View Full Version : Teledyne/Packard-Bell "multi state" 23" color console

radiotvnut
07-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Here's a circa '71-'72 23" Teledyne/Packard-Bell hybrid (or, multi-state, as PB calls it) color console that is part of the load of TV's that came back with me from SC. I've done very little to this set except test it and it has a hard short somewhere in the chassis, as it trips the circuit breaker instantly. I did check the CRT and it test very strong. I tried to find an EIA code on the tube; but, couldn't make it out. Somehow, the labeling looks like an RCA tube. The cabinet is cheap particleboard and it's very plain in design. Also, this set does not have auto degaussing; rather, degaussing is done by pressing the "ICP" button on the front of the set.

Whatever is shorted in this set must be a common problem because we found at least two other PB consoles from the same era that tripped the circuit breaker shortly after turn-on. Like I said, I havent really worked on this one; but, I suspect a shorted cap or diode. I have not even checked to see what Sam's it's in. I wonder how the picture was on these models.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0708packardbell0002.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0708packardbell0001.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0708packardbell0003.jpg

zenithfan1
07-08-2010, 06:32 PM
That's a neat one you don't see often, or ever really. Was it in a damp location? It looks like it's moldy inside.

DaveWM
07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
long shot, try it with the convergence yoke unplugged.

electroking
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I thought it was a set designed to receive TV stations from several States of the U.S.!

ctc17
07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
wow that one looks pretty used. more modern than the one im working on. I bet it has a decent picture. the pb icp setup is really cool. when you push the button it draws current through the degaussing coil through a rectifier to charge up a big electrolytic. the taper off of the current through the coil is very nice as the cap fills up, it gets the purity solid. there is a high value resistor paralleled with the cap to drain the voltage off.

where is the eia code and what would it look like? I curious who make these pb tubes.

sampson159
07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
i had a similar set 20-25 years ago.pretty nice picture.the crt was a rauland.it set up very nicely and the crt was fairly good.had some wear but really presented a nice sharp picture.the face was a dark blue.i sold it to a neighbor basically on picture quality.they never heard of teledyne packard bell.didnt see many but ones i did see were good looking sets

radiotvnut
07-09-2010, 01:00 AM
That's a neat one you don't see often, or ever really. Was it in a damp location? It looks like it's moldy inside.

Yes, it does look moldy inside. There was a portion of the building that had some serious water damage. This set wasn't in that area when I got it; but, who knows where all it had been prior to us getting there. And, my basement has a half concrete, half dirt floor and water comes in every time it rains; so, the mold could be from my basement, although the TV has only been down there for 3 months and we haven't had a whole lot of rain.

What would probably be the best product to remove the mold from inside the cabinet? I certainly don't want to bring this in the house with mold growing inside of the TV.

This is the only TV from SC that's in the basement and I hope to get it into the shop area soon. If it wasn't for the water and floor situation, I could have one heck of a storage space.

AUdubon5425
07-10-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't know if that could have happened in three months. Nothing I took out of that "stereo showroom" had mold like that (one portable record player had a little mold inside the cabinet, that was the only one.)

Everyone here was using bleach to kill mold after Katrina. Maybe fill a bucket with a mix of bleach and water and use an old rag to pat it off (being composite you have to take it easy.)

sampson159
07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
mold takes as little as 48 hours to develop.it needs 3 elements to form:20%moisture,(on the surface),organic matter and still,stagnant air.water is 100%moisture and atmospheric conditions with more than 40% humidity equal 20 % moisture.wash it down with a cleaner and let it dry out.once mold goes dormant,it can be re-activated by those same conditions.keep it in a dry place with good air circulation.ventilation is key to containing mold,this was your lesson today boys and girls.thank you,professor ron(the mold king!)

zenith2134
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
that was interesting, Ron. thanks.

The ICP thing is pretty neat...what's it stand for? maybe "instant-color-protector" or something? Great looking set.

Chad Hauris
07-10-2010, 05:51 PM
ICP=instant color purity. We have a magnet which is inside a soft plastic cover which states: Packard-Bell ICP instant color purity...Try It!

I wonder if this was used as a demonstration to purposely magnetize the CRT and then use the ICP degaussing system to show how well it degaussed it?

ctc17
07-11-2010, 04:40 PM
the EIA code on mine is 274, who is this?

I got one in the house now in operation. Works fairly good. Needs a full setup and the sound has no bass. Sounds like a telephone. Must have a diminished cap in the audio amp circuit.

NM, 274 is RCA. I wonder what quality of rca crt they used

Eric H
07-11-2010, 05:05 PM
For the Mold I'd probably go to the store and get some type of Mildew Remover with Bleach. Lysol makes one that works pretty well, spray it on, wait a little while and wipe it off. A Scotchbrite pad might help.

I'd also use a Respirator of some type, you can probably get a cheap one from Home Depot or similar.

sampson159
07-11-2010, 08:37 PM
mold effects different people different ways.dont touch it with your bare skin,a respirator is good if you are in a confined area.bleach is not good.disinfectants are the way to go.if you leave it sit in a well vented area,the mold will go dormant.at this stage,it is harmless.never apply a liquid to mold.moisture is what caused the problem.forget about the govt. website also.their mold info is about 30 years ago.our outside is filled with molds and contaminants,but because of air in motion they are virtually harmless to us.as a sales rep,i had to study molds and its effects.mold certified.scary stuff!

p s -no more posts from me about mold.getting a little boring and i am sorry!

ctc17
07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Well mine lasted about 3 hours before it died. Good picture they suddenly to blank raster with sound. Grrrr. and I just got the convergence and setup dialed in. JUNK!

O and this set is brand new, it still has the price tag hanging on it. $388

freakaftr8
07-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Sounds like something in the video output stage. So you have a grey raster with sound? Video detector stage?

andy
07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
---

ctc17
07-12-2010, 11:48 AM
After working my way back the tuner with the bk 1077 I pulled the mixer/osc tube out and pushed it back in and the set started working. Whatever/

DaveWM
07-12-2010, 01:35 PM
tube socket eh, oh well at least you got it going again.