View Full Version : No more missing rca model tags! A solution!

drh4683
12-14-2009, 06:14 PM
As some of you know, missing model tags on any TV is a major pet peeve of mine, perhaps yours as well. Particularly on RCA's because it It seems that most RCA TV's of the 60's-70's have missing model tags, making it impossible to get information (later models starting around '73, RCA also put an identical model tag on the chassis making the missing back cover tag not as serious). Reproducing model tags for TV's certainly won't be profitable as reproduction decals etc. for classic cars, but somebody has to do it. Its all about making an incomplete TV correct and satisfying my annoyance of missing data and information. The '69 RCA CTC-38 I just picked up was the straw that broke the camels back, so its time I solve the missing model tag problem. I normally can determine the model by looking in brochures (if Im lucky enough to have one for the model year), then service manuals by matching chassis with the proper UHF and VHF tuner arrangement including the CRT size. Either way, I hate looking at the back of the TV only to see remains of a ripped off model tag. Today I decided to correct the problem and create a reproduction RCA model tag. I actually had some time to kill after work and stayed late so I could create a tag using AutoCAD, which is by far the best program ever created for designing anything you want. I use cad everyday at work, so it was no big deal to create this. I carefully took a model tag off another TV so I could take exact dimensions of the placement and height of the text. I have about 100 different font styles to choose from on cad, so I just experimented until I found the closest match to the original tag font. I attached a jpeg image of the RCA logo onto cad model space and then traced it and hatched it and made it into a block then scaled it to the size to the one on the original tag (for those who know cad, thats how I got the RCA logo so I wouldn't have to free hand draw it). It worked quite well. Its now saved as a cad file, and a replacement model tag can now be made in seconds and printed to 1:1 scale on a sheet of 8.5x11, or even poster board if you want to make it just like the real thing. The serial number font is not exact but very close for all practical purposes. Simply open up the file, and override the old text and type in the new. Its easy to get the serial numbers, which must match the back cover tag. Serial numbers on RCA are easy to spot as they are tagged on the CRT and also the chassis. If the CRT was replaced, the tag will be gone, but the serial tag on the chassis is most always present. The attached image shows the original tag from a 1970 model RCA, the reproduction of that tag which is used as the seed drawing, and then the new model tag for the '69 table set. I'll also make a tag for older "RCA VICTOR" models as well as the tag style changed to the block format in 1968/69.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-3/1337386/RCA%20TAG%202.jpg

zenithfan1
12-14-2009, 06:55 PM
That Auto CAD program kicks ass! That tag looks great! I'd like to get that for my computer but I bet it's pricey huh?

RobtWB
12-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Very nice work.

You just inspired me to get off of my a** and reproduce tags for 2 Maggies I have. Fortunately both sets have tags inside the sets that are duplicates of the one missing, and one severly faded tag.

drh4683
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
That Auto CAD program kicks ass! That tag looks great! I'd like to get that for my computer but I bet it's pricey huh?

Mark, each license cost about $5000.00 per user! (my employer pays that bill!) I'm running Acad Mechanical version 2009 and we also have MEP for building design. version 2002 was the last program which you could just load up via disk and have it on any computer. 2002 is still a great program and many of us at work have it on our notebooks for field use. Autodesk got smart and realized they could make more money if they license out their program because so many people in the engineering and design world use it. Its not backwards compatible though which is part of the catch. If I work on something in a newer version and want to work on it in an older version or send it to someone else who is running an older version of the program, I have to save it down to the previous version, I can't just open it and run with it. Certain attributes get lost though, but its not a big deal (stuff like font styles etc.) Anything created in an older version can be opened up on a newer version, however. Its a great tool to say the least. Others argue that mircostation is better but I was brought up using cad since I was in high school and thats pretty much the norm of the industry.

zenithfan1
12-14-2009, 08:27 PM
WOW! I figured around 2K but damn! Much more pricey than I would have thought.

jeyurkon
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
WOW! I figured around 2K but damn! Much more pricey than I would have thought.

If you qualify for an educational discount it's very inexpensive. I thought I qualified at first until I read the details of the license.

But, if you're a student or instructor you might check it out.

John

freakaftr8
12-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Great work Doug! I work with Mastecam at my work and it's a machining cad/cam program. Out license is $10,000. I know floating that kind of bill is hefty but yes it does have it's rewards. Im a CNC programmer and I couldn't run a hefty part without it.

That is excellent what you have done for the model tag! Now only if we can figure out the depleting dreaded tube layout diagram that glues onto the HV cage.. One set has a tag thats completely destryed and shreaded and frayed around the corners, thew other had started to rip.

Mark, each license cost about $5000.00 per user! (my employer pays that bill!) I'm running Acad Mechanical version 2009 and we also have MEP for building design. version 2002 was the last program which you could just load up via disk and have it on any computer. 2002 is still a great program and many of us at work have it on our notebooks for field use. Autodesk got smart and realized they could make more money if they license out their program because so many people in the engineering and design world use it. Its not backwards compatible though which is part of the catch. If I work on something in a newer version and want to work on it in an older version or send it to someone else who is running an older version of the program, I have to save it down to the previous version, I can't just open it and run with it. Certain attributes get lost though, but its not a big deal (stuff like font styles etc.) Anything created in an older version can be opened up on a newer version, however. Its a great tool to say the least. Others argue that mircostation is better but I was brought up using cad since I was in high school and thats pretty much the norm of the industry.

N9ZQA
12-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Doug -

Looks nice! I'll have to try it out; my CTC-59 needs a label, I wonder if they knew something when they put a duplicate label inside the set?

-Jim

kx250rider
12-15-2009, 11:40 AM
NICE! And I agree that so often, those are missing. Luckily, there's enough sales & service literature out there so as to verify what your sets are by picture matching. Also, the serial number is on the CRT, if the set has it's original.

There's a guy who makes & sells Toyota build plates and original repro window stickers for collectors who want to "create" a rare model, and have the build plate to match. He gets $300 each. Those are stamped aluminum.

Charles

drh4683
12-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I made some improvements and touched it up a bit more today. The font width and heights needed some revisions. Its about as close to the real thing as anyone could hope for.

andy
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

drh4683
12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Andy, that label looks great.

andy
12-15-2009, 07:16 PM