Fortunately, much of what I'm looking for is still common and should be fairly easy to find if I look hard enough.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0827EMERSON0001.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0827EMERSON0002.jpg

jstout66
08-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I have a 12" Zenith Denim Sidekick you can have, but not sure it would be worth the shipping. It's a 4 tube hybrid. It has a horizontal sync issue. Works for about 1/2 hour, than looses sync.

bgadow
08-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I remember those well...all those happy shopping visits to Woolworths or Ames, browsing through the electronics department. Emerson was the king at those places.

I have maybe 10 twelve-inchers around here, mostly tube chassis. There are a couple orange-colored Philco-Fords, which are as interesting as any of them. I wouldn't mind sending most of these sets to new homes.

YamahaFreak
08-28-2010, 11:02 PM
I remember those well...all those happy shopping visits to Woolworths or Ames, browsing through the electronics department. Emerson was the king at those places.

I have maybe 10 twelve-inchers around here, mostly tube chassis. There are a couple orange-colored Philco-Fords, which are as interesting as any of them. I wouldn't mind sending most of these sets to new homes.

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I heard someone say they wanted rid of tube TVs. :D I tried posting a want ad a few months back in the VK Classifieds, but got no bites. Would you mind sending me a private message, detailing what you have? :music: