View Full Version : Check out the RCA 2000

zenithfan1
12-03-2009, 09:20 PM
How much does anyone wanna bet this is the one picked up in Milwaukee a few months ago. We tried to talk them out of gutting it but it obviously didn't work. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/clt/1486273030.html

bgadow
12-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I have absolutely no idea how you could take this set and make it look at all decent with new internals. No idea. Why would you want to?

It would seem that the guts would have limited value-the crt isn't much special. How many are looking for a chassis out of one of these?

Nicest way I can put it is "unfortunate".

Adam
12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Nooooooo!:thumbsdn:

freakaftr8
12-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I just dont understand how or why people do this, and they KNOW what this set was and they stripped it anyway???

kx250rider
12-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I just dont understand how or why people do this, and they KNOW what this set was and they stripped it anyway???

I don't understand it, and none of us here would.... But there are some people who just don't care about history, art, or technical significance. The movie industry is the worst. They smash up very exotic antique cars, and anything else they feel like paying for. And then there are just plain idiots. I rescued a very rare Sony KV-3000R; the burlwood 500-pound 30 inch console with motorized doors, which sold for $10,000 in 1981, from a fool in Westwood. This was in the late 80s. It was an Arab oil heir, and his Dad bought him a penthouse condo on Wilshire Blvd, two brand-new Ferrari Testarossas, and this TV along with all kinds of other stuff for his 16th birthday. He couldn't have cared less, and he had really abused and hacked up the Sony, lost the solid hand-made ashwood remote, the leather-bound owners manual, and the Betamax rack that came with the TV. It was sickening. That set now lives in New Hampshire in the home of a TV collector.

Same goes for rare cars. I never understand it when someone takes a 100% original Cadillac from the 30s, and swaps in a new Corvette engine, Escalade wheels, and all kinds of wrong crap. But they do that every day. If you want to make a custom hot rod, go build it on a junker; not a fine original restorable car!!! If you want an ugly white 1970s space-age pedestal TV cabinet, BUILD one; don't wreck a rare milestone collector TV!!!

Charles

Sandy G
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Like I've said before, some people just really don't deserve certain things...Effin' Philistines ! There's a guy here who has a 1938-40 Cadillac Series 75 or 90-The only difference was that the 75 was a flathead V-8, & the 90 was a V-16...And there was virtually no physical differnce between the three model years..In any event, it was/is a VERY rare car-MAYBE 2K examples made of all types for the 3 years..This dude dropped a 350 in it, torched the front end, & put a lowered Nova front end in...Good God...

RCAkid
12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh holy crap!!!!!

As the extremely fortunate owner of 2 G-2000's I am just completely appalled.

Words cannot EVEN come close to my disgust for these freakin idiots. To take a WORKING example and gut it......AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH :nono:

And then to ask $400 for the guts.....sheesh...what a tool. It would be nice to save the parts though....especially the tuner cards.

I just can't think of this.....going to go hug my G's now.

Adam
12-04-2009, 10:44 AM
How many of these are even still around? Supposedly they made 2k of them, but on these forums I've only seen evidence of what, 5 or so sets?

There are a number of very rare sort of late model color sets that I'm convinced will be much more valuable in the future. The 2000 is one, remote ctc-7 (I only know of one that came up on ebay a few years ago), my white chinese cabinet Zenith roundie (I've never seen another). We should start a list of some of these more rare late model sets and see actually how many there are out there.

Electrohome
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I can add these very rare sets to the list-
-12/9/52 Electrohome Chippendale 21 never sold w/hang tag
-1972 Rogers Majestic 25 inch color console
-1972 Solid State Hitachi 23 inch color console(Japan)
-1972 Fleetwood 23 inch color console
-1963 Clairitone 23 inch B&W combo w/stereo and phono w.roll-top door over
TV
-1975 JC Penny Portacolor re-brand
Whoa, I thought the people in North Bay were really bad about wrecking TVs.
Ruining that RCA G-2000 really irks me to no end. That's why I keep my TVs away from 90% of the people here in North Bay who just want their "Summer In The Park" festival and Mega Market-phoney flea market that only sells junk.
God Bless my family who really help me find my rare TVs and the people who help me w/the finding of my rare TVs as well-God Bless them too for that I very much thank the Good Lord a lot and to the incredible and awesome people here at Videokarma for their dedicated and incredible efforts on preserving our TV heritage for future generations-a big thanks:banana:

drh4683
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
This has got to be a joke? Whats with all these TV's in Naperville lately? Why are they calling it infamous? Don't they mean Famous? So they want the "innards" to go to a collector who will take care of it, but its OK to just hack up the TV that should have been left alone in the first place. This really irritates me.

zenithfan1
12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Me too Doug, it makes no sense to me at all. Especially the part about it going to a collector after it's hacked up. I wish it were a fake listing but it sounds like the set that was in Milwaukee, or someone playing a joke that knows about that set. When those people posted that set and we convinced them to keep it original, I emailed them with a friendly message saying that I would pay top dollar for the set if they ever wanted to get rid of it. They didn't message back either. I also have seen no other posts from them. Maybe they do on AK since they said they're audiophiles.

Adam
12-04-2009, 01:33 PM
We lost that thread when we changed forums, but it sure sounds like that guy that bought that estate sale 2000 in Milwaukee and posted it here. I don't think we did convince him to keep it original. I think all we convinced him of by saying how rare and valuable the tv is, is that he could sell the chassis by itself for more than it's worth.

roundscreen
12-04-2009, 05:30 PM
There is no excuse for them to destroy such a rare set. JERKS
If the dumb asses left the set whole and sat on the 2000 for a year or so it would have gone up in value.
Then they could have sold it for more than what they paid for it.
We have to be careful who we sell our sets to AND only to a collector.
My family has strict instructions as to what to do with my collection if I pass away.
It is sad, But it is something we have to do so our sets do not die a horrid death like this.
Ed

DaveWM
12-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I am confused about the last part wanting to sell to a collector in one part? so they will sell it whole? Prob reading all this to see if they can work up collectors into a lather.

Adam
12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
It looks like they're just selling everything but the cabinet and the speakers: Chassis, crt, tuner, etc.

freakaftr8
12-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Still totally worthless without the cabinet. Unless someone was fortnuate enough to have a cabinet from a previous hack-up.

zenithfan1
12-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Even then, the numbers don't match and it's not an original. That would have to be stated at time of sale and it devalues it quite a bit. Would be cool to have a cabinet right about now though....They really did ruin a museum piece.

drh4683
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I was searching craigslist last night and ran across this ad again. This time I decided to send them an email. Here is a complete, unmodified quote from both my email and the reply, you'll love this:

the ad: http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/1510640221.html

my question that was sent last night:
"I'm confused. Why are you destroying such a historically significant TV? You know what you have, yet to are gutting it out. WHY?"

the reply as of this evening:
"thanks for your email. it has taken a lot of contemplation to make this decision however the tv really has no value at this point (nor do we see any vast added value in the future). we love the cabinet it is in and would like to make certain that someone could gain from this. we have and are still considering storing the guts if no one would be interested however it really just doesn't seem feasible. unfortunately tv/video has not nor never will follow in the path of great vintage audio - although this television was ahead of its time it will never have the imaging of a newer television. again, we did not make this decision in haste as we have all tube televisions in our home now (nothing newer than 1989)... we really don't watch tv but would love to add this wonderful cabinet to our furniture collection.... thus, we are offering the inside for someone who has been long searching to get their tv running. hope this helps clear up your confusion. danette"

Im still thinking of what to say in reply as I HATE people who think TV's are useless and audio is all that matters. Its this very attitude that makes me stay away from many audiophiles.

However, since "vintage video" is useless and has no value, danette should just give me the guts and CRT for free, right? Why request "serious buyers only" if the stuff doesn't bring in the cash like vintage audio? You idiot you. People like this frustrate me. Most likely a shallow minded couple who lives in some upscale yuppie area in Naperville driving a lexus RX330 with a christmas wreath tied to the grille. "oohh, this looks so cool and retro, lets gut it and make it into a shelf because its never going to be worth anything" You know how it is, these are the people you run into at the estate sales who love the retro look be in reality, they are very modern people who are against "old technology" nor have any appriciation for it. Its all about the money. Typical phonie Chicagoland suburbanites.

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andy
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM

roundscreen
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
The lexus rx330 is butt ugly. Every time I see one on the road I want to ram it with my gmc jimmy.
Andy does have a point, Be nice to the fools. It would be cool if you at least get to save the chassis and tube.

drh4683
12-22-2009, 07:23 PM
The lexus rx330 is butt ugly. Every time I see one on the road I want to ram it with my gmc jimmy.
Andy does have a point, Be nice to the fools. It would be cool if you at least get to save the chassis and tube.

exactly. Yes, I didn't want to sound off on them as I figured it would impact my chances on getting the parts, whats left of them. I already emailed them if the remote control and CRT are also available. I'll save it all if I can. I already have 20+ Zenith and RCA scrap chassis'. why not add another...atleast it will be interesting to see what this chassis is all about.

zenithfan1
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Wow, what idiots huh? The stuff they say don't even make sense. I hope you can save the guts at least. I have a line on another 2000, I hope I can save this one. I tried to save the one these fools have but was 15 min too late as usual. You know how that goes, poke poke ;) remember?:D

drh4683
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
OK, it gets even better. I asked about the TV chassis availability and this is the reply:

hi doug. let me talk to my husband to chat with you as i know nothing about this tv... we haven't even started the project yet and probably won't get to it until after January 10th as my husband will be out of the country leaving sunday til then. danette

This tells me the TV is still complete! I just told them what that TV means and that it must be preserved as it is and that I want to buy it. Hopefully they will not be greedy and selfish by refusing to sell it so they can gut it out as they planned.
Then again, why offer the guts when you have not even gutted it out yet? Hasn't this ad been going for quite a number of weeks now? This is rather strange. Im starting to second guess the situation here now that I think about it.

bgadow
12-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a pretty good imagination-but I cannot imagine any way to make that cabinet presentable aside from leaving it as-is. What am I missing? Andy has it right, when I think of gutting something of this vintage (or newer) I instantly think "trailer park". (Hey, I've lived there!)

Could they be talked into a trade with, say, a good working Zenith like that one Carmine just fixed up? They are still fairly common, look cool, will be more reliable than the 2000. The 2k isn't a set I am out there looking for, but if one came my way I would sure grab it. A very important milestone set, I feel.

drh4683
12-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Im in the same position of saving one if it crosses my path. The TV is in Naperville which is just down the road. If I can help it, I want to prevent this one from getting destroyed.

So I got yet another reply as I requested that this TV remain original and that I'd like to buy it if possible. The reply:

"We are open to generous offers as we have our hearts set on the cabinet"

ok then. Whats a generous offer? What does it take to convince them that the TV complete is better than a hacked up empty cabinet? Something crazy like $800? Who knows what they think or what they will accept in order to let it go. OK, I have a shot at saving it at least, the questions is how much am I willing to shell out to save it. Also, if this is indeed the TV at the milwaukee estate sale, I remember the base looked warped and that it was aluminum and that there would be concerns of fractures/cracking. I don't want to make some kind of deal only to be totally let down when I see it in person. I never saw or owned one of these in person. I've heard alot about them and I always thought they were special sets based on their technological offerings vs. other set of that era.

sampson159
12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
i had the same situation with that ctc7 last spring.gonna hack it up and install a plasma.talked them out of it and now ampicokid has it in his skilled hands.give me their number.i will get the complete set.generous offer?as always,it is all about the money.

leadlike
12-23-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm happy to hear the set is still complete. I was trying to figure out how someone unfamiliar with tvs would remove the chassis without damaging something, or just not document their work, leaving the new owner with the headaches of figuring out how it all goes together.

Generous offer? I wonder what they would take? I can't imagine their disappointment in picking this thing up, being told that it is extremely rare, and then having all those dollar signs in their eyes fade when they found that there really isn't anyone around willing to pay a premium price for it.

I also wonder if they would be open to a trade. If they are just after a gutted cabinet, wouldn't any number of the more common Zenith pedestal sets fit the bill?

Adam
12-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Seems to me that they're just trying to see what they can get for the parts vs. what they can get for the whole set. If it were me, I'd offer a good price for the set, and say I wasn't even interested in the chassis by itself. If they think there is no interest in the chassis alone and they can't get anything for it, they might not be inclined to gut it so much.

The people I bought my chinese cabinet Zenith from were similar, they had all older 50s-60s furniture. They weren't into old technology, just said they liked the looks of the stuff. But they actually watched the Zenith until one of the filter caps shorted, then put it up for sale, didn't even think of gutting it. I just want to know how people into old furniture (not being old tv guys who constantly check around for old sets) come up with such rare tvs.

Carmine
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm going to have to weigh in here with a comment... Perhaps it won't be popular.

My advice to all of you who are interested is as follows: Stop obsessing over this particular set. These yuppies are playing you like a cheap fiddle, laughing at your efforts! Dignity still trumps old TV sets! I'd like to see the set saved too, but it just isn't worth begging and losing your self-respect.

Who are these small-minded fucknuts to say: tv really has no value at this point (nor do we see any vast added value in the future). Really? There are people all over the world collecting early and significant television sets from an era just a few years earlier than the RCA 2000. I'd have to laugh at the guy who turned up his nose back in 1980 at a Hemi 'cuda from behind the wheel of his vintage model T. Now that 'cuda sells in excess of $2-million.

I know the feeling of disgust in watching such bone-heads ruin someTHING nice, but I also know the joy of telling them to shove it up their ass when they get greedy. :thmbsp: There was a time when I saw so many beautiful 60s/70s Chrysler Imperials being sent to demo-derbies because they were so strong in a crash, back in the late 80s and early 90s. I figured that unless I grabbed up all the versions I wanted, they'd be all gone in a few short years.

But you know what? I started networking with people, the internet came along, then eBay and Craigslist and pretty soon I realized that I could still find the kinds of cars I wanted to buy at reasonable prices. Thus I realized that the toothless in-breds who would take advantage of somebody's horror at seeing something destroyed, no longer had the power. There is a guy in Florida with two '61 LeBaron Imperials who just lets them sit in the sun because every time somebody shows interest, he raises the price. Who will have the last laugh? Well the cars' soft trim is already shot, and the steel, glass and mechanical parts will long outlive this greedy old kook.

Think of this set as being in the hands of a collector who suffers a tragic house fire. Gone is still gone. Don't appease them with offers of a more common set. Draw a line in the f'ing sand! These a-holes are just able to tease you because they know you want the set. Don't give them the power.:nono:

In the days since discovering others who liked old TV sets, I've now owned and traded almost all of the sets I ever could have wanted, but luckily the joy of finding something new, or the satisfaction of enjoying something old, has not gone away. :D Even better, I still have a few giant whales to chase!

Here is the letter I'd send them. (Feel free to cut/paste)

Dear TV owner,

I've considered the idea of making you a "generous offer", and then realized that I didn't get the money to make such offers by suffering fools such as yourselves.

Therefore, my suggestion is that you stop wasting your time looking to recoup your estate sale investment on the internet. The set's guts are only of any value WITH the cabinet ding-dong, because those particular guts are only used IN that cabinet you hold so dear. The rarity of the set means it is even more rare that you will find somebody who needs only "parts".

Begin your hillbilly attempt at "creating" retro furniture with my blessing. You can throw the guts straight into a trashcan without guilt, because all of the parts need to repair this (and similar) sets are available individually, AND among the network of electronics enthusiasts that you image does not exist. When you are done, and realize that you don't really have the skill set required to pull this off, remember that you were forewarned. lol

Yours Truly,

John Q. Teeveecollector

Carmine
12-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Oh yeah, BTW... In taking another look at these sets, isn't this actually the perfect tv to use as a stand for a flatscreen? Then I'd just split the signal and occasionally open the doors to show all my "googie" friends the old-timey TV set I found!

Then we could all watch my unnatural and oversaturated mass of LCD pixels and make fun of the generation before us who actually knew how to DO things, rather than simply BUY some cheap chinese shit~

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YCiU623tb04/SdvgzU95SFI/AAAAAAAAAz8/cj4A-68q0Yk/s400/6+Mid+Century+Modern+TV+RCA+2000+Closed.JPG

AUdubon5425
12-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm going to have to weigh in here with a comment... Perhaps it won't be popular.

My advice to all of you who are interested is as follows: Stop obsessing over this particular set. These yuppies are playing you like a cheap fiddle, laughing at your efforts! Dignity still trumps old TV sets! I'd like to see the set saved too, but it just isn't worth begging and losing your self-respect.

I wholeheartedly agree. More than once I've told a greedy game-playing seller where to go...there are other sets, radios, cars, etc. out there.

I'd have to laugh at the guy who turned up his nose back in 1980 at a Hemi 'cuda from behind the wheel of his vintage model T. Now that 'cuda sells in excess of $2-million.

In 1982 I turned down a daily driver Plymouth Superbird for $3500. I just didn't have the money (I was only seven.) I still have the ad though.

drh4683
12-24-2009, 08:39 AM
The red flag went up when she told me it hasn't been gutted yet, even when the TV has been in their hands for months and that ad has been going for quite some time. That was the clue that the ad was being used to get a rise out of TV people, also considering the "video will never be worth as much as vintage audio" are the typical one liners thrown in to just anger the TV guy even more. I gave them the benefit of the doubt at first as I've met people who truley feel this way and have said things like this. The fact that they went through the efforts to describe what the TV is, including a scan of the ad is more proof of it being bogus. Looking back, if it was truly legit, a picture of the TV parts would have been taken all lying on the floor.

I sent an email back and spoke some truth to the scam artist.

colorfixer
12-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Three words: Flag the ad.

andy
12-24-2009, 12:54 PM

colorfixer
12-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Then emit a sinister laugh as she reposts, and bitches to "stop flagging my ads".

mooooha ha ha

freakaftr8
12-25-2009, 02:06 AM
All I have to say is wow. These people really are out to anger the restorers. Keep on flaggin!!!

Carmine
12-25-2009, 09:32 AM
I'll gladly aid in the flagging fun, but somebody needs to tell me where it is... I tried "rca 2000", "vintage tv" etc. and couldn't find it. :no:

zenithfan1
12-25-2009, 11:07 AM
It expired again, I'm sure it will pop back up.......