View Full Version : Portacolor on you know where...but seriously?

RCAkid
10-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Ok, maybe I am silly and maybe I am missing something....but seriously!?!?!

With shipping it is $145 bucks? :eek: Understandably, if someone wants something badly enough, no price is too high. But IMHO, a bit too steep.

Don't get me wrong, I love the little portacolor and would really, really, really like to get hold of one. Did I say I would like to get a hold of one?!? But even with it working, as this one seems to be and in what appears to be really good shape........ all I can say is...sheesh.

It seems that more and more lately, people are putting just crazy prices on old tv's. Granted, this is not the worst example, but really. I am not sure if it was on craig's or epay that I saw a 50's motorola selling for $800:dunno:

Here locally someone wants $400 for a 50's Zenith. It is a neat set and all, but it is not even a Porthole. Just a run of the mill combo console.

I know I have paid more than I should for a couple of tv's....the G2000 comes to mind...even if I did get the matching stereo :yes:.....but seriously.

I don't mean to offend anyone, especially if the seller is an AK-er. This is just my little opinion but just cuz it's old, doesn't mean it is worth big money. In my experience, most collectors do this for the love of the hunt and get joy out of saving a piece of the past and making it come alive again. I don't seem to recall that "rich philanthropist" was one of the characteristics of most of us who collect. Hmm, maybe I missed the memo. :scratch2:

OK rant over.

Here is the link to the auction. I in no way am affiliated with this auction...other than to fuss about it. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170395558841&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

radiotvnut
10-21-2009, 12:39 AM
I saw that same set and I agree with you about the price. While I'd love to find one of these later portacolor's, I just can't see forking over that much dough for one. I guess I'll hold out and maybe one will turn up at the SA or somewhere for $10.

Back 10-15 years ago, portacolors were a very common find here; but, it seems like they went from common to "impossible to find" overnight. I've had a few '76 models; but, that was before I cared about collecting TV's.

RCAkid
10-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I know what you mean.

I did find one of the 80's ss versions of the porta color the other day for 5 bucks....it brought back a memory...that model was the first tv I repaired for $$$. Of course it came home. :D

Still worked pretty well too.

Here locally, I have seen a few more 13 and 19 inch early 80's sets. Picked up a couple of Sony Trinitrons....real ones... and a Zenith 19" as well as an RCA 19" Mural w/o electronic tuning. I just couldn't resist. They called to me......does that mean insanity is here?!?! :yes:

Sandy G
10-21-2009, 05:56 AM
No disrespect to the guy, but yeah, that is a LOT of money for a Porta-Potty...Even a late one.

Robert Grant
10-21-2009, 08:15 AM
I noticed a long time ago that online auction purchases were very pricey, and it make sense they should be, since it allows the seller to comb the whole world for the one person willing to pay the highest price for an offered item.
This may explain why online auction (particularly one very famous site) was such a huge internet success as soon as it was launched.

The only things I found to be a bargain on online auctions were bulbs for old slide and movie projectors, and, to a lesser extent, NOS electronic tubes/valves.

andy
10-21-2009, 09:46 AM

wa2ise
10-21-2009, 12:11 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!Bc2owugBGk~$(KGrHqEH-DsEqt7gWt1CBK2Uo+F9Tg~~_3.JPG
Looks like the green gun is weak.

Eric H
10-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Nice set but for that much I'd want an early one.
Is this even a tube set?

zenithfan1
10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, all compactrons. It's the last or next to the last in '75-6.

radiotvnut
10-21-2009, 06:56 PM
If one of the early solid state "portacolor II's" showed up on ebay, it might fetch over $100 if it was in good shape. I think the first SS set was from around '73-'74 and was short lived. Then, they kept the tube portacolor around until the solid state "AA" chassis that's unofficially called the "portacolor III" came out in '78 or so. I think those little "AA" sets were around from the late '70's until GE got out of TV's.

ctc17
10-21-2009, 10:44 PM
How many tubes does this have in it? Its tempting but kinda high.

zenithfan1
10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I think around 12 tubes.