View Full Version : Holy Smokes!!! I actually aquired a KV-3000R!

freakaftr8
04-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I doesn't work.. My brother picked it up for me and it's sitting in Riverside for me to come get it this weekend! He checked it out and it's completely dead, along with the power doors. So I told him to just leave it alone till I get there.

Apparantly it took him and two other guys to muscle it into his pickup truck..
This one is in great condition too! He found it on CL and picked it up for $300.

Im so stoked! This is one heck of a coming home present!

Sandy G
04-21-2010, 03:39 PM
You Lucky Dawg !! That puppy has been one of my Objets De' Lust for 30 years now...

jr_tech
04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Bravo!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Some people here might consider me crazy, but if I were offered one of these or a 30" DuMont for the same price, it would be tough decision.:scratch2:

jr

freakaftr8
04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
True, I have never seen a 30" Dumont before! I just hope the 820DB22 CRT is ok, these are rare CRT's now..

freakaftr8
04-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Just curious, The doors are integrated within the power supply? So if there is no B+ present, the doors will not move right? This is going to be a dawg to troubleshoot im assuming...

rpm1200
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Congratulations! I hope you get it working soon and have fun troubleshooting.

joemama99
04-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Hey you never know-it could be as simple as a bad power cord or blown fuse!

kx250rider
04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Congrats, Shawn!!! That's a magnificent set, and I have the service manual on it and will be happy to send copies. Please be careful when moving that set, as it's SUPER easy to rip the tamo ash wood veneer off the base. Also, be sure the chassis bolt are all there. It weights 510.7 pounds. I might be able to point you to a working CVM-3000 parts chassis, if you need later. No promises, as I have no idea if the guy still has it.

Charles

freakaftr8
04-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Kewl! Thanks Charles :thmbsp: . A blown fuse sounds too easy, I like the challenge. But yes, it would be nice if it was just a fuse, lol.

Remember the trailer I had last year when I picked up a few sets from you? Im thinking of using it to pick up this guy. Call me crazy, but I think the use of foam and saran wrap around the cabinet will protect it from rub marks from straps.

kx250rider
04-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Kewl! Thanks Charles :thmbsp: . A blown fuse sounds too easy, I like the challenge. But yes, it would be nice if it was just a fuse, lol.

Remember the trailer I had last year when I picked up a few sets from you? Im thinking of using it to pick up this guy. Call me crazy, but I think the use of foam and saran wrap around the cabinet will protect it from rub marks from straps.

That should protect it, but the biggest problem I had moving mine, was that if you tilt the set slightly, the wood pedestal scrapes on the ground. That causes the veneer to rip off. I'd recommend pulling the chassis out, and moving it apart. The tube is chassis-mounted, and is easy to pull (if you're a competitive weightlifter, or have help :banana: ).

It's been years, but I think I had to cut & resolder the wires for the anti-finger pinch sensors on the door edges. Everything else was unplug-able. Evidently the touch sensors have to be hardwired.

Charles

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/kx250racer/KV3000chassisRemvl.jpg

freakaftr8
05-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Hey all! Im down visiting my brother and I just managed to shove the set in the back of my Tahoe between my brother and I. What a beast! Looks clean, the bottom of the set unfortunantly has some damage. Veneer is cracked a bit. I have a remote for it and when I got it the back was already off the set. Not sure if someone has been poking around but it looks untouched.

kx250rider
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I have a remote for it

I was going to ask that... There were two remotes that came with it new; RM706 and RM706W. They were the same remote as the more common ones, but added the "door" button. VERY VERY VERY rare. The RM706W was basically a show piece, and was an RM706 encased in a Tamo ash wood housing. Too nice to use. I've only ever seen one W, and they were unavailable from Sony even in the early 80s.

Is there a name plackard on the cabinet next to the power button? Sony mailed a 24k gold plackard to the buyer of those, with their name engraved on it.

Charles

freakaftr8
05-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Well believe it or not it does have the RM706W with the door function! The plackard however is missing.

kx250rider
05-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Well believe it or not it does have the RM706W with the door function!

WOW!!!!!! I have to see that set some time... Since you have the set, if you like, I can make a hard copy of the service manual for you. I never have good luck scanning and eMailing files. That chassis is 100% unique, and shares nothing with any other Sony. It's only used in the KV-3000 and the CVM-3000/CVX-3000.

Charles

freakaftr8
05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Shoot Charles, that would be awesome! Let me know if you want anything for copying the service manual for me!

I have a feeling im goona need it..
Ill snap off pics of the beast ad it's remote once I get it unloaded and in the house.
When I get it up to snuff I'll take a video of it working and put it up on the net. And hopefully of the doors opening via remote too.

WOW!!!!!! I have to see that set some time... Since you have the set, if you like, I can make a hard copy of the service manual for you. I never have good luck scanning and eMailing files. That chassis is 100% unique, and shares nothing with any other Sony. It's only used in the KV-3000 and the CVM-3000/CVX-3000.

Charles

freakaftr8
05-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Well, it looks like the "E" board on this set is cracked pretty good and someone did a repair job on it before to bridge the cracks. All fuses and cord test ok. Completely dead, no click of the relay, nada.

freakaftr8
05-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to probe around the logic control to see if it's getting it's 12v feed. What sucks is the crack in the "E" board goes right accross the horiz drive transformer so I'm thinking that there might be dirty connections that could have taken out the HOT. But the thing that gets me is all the fuses check ok.

kx250rider
05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to probe around the logic control to see if it's getting it's 12v feed. What sucks is the crack in the "E" board goes right across the horiz drive transformer so I'm thinking that there might be dirty connections that could have taken out the HOT. But the thing that gets me is all the fuses check ok.

That's a very rubust chassis design, so I hope you might be OK. Very well-fused. PM me with current address, or maybe we can meet up if you're in the area, and the copy is yours...

Just a long shot, but one of my KV-3000s had a weird problem when I got it. Totally dead, and it was a wire yanked out of the power transformer. The wire was too short, and when the chassis panels were hinged closed, it pulled the wire. I lengthened the wire, and fixed the problem. It's been 20+ years, so I don't remember the details other than that.

Charles

Sandy G
05-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Interesting, Charles. I doubt if the 3Ks were a large production, "Volume" type set, & as such if their peculiar "bugs" were all that well known by the factory...My R-389 was a low production radio-Maybe 750 made 1954-55- and it kinda shows subtle signs that it was, at best, MAYBE an "advanced prototype" set.

freakaftr8
05-05-2010, 01:46 AM
My understanding is that there were only 1000 of them built? Am I correct?

freakaftr8
05-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Well I got power now! Im so lame, I didn't know that there was a master power switch hidden way below the cabinet (I should of known this before, most 80's Sonys had em). Anyway I pulled the K board due to it's 7 layers of filth and cleaned it and saw "K 13" for power switch, I immediatly started looking around the front of the console for the master and found it. Well put it back together and powered her up. Got sound, and doors tork. No video, I realized I dont hear the HV coming up. I have heater voltage. I found the HOT is ice cold after a minute of power up. CONV transistor gets luke warm. I checked solder connections at the HO transformer. At least the doors work :)

Telecolor 3007
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM
:worthless:

freakaftr8
05-06-2010, 01:21 AM
You are right.... Sorry, daughter hid the camera.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01680.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01679.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01682.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01681.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01683.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01686.jpg

kx250rider
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Well I got power now! Im so lame, I didn't know that there was a master power switch hidden way below the cabinet (I should of known this before, most 80's Sonys had em). Anyway I pulled the K board due to it's 7 layers of filth and cleaned it and saw "K 13" for power switch, I immediatly started looking around the front of the console for the master and found it. Well put it back together and powered her up. Got sound, and doors tork. No video, I realized I dont hear the HV coming up. I have heater voltage. I found the HOT is ice cold after a minute of power up. CONV transistor gets luke warm. I checked solder connections at the HO transformer. At least the doors work :)

Don't be embarrassed... I forgot about that switch too, until you said it, and I'm a former Sony factory-authorized tech who owned 2 of those sets. I'm copying that manual for you today, and will have it out after lunch... I've never seen a bad flyback on one of those, nor on the CVM version, so hopefully it's either a cold solder joint or caps, transistors, etc. causing no HV.

Charles

freakaftr8
05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks a bunch Charles!

jr_tech
05-06-2010, 08:08 PM
:banana::banana::banana: :banana:
WOW! That is one great looking set! I am green with envy! :yes:
And drooling as well. :drool:

jr

freakaftr8
05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks!

Well I started to diagnose further today, and I noticed two things. After poking around the "E" board, I found a cold solder connection between one of the cracks some dude tried to repair. This goes to the center pin of the LOT transformer. And then on the "P" board, one of the connector pins were totally disconnected from the board. This connectoer wiring carries around to the "E" board LOT CONV side. I believe this means Convergence?
Anyway resoldered bad connections and still no HV. Im still assuming the HOT transistor is shot from all the crappy solder issues.

Is there any way to do a goot test with the transistor still soldered to the board, cause I get different readings between the CONV and the HOT transistors. They use the same Hitachi 2SD725 Silicon NPN style.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01688.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01691.jpg

andy
05-06-2010, 09:22 PM
---

freakaftr8
05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Cool thanks for the tip Andy.. Actually between thr C and E it's completely open, however I have a 3 ohm reading through the B to E.

On the CONV transistor, C and E seem shorted. But my meter reads 3 ohms but beeps like a short.

freakaftr8
05-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Here's a cool vid I made of the doors opening and closing via remote..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m4_teY-fNA

Telecolor 3007
05-07-2010, 03:26 AM
Holly Molly, the doores are opening by the push of an buton? :sigh:
The tv is ... more then awsome!

rpm1200
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
That is so cool! I hope you get the horizontal output issues solved soon. I do have a request, if there are controls behind the door on the TV can you please take a picture of them? (I mean the door with the Trinitron logo on it.) I see that you can adjust brightness/color/hue/pix with the remote but I'm assuming there are other controls like sharpness, add/delete, cable/norm, tv/video and possibly audio controls that are only on the set. Thanks!

andy
05-07-2010, 09:19 AM
---

radiotvnut
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Out of all the TV's that I've worked on, I too have only seen one bad HOT that wasn't shorted. It was in a late '90's 32" Sony that had no HV. This was a set that I'd already replaced the HOT and power supply parts in, several years earlier. When it lost it's picture, the owner simply gave it to me. Anyway, I checked everything and couldn't find out why I had no HV. Finally, I fired up the scope to discover that I had a proper horizontal drive waveform at the base of the HOT. I replaced the HOT and all was well. The old one simply would not work, despite the fact that it checked good.

freakaftr8
05-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Good call, I got the scope out last night and was going to check for a waveform, but I just got too dang tired. So tonight i'll give it a go and see what I get.

Ill snap off a pic of the controls behind the panel tonight and post.

rpm1200
05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Ill snap off a pic of the controls behind the panel tonight and post.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

holmesuser01
05-07-2010, 01:39 PM
That set is a real beauty. After I saw your pictures, I remember going with another tech to a customers home one evening to work on their TV like this. I was in awe of those doors opening!

I hope you get that bad boy running!

I have an old KV-27EXR25 with a new-ish kine. It was dropped before I got it, and got a 7 inch crack across the main board between the FBT and the power supply connections to the G board. I flexed the board slightly and it snapped the crack closed. I spot glued the crack away from traces, then bridged every broken trace. Took many hours to fix, but it works, and has been trouble free, except for an IC on the G board that died due to heat, and having to replace the kine last year.

Again, I cant wait to see a picture on that machine. Due to the weight, it may be with you for the rest of your life!

freakaftr8
05-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, wish the guy that cracked the board before would have straightened it out before resoldering the cracks. But oh well.

Here is the pic of the controls behind the door

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01697.jpg

freakaftr8
05-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Well what I thought was an issue turned out to be one. I have a funky sine wave coming from the base of the CONV transistor Q514 so I tested it and it has ashort from B to E and C to E. I noticed it gets warm quickly too. So I pulled it and pulled the HOT too. HOT is fine and compared readings to the CONV and yep the CONV is shorted indeed. Everything else so far checks out. I think that bad solder joint on the connector I talked about earlier killed the transistor. The connector goes into the conv circuit.

In turn I have no power in the HOT circuit. No waveform whatsoever coming from B of HOT. Once I restore the CONV circuit I think I should restore power to the HOT side. Keepi g my fingers crossed.

rpm1200
05-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Yeah, wish the guy that cracked the board before would have straightened it out before resoldering the cracks. But oh well.

Here is the pic of the controls behind the door

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01697.jpg

That control panel is epic. :tresbon: I love the individual external vs. internal A/V switches. That way you could hook up an FM tuner to the stereo audio input for simulcast reception. The Sound Carrier switch is interesting too. I'm assuming there were different sound demodulation options available for better sound vs. better selectivity? It's also interesting that they included a vertical hold control. I suppose that was to improve compatibility with VCRs, home computers, video games, etc.

freakaftr8
05-08-2010, 12:35 PM
I noticed that the vert hold was analog controlled throuout the mid 80's. Iv'e seen even a very few early 90's sets with vert hold. Sometime in the early 90's Tv's went full hold control automatically. With Sony's I think 1984 or so was it for vertical hold.

holmesuser01
05-08-2010, 09:31 PM
My 1991 KV-27EXR25 has no vertical hold. I have never seen it lose vertical sync in all these years. My big RCA roundie will roll once on any source change, and likes to roll now and then when playing VHS.

kx250rider
05-09-2010, 01:38 PM
You should have the schematic tomorrow, unless it came Saturday... I got it out to you on Friday afternoon; sorry for the extra day. Let me know if you need any additional pages... I sent all of the block diagram and all of the schematic, but left out the owners manual and parts list pages this time due to a paper shortage in the house :yuck: . (the manual total is 108 pages). I wish I'd been able to get it out Thursday, as I bet it would be saving you time right now.

Charles

kx250rider
05-09-2010, 01:42 PM
My 1991 KV-27EXR25 has no vertical hold. I have never seen it lose vertical sync in all these years. My big RCA roundie will roll once on any source change, and likes to roll now and then when playing VHS.

Yours is in the service menu (tagged VFRE)... Very stable as a rule, but I've had to adjust vertical and horizontal hold (HFRE) on those sets a few times.

Chalres

freakaftr8
05-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Yup, I learned early in life the "display, 5, vol up, power" lol
Sweet Charles, Ill be looking for it and thanks so much for printing that out for me!

rpm1200
05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
That era Sony (EXR series) had a little "magic button" on the jack panel to enter service mode, rather than the display, 5, vol+, power sequence. They also use the funky remote with AUDIO, VIDEO and GUIDE buttons instead of a single MENU button. I have the 20"...
Any news on the CONV transistor?

freakaftr8
05-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Charles sent me a Service manual, as soon as I get it, I will figure out what role the CONV has on HV. Im still under assumption that CONV means Converter on the flyback. And power has to go through the CONV side and PIN before it can get to the HOT.

Anyone chime in that may know?

freakaftr8
05-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Actually I'm answering my own dumb question. CONV is the power converter for the appropriate dc side. It's been a while since I stuck my mug inside a Sony. I just was browsing the service manual for my KV-36XBR450 and realized how the conv and hot and pin circuits work in conjunction with eachother. W/o that circuit everything in hv is dead. I found some questionable solder joints on the LOPTX. That alone would take out the CONV transistor. Crappy thing is that the nasty crack in the board goes right thru the LOPTX. So in turn those solder joints flexed and lost a good connection probably when the set warmed up. The E board in this set has obviously had a hard life. Transistors on order.

kx250rider
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Crappy thing is that the nasty crack in the board goes right thru the LOPTX. So in turn those solder joints flexed and lost a good connection probably when the set warmed up. The E board in this set has obviously had a hard life. Transistors on order.

I'm going to try to find out what my friend did with a CVM-3000 he had, with a lousy CRT in it. If it's still around, maybe I could get it for you for that board. No promises; it's been years.

Charles

freakaftr8
05-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Sweet! Thanks for checking into that. It would be awesome to have spare parts for this puppy. I think I got the board straightened out. We will see

freakaftr8
05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Well I got the parts in today, and.. Picture!! Bright raster too, the 820DB22 is really strong in this one!

One issue is some video smearing, got a dark line going down the left of the screen. Looks like a faulty cap in the video output ir IF section..
One other thing I noticed is that even on minimum brightness the picture is still bright like halfway up it seems. G2 is down all the way too.
Here's some pics..

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01711.jpg

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01710.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01715.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01716.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01717.jpg

rpm1200
05-13-2010, 08:23 AM
All right! Congratulations on the fix and the strong CRT!

I had imagined the channel number was via OSD on this one... It doesn't have OSD in addition to the built-in readout, does it? (I guess that would be like wearing a belt and suspenders...) I can't tell if that's LEDs or a vacuum fluorescent display, what is it? (I've seen both on Sonys with green channel number readouts, usually VFDs on the older models and LEDs on the newer ones.)

I suppose you could confirm or rule out the smearing is coming from the IF section by hooking up a DVD player or VCR to the video input. Probably just a bad electrolytic somewhere, the hard part is tracking it down...

freakaftr8
05-13-2010, 09:20 AM
rpm1200: The TV actually has both on screen display and a VFD. The onscreen is nothing like you would see from sony, it's not green it's white, ill take a snapshot of the volume control and OSD and post..

On the video smearing issue, I found it both in Video mode and OTA. Here's a better pic of whats going on. I ruled out caps in the Video out X board last night.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01722.jpg

kx250rider
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Bad cap! It's in the supply for the luminance channel which is a flyback-derived supply. A 10uF @ 350v near the FBT comes to mind, or there may be one on the socket board (although I see you checked those). That's great news that the tube seems good!!!!!!!! I've seen too many of those 820DB22s in poor shape. The OSD in that set is the first one which showed not only the channel number, but also the bar graphs for volume, color, tint, etc. Also, the channel display regressively disappears from the bottom up, segment by segment. Kind of cool! Did the schematic come?

Charles

freakaftr8
05-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah Charles it did and thanks again! The scroll up channel OSD function stayed the same throught the 80's bu went to green instead of white. The newer models had a display function that would allow the channel to stay on the screen in smaller font. I dig the rainbow bar graph for color. Way cool!

rpm1200
05-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I know what you're talking about with the scrolling up, my Vidimagic has that feature too. Did they put a black border around the white OSD elements? I know the green OSD on newer Sonys does not use a border.

It seems like the first TVs with OSD (e.g. Heathkit, Star system) used white characters and then it became fashionable to use a color like green or yellow... what did the RCA 2000 use?

freakaftr8
05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Right you were Charles! I twas a 350V 4.7mfd on the neck board. When I initally tested it, it showed good on an ESR meter. But I pulled it off the board just to check it anyway, and yep it was leaky. Looks excellent, needs a little convergence on the right and left, but perfect!

rpm1200: Here is the OSD for both channel and picture features, the rainbow is color, hue moves the rainbow from right to left, picture level and brightness show on the same thinner line below. Volume is a green bar.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01727.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01726.jpg
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/infinitereality919u6/DSC01728.jpg

zenithfan1
05-13-2010, 09:15 PM
WOW! That is the BEST Sony tv I've ever seen. Congratulations on a great set and for getting it running!

freakaftr8
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks Mark! It's a PITA to move though, 510lbs kinda makes you wanna keep in a perminent place. Glad it's got wheels!

Sandy G
05-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Givya a hunnert dollahs fer it. YOU gotta ship though, of course...(grin)

freakaftr8
05-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Hehe, thing im goona keep this one around for a while, but if I ever do decide to part with it, you guys will be the first to know!

I got done with the alignment tonight. This set is fairly easy to converge, believe it or not it has a board with 6 pots dedicated to convergence. It's so engineered (overengineered) that it had an access panel in front of the set just under the controls in the door that you remove 4 screws and there are the RGB drive adjustments. Along with these adjustments are switches to turn on and off each drive to the guns. I realigned the yoke positioning, convergence and purity and greyscale. Looks 100 times better then before.
The 30" CRT in 1981/82 must have been the beginning of the giant CRT's. Did Sony produce the forst CRT to be over 25". I think they were producing 27" CRT's before this 30" weren't they?

Anyway thanks for the comments and the help! It always makes a tv repair much more fun when I can share it on VK.

leadlike
05-14-2010, 04:42 AM
I was hoping to see this thing working again. I love the picture, especially those onscreen control displays.

Sandy, a few years ago didn't someone on Audiokarma say they had one of these in Nashville? If I recall, they weren't too much into video gear. Maybe now that it is an outdated SD set they may want to chuck it.

kx250rider
05-14-2010, 11:16 AM
You got the smear fixed! Glad to help.... I'll still try to look into that CVM-3000, in case I can save it for parts. Now that a couple of the KV-3000s are in the hands of collectors, we need to have parts. If you want, I think I have the original sales receipt from the KV-3000 I bought "brand-new; as-is" in 1986 at Adray's. I might be able to make a color copy of it, if you're interested to have it. It's probably the only retail sales receipt for a KV-3000R to exist, and would be a cool piece of documentation for it. I don't think I have the owners manual anymore, as I probably gave it to the buyer of either that set, or the other one I had & sold.

Charles

rpm1200
05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I got done with the alignment tonight. This set is fairly easy to converge, believe it or not it has a board with 6 pots dedicated to convergence. It's so engineered (overengineered) that it had an access panel in front of the set just under the controls in the door that you remove 4 screws and there are the RGB drive adjustments. Along with these adjustments are switches to turn on and off each drive to the guns.

I have a Sony rack-mount monitor with the same feature (the pots and cutoff switches are in a little drawer) but it's pretty cool that they put the same feature into a consumer TV. Probably carried over from the CVM-3000...

The 30" CRT in 1981/82 must have been the beginning of the giant CRT's. Did Sony produce the forst CRT to be over 25". I think they were producing 27" CRT's before this 30" weren't they?

I think Sony made 26" color CRTs before anyone else had made a color tube that large, but I think they started doing 27"s later, after the 30". The earliest Sony 27"s I've seen were late 80s, and there are both 26" and 27" Sonys listed in my 1986 J&R Music World catalog. If you count monochrome CRTs, DuMont beat everyone to the punch with their 30"!

freakaftr8
05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Yep that DuMont I still gotta see a pic of that badboy sometime!

Charles: I would love a copy of the sales receipt, that would be so cool to have with the set for conversation! I still need to get the RM-706, I only got the W with this set. I found one on the bay for $100. Thinking I should snap it up. I wish it still had the tamo ash veneer sheet in a bag on the back of the set. Thats gone too.

You know whats funny, when I regestered and found AK/VK back in 07, I had a Zenith 19" Chromacolor that I saved from near ill fated doom. It had the same issue the sony did with the luminence dark on the left. That TV is how I found this site.

kx250rider
05-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Yep that DuMont I still gotta see a pic of that badboy sometime!

Charles: I would love a copy of the sales receipt, that would be so cool to have with the set for conversation!

I'll dig up that receipt, if I do indeed still have it.

On the DuMont Royal Sovereign, PM me next time you're going to be in the LA area, and maybe there will be a chance to see one working :thmbsp: .

I do have a few remotes which are identical to the 706, except no "door" button. I can't remember the number, but they came with the KV-2680R. The RM-705 (came with the Profeel monitors) is physically the same outside, but the slide-out has only ANT A-B and VIDEO SOURCE; no color or other aux buttons. The 706 is so rare that I'd go high on bidding if you do find one on eBay. I' ve never seen another one besides those which came with my KV-3000s.

Charles

freakaftr8
05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Allow me to retort. I retract my previous staement about how easy this set is to set convergence. I have never met a CRT television that was more stubborn to fine tune convergence than this beast! When I adjust Y bow it adjusts vertically, when I adjust the bottom red bow (H HILT) it moves blue. Static ring convergence (horseshoe magnet on the CRT neck) it changes all over again for red VERT STAT... Im sort of a perfectionist unfortunantly, and dont stop until I achieve success. I have been screwing with this set since Friday morning (non stop and it's driving my wife nuts cause she says it looks good). Lol, anyway, as of Sunday...... Scratch that, (Monday) morning at 12:30 am.. I am relieved to say that I am done and the back is now on the set..

Does anyone have any idea what it's like to turn a cenvergence knob w/o being able to see the CRT? I have a blister on my right foot from dragging it over the carpet redundantly.

Anyway, yeah I may be crazy but I guess the results I look for seem to be scrutinous compared to lets say my wife or anyone else that has senn it in person so far. I'm sure some of you guys are the same way as me. Please say yes. Lol

kx250rider
05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Does anyone have any idea what it's like to turn a cenvergence knob w/o being able to see the CRT? I have a blister on my right foot from dragging it over the carpet redundantly.

Anyway, yeah I may be crazy but I guess the results I look for seem to be scrutinous compared to lets say my wife or anyone else that has senn it in person so far. I'm sure some of you guys are the same way as me. Please say yes. Lol

On the convergence; I replaced the CRT in one of mine, by swapping in a better one from a CVM-3000. I left the yoke and neck apparatus in place, so no problem. I can't remember, but aren't the dynamic pots in the black metal cover below the aux controls on the front? I wish I had the alignment & setup manual on that set, but I never ordered it at the time. I do have it for other Sonys of that vintage, but it sounds like you got it set.

On the time being spent obsessed with a hobby item and your wife, I know all about that. Try explaining why you and your wife should get in a truck, and spend 10 days driving 6000 miles round trip, to get a 1200-lb air raid siren to install on your patio... Then spending days installing and wiring it up to the house :scratch2: .

Charles

freakaftr8
05-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Thought this was kinda cool. Here is a 1982 airing of the CES show with Kerry Decker, and 5:16 into it you see the KV-3000R with the doors opening and turned on. Theres no sound though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8qmilo8ic

freakaftr8
05-20-2010, 02:49 PM
On the time being spent obsessed with a hobby item and your wife, I know all about that. Try explaining why you and your wife should get in a truck, and spend 10 days driving 6000 miles round trip, to get a 1200-lb air raid siren to install on your patio... Then spending days installing and wiring it up to the house :scratch2: .

Charles

Lol, yes I totally know what you are talking about. I get the "do you really need that" when I even go to Reno to pick up something, like an extra snowboard when I have a perfectly good Burton at the house.. Recently my wife has been bugging me to take down the aerial antenna on the roof. I like it where it's at including the rotator motor control in the livingroom for aesthetics reasons. lol

Verodevi
03-03-2014, 10:43 PM
I have a Sony Trinitron kv-3000r... I'm in the Saint Louis area of Missouri and I'm trying to find it a home that isn't mine... when I first moved in, I was amazed what a hunk of junk it was, then I grew to love it, it's super awesome and were I in my own home I would keep it, but I don't know how to get it out to a good home. Where did you find yours? I've been itching to toy with this one as one of the doors don't work properly, but have not had the ability to do so, so it's used to play wii, which makes me laugh every time I see my brothers at it, luckily, they can see the quality of the piece and haven't wrecked it.

KentTeffeteller
03-28-2014, 07:15 PM
The Holy Grail. $10,000 bucks. Remember when 15" was a huge Trinitron. Beautiful set, a work of industrial and design art. Awesome details abound with it. Leaves one at a loss for words.

Greg Davis
04-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Fabulous set. Good to see it coming back to life!

playdrv4me
06-25-2014, 03:52 AM
I have a Sony Trinitron kv-3000r... I'm in the Saint Louis area of Missouri and I'm trying to find it a home that isn't mine... when I first moved in, I was amazed what a hunk of junk it was, then I grew to love it, it's super awesome and were I in my own home I would keep it, but I don't know how to get it out to a good home. Where did you find yours? I've been itching to toy with this one as one of the doors don't work properly, but have not had the ability to do so, so it's used to play wii, which makes me laugh every time I see my brothers at it, luckily, they can see the quality of the piece and haven't wrecked it.

Hmm, I live in STL, that's kind of tempting if you still have it. But at 500lb even being in my own backyard I just don't know that it's something I could handle.

I'm much more into the portable Sony televisions from the 1980s on up, including the active matrix LCD models and the video walkmans.

SONY_KV3000
09-21-2018, 12:05 PM
[non-affiliated]

Found a KV-3000R on Washington craigslist. Wish I had the space!

> SONY TV IN GORGEOUS BURGUNDY CABINET WITH MATCHING STAND - $200 (Olympia)

> Gorgeous dark burgundy hardwood cabinet with electric door back in the day there were only a few made and the cost was $10,000 perfect condition very heavy.

> Delivery is negotiable. comes with matching DVD stand $200

archive pics:

https://imgur.com/a/kenr2ZT

https://i.imgur.com/34R2eEEl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LPcqy6rl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xtwePr9l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5SYQ4U7l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IaokUkkl.jpg

KV3000 KV3000R KV 3000 KV 3000-R burled rosewood mohagany black Japanese Balsa wood tamo ashwood

WISCOJIM
09-21-2018, 04:51 PM
[non-affiliated]

Found a KV-3000R on Washington craigslist. Wish I had the space!
I've got one sitting here in Wisconsin with the matching VCR cabinet that someone wants to pay me to gut and wire the doors to a switch so he can repurpose it. I don't want to do that, but I do want it out of my way.