View Full Version : G.E. chassis 13AC in my thrift; Do I get it?

zenith2134
09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm leaving it up to you all. :D I fired her up and the crt is quite strong. Seemingly a kitchen TV. No remote but I have a universal IR I could work it with.

It was marked 25 bucks but I explained the current state of woodpaneled TV sets in America and she said come back when the manager is around maybe you can get it cheap.

5 to 10 bucks is the highest I'd go even though the mini manual was there and it was clean.

radiotvnut
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I'd go for it if I could get it for $10 or less. They'd be lucky to get anything out of it from a non-collector; but, we already know all of that. I guess it will all depend on what kind of manager you're dealing with. Some will be happy to work with you in order to get rid of it and others will have that "the price is $xx.xx take it or leave it" attitude.

zenith2134
09-12-2009, 07:04 PM
In the past (pre transition to digital tv) they have been very nice about pricing. They are a religious group and the money goes to a children's home. I buy a lot of 'junque' there. :D

But we shall see. I know it's a good little set because the crt came up very quick and the greyscale appeared to be perfect on UHF.

freakaftr8
09-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah, tell 'em its useless anyway, or, "look it's broken!! All it does is pick up snow"!! lol

zenith2134
09-13-2009, 02:10 AM
I did that !!!! I was like, you know I want a spare set but I'm going to need to buy a converter box, and all I see is snow so there " are no guarantees " that it'll work anyway.

(between you and me, the lady was braindead.) She thought it was a microwave oven.

zenith2134
09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
The TV is mine now. I paid 10 bucks because they couldn't let it go for 5. Whatever...

It needed the usual control cleaning and vertical centering adjustment. Have it set up now near my hi-fi on basic cable (coax from the street since my cable co still offers an analog signal on it) and it is cable ready from 2-69.

I'll put up a pic or two later after I eat and buy batteries for the remote.

zenithfan1
09-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Nice, she was worth ten bucks. Let's see it.

zenith2134
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes I think she was. After a quick convergence( made even easier by the mini-manual chart) this thing looks new. Probably another forgotten castaway of the DTV era.

Here are the pictures. Was watching the simpsons. I must say this crt makes a very nice picture. I think it's because it has a fat neck and fine pitch phosphor. The crt number is 13VBTP22 and the EIA is for General Electric, 188-23. What plant was that? Virginia I suppose because I know 188-5 is for Kentucky.

zenith2134
09-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, my Sony RM-EZ2 remote control doesn't work for this set which is a real letdown for me. The codes for RCA and GE are the same in the manual so I bet there are no codes for a "real' GE set (pre-RCA years like this one)

Wondering if there is any solution to this. FWIW, my 17AC set isn't workable by my cable company remote or this Sony either. :scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

zenithfan1
09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
That's a nice little set. Good save. That remote might be tricky, keep an eye on the bay for one of those "lots" of like ten remotes, or you might get lucky and find one in a single auction. Maybe someone here has a remote for it that you can borrow to teach a learning remote the functions. Just a thought. Still a cool little tv though.....

andy
09-15-2009, 03:54 PM

zenith2134
09-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I'll have to keep an eye open for those.

Upon running a model number search (model 13AC4542W) I found a pic of the original http://www.newtvremotes.com/Mfrs/TCE/TceTV/EP62X0209.htm

And on another site, they have one of these remotes new in the box, for only $67 !! Yeah right!