View Full Version : Advice sought for combining VHF/UHF reception on DTV

zenith2134
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi guys. I am currently using a modified ntsc tv to receive DTV stations outdoors (portable for summer)...I basically integrated one of my converter boxes into the set.

The converter has one RF input (coaxial) and I've been using a simple UHF loop antenna connected to a 300-75 ohm balun. However, a search at antennaweb reveals that some of my local stations are on VHF, and sure enough, those are the ones which do not come in with the loop antenna.

Not wanting to purchase some crappy new antenna for my DIY-contraption, is there any way I can combine the output of a dipole VHF and a loop-UHF antenna so the converter sees both bands? :scratch2:

Thanks in advance.

Findm-Keepm
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Years ago, in fringe areas, we'd use separate UHF and VHF antennas and the combine them with a signal splitter/combiner - 300/300 ohm input, and 75 ohm output. Here's a modern non-outdoor version of the same:

Of course, at the set, it was split again using a Channel Master 7283 75 ohm (F-female) to VHF/UHF 300 ohm separate outputs.

The Steren 200-645 is available all over the place - even see them at Hamfests. It's what is pictured below, and has an internal balun.

Cheers,

wa2ise
04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Radio Shack sells a somewhat expensive VHF-UHF combiner-splitter that works pretty well. Used it for the same job you need it to do, and works better than a generic all band splitter.

zenith2134
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Great advice. Thanks. I'm going to head over to the Shack and see if I can't get one. I tried a generic splitter but it did not seem to be working well.

zenith2134
04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Well I got one for about 12 bucks...and it works better than my generic splitter. Channel 7 and and 13 come in nice and strong now.

Next I'm going to post a pic of the franken-set DTV receiver. You will all get a kick out of it I'm sure.