View Full Version : Philco 25C520

Dan Starnes
04-06-2010, 04:53 PM
The wifes big screen is in the shop for a major warranty repair. So I drug a 1985 Philco console that I recently got for free into the living room. Real nice set in very nice cosmetic condition and played very well until monday morning. While watching the news before work, I heard a buzz and instantly turned the set off. Then the dreaded smell of fried electronics. So I believe the flyback smoked. I did take the back off and can see where it did get a bit hot, but nothing scorched. Didnt really get into any other components that might cause the flyback to fry. But first things first, any sources on a flyback for that model? The tags are intact with part numbers and such, but my eyes arent so good anymore. Going to have to wait till a younger set of eyes to read that to me. I have never even messed with anything but a tube set so this is all new to me, and I am not that good on those yet. But I did see some familiar doodads in there :D. Can a shorted CRT smoke a flyback?

Findm-Keepm
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Is it a Philips made set?

Not sure if that model is similar to my Sylvania set of the same vintage, but my Sylvania frequently ate a 1 ohm resistor close to the flyback. Resistor just went, no other problems. The resistor is a metal oxide type, about 1 watt, and sometimes would appear visually to be good, but would indeed be open.

Just a suggestion to check,

Findm-Keepm
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Just checked with my now-retired-TV-repairman dad. He suggested that if it has a white flyback, it's the flyback that's shot. NAP sets were apparently famous for bad "white" flybacks back then.

Cheers,

radiotvnut
04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
And, I don't think they are available. I remember trying to get a flyback for a NAP C5 chassis, about 10-12 years ago, and it was NLA. Maybe you can find a NOS flyback somewhere.

Findm-Keepm
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Here's some tips for the C5 chassis:

Dan Starnes
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, I saw something on it that made me believe it was a Phillips made set. And the flyback is white. I will however check for a resistor near it. Funny thing is this set was just taken out of service by the original owners and given to me. They put a new addition onto the house and bought a new set. I was kinda taking a liking to the ole set, even if it isnt tube. Thanks for the info!

Geoff Bourquin
04-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Didn't those have the yellow-block polyester capacitors by the flyback that would go up in a cloud of horrible smoke? Maybe that was the C-6. I don't remember for sure. Its been a long time.

radiotvnut
04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Come to think of it, I think those sets do have the yellow cap. I remember seeing that same yellow cap blow up in a 19" C3 chassis. The old man who owned it was too cheap to spend the $35 that I charged him for fixing the set including pick-up and delivery. I ended up putting the burnt cap back in there and giving the TV back upon his insistence. The thing had one heck of a nice picture for the brief period I had it playing. Those are the kind of people that irritate me. Too cheap to spend $35 and won't even give me the set.

Dan Starnes
04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, it has the yellow block cap by the flyback.