View Full Version : Is this Advent Videobeam worth this much?

zenithfan1
04-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I didn't think they were but the experts may know better. It's a cool looking set nonetheless.:yes:
http://racine.craigslist.org/ele/1711111245.html

zenithfan1
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I'll assume, judging by the crickets chirping in here that it's overpriced. :)
Just figured I'd ask since this is the first one to show up in a reasonable distance from me.

Sandy G
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Seems a little, ahh, "Steep"....

kx250rider
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
No.

Charles

zenithfan1
04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys, I was thinking he was nuts too but I'm not real familiar with these. I bet the price comes down when reality sets in.

ctc17
04-30-2010, 02:17 PM
There is someone on ARF taking about picking up a Novabeam, is this the same unit?

We had one of these at the club I work at bolted above the dance floor facing a screen. it died and when I went to replace it, it fell 25 feet and put a hole in the dance floor. I didnt realize how heavy it was and it was going to pul;l the latter over and take me out.

It worked well for many many years. Was never that bright. The DLP that replaced it 8 years ago was much brighter.
The DLP need a new $300 bulb now.

The old stuff just lasted so much longer trouble free.

Eric H
04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I saw one of this at a thrift a few years ago, similar price I think, maybe a bit cheaper.

I don't know why there's so little collector interest other than they are big and heavy.

They seem like an interesting piece of gear.

Jeffhs
05-01-2010, 01:40 PM
There is someone on ARF taking about picking up a Novabeam, is this the same unit?

We had one of these at the club I work at bolted above the dance floor facing a screen. it died and when I went to replace it, it fell 25 feet and put a hole in the dance floor. I didnt realize how heavy it was and it was going to pul;l the latter over and take me out.

It worked well for many many years. Was never that bright. The DLP that replaced it 8 years ago was much brighter.
The DLP need a new $300 bulb now.

The old stuff just lasted so much longer trouble free.

I'd try to find a DLP that uses LED backlighting the next time this projector goes bad and must be replaced. Many if not most new LCD HDTVs have this type of backlighting, and the very newest sets using LEDs don't need a backlight at all. Put in a projector like that and you will never again have to worry about replacing backlight bulbs which, as you found out, are not cheap--not by a long shot. I've read posts here, IIRC, in which $400+ backlight bulbs (yes, just the bulb) were mentioned in connection with LCD flat panels.

BTW: In answer to your question in regard to whether or not Novabeam and Videobeam are the same projection TV, I'll take a very wild guess and say they are not. Novabeam is actually short for Kloss Novabeam, which to the best of my knowledge has no connection whatsoever to Videobeam; they are two separate and distinct entities, unless Kloss acquired Videobeam in a buyout deal some time ago.

BTW (2): In reference to your remarks regarding the projector you replaced in your club falling to the floor and actually making a hole in the latter, all I can say is that I never realized (until now) how heavy those projectors were. With three color CRTs, the associated circuitry, and a power transformer, not to mention a heavy cabinet, however, it makes sense that these units were heavy as lead. Did the projector survive the fall, or did one or more of the CRTs implode? As a matter of fact, did the set work at all after it fell? If it actually crashed through the dance floor, I would think not.

jr_tech
05-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Nice article on the Kloss Novabeam here:

http://www.walvisions.com/ArchivePages/walvisions__kloss_novabeam_100_VMreview.htm

looks like Henry Kloss used similar Schmidt mirror tubes in this projector, as he did in the earlier Advent Videobeam models.

Henry Kloss:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kloss

jr

Eric H
05-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Am I correct in assuming the "Advent" is the same company that made the speakers?

jr_tech
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Am I correct in assuming the "Advent" is the same company that made the speakers?

I believe so...Kloss really "got around"... Quote from the Kloss link that I posted above:

"Kloss founded Advent Corporation in 1967. The name came from the legal description the advent corporation ("advent" means approaching in Latin) used in the incorporation documents before the actual name is selected. The original goal had been to develop a projection television, but by 1968 he had quit KLH to build a remarkable dual driver speaker system with 10 inch (25 cm) woofer called simply The Advent Loudspeaker (later colloquially called the Large Advent after introduction of The Smaller Advent Loudspeaker). It rivaled the sound of the then top-line AR Model 3a (which used three drivers and a 12 inch (30 cm) woofer), but only cost about half as much."

jr

Myself, I always thought the KLH line was pretty good :yes: