View Full Version : So, got this Emerson (National) for 5 bucks at a thrift store.

Rod Beauvex
08-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Can't seem to find a model number, chassis no is 25ec04w.

9 tubes, dozens of solid state diodes, and 1 IC. Weighs a ton. No yellowing around the edges of the tube. Cabinate is in really good shape. Tuner and audio is working, but video is completely non existant.

Since I don't know where my el cheapo camera is, here is a crude picture.

I have no real idea what I'm going to do with this.:no:

bgadow
08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
In Sams 1199-2, so about 1971. Cool! I am puzzled by the National reference...

Rod Beauvex
08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
It says Emerson Television Sales Corporation, (and under that) A Subsidiary of national Union Electric Corporation. I guess that's not the National I've seen mentioned elswhere.

I figure it had to be early seventies, given the IC. Most of the tubes are Dumont labeled Compactrons. The transitors are socketed too. 23-25" picture tube.

What is this Sams you mention?

Jeffhs
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
It says Emerson Television Sales Corporation, (and under that) A Subsidiary of national Union Electric Corporation. I guess that's not the National I've seen mentioned elswhere.

Much of the following information regarding the history of the National Union Electric Corp. is paraphrased from material found in a quick Google search while I was typing this reply. It took me quite a while to write this (I can't type worth a plugged nickel; I was shifting back and forth between this page and Google, and back again, for quite a while before I finally got everything right) but I finally got it down in black and white, so here it is.

The "National" company you're thinking of is likely National Radio Company of Malden, Massachusetts, which made amateur radio gear in the 1950s. It also made a few televisions during that time, although I've never actually seen one up close; the only "National" TVs I've ever seen were in advertisements in old electronics publications. National receivers and transmitters for amateur use, however, were also featured in ads in QST magazines of the same period.

The "National Union Electric Corporation", however, is no relation to the National Radio Corporation. National Union was more closely associated with Emerson products, particularly the latter's "Quiet Kool" air conditioners. In 1965, Emerson purchased Pilot Radio Corp. from Jerrold Electronics. I'm not sure, however, if National Union's employees held stock in or had any other real interest in Emerson Radio Corporation.

Even though Emerson is, like all other former American TV, radio, and electronics companies, an offshore concern these days, however, the company's "G clef" logo is now used on products not directly associated with Emerson. The phrase "G Clef", in fact, is now a world-wide trade mark formed in honor of Emerson's former logo.

bgadow
08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Heck, I should have picked up on that! I knew about National Union but didn't make the connection. NUE owned Emerson/DuMont through the sixties and into the seventies. They built a conglomerate...among other things they owned Eureka vacuum cleaners. No relation to the National Company.

Trivia: In 1970 they closed down their TV plant as they could no longer compete with Japanese imports. They sued "Japan, Inc." for selling sets here below cost in order to cut out competition. As I recall, they eventually won. Anyway, after closing the plant they continued to sell TV sets but they were built by others. Your set is probably a rebadged Admiral.

Sams refers to Howard Sams, publisher of Photofact schematics. An invaluable resource when doing repairs. Your set is covered in volume 1199 and is folder #2 in that set. I probably have a spare, if you need it.

Check out some Look magazines, maybe Life, from around 1971. I recall them having ads for their color consoles around that time.

radiotvnut
08-05-2009, 12:01 PM
And by the '80's, they were made by goldstar and orion. I've seen both chassis used in '80's Emerson branded sets. I've actually seen very few pre '80's Emerson sets. I saw a mid '60's 17" B&W and a cheap late '60's B&W console in a metal cabinet.

Rod Beauvex
08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Trivia: In 1970 they closed down their TV plant as they could no longer compete with Japanese imports. They sued "Japan, Inc." for selling sets here below cost in order to cut out competition. As I recall, they eventually won. Anyway, after closing the plant they continued to sell TV sets but they were built by others. Your set is probably a rebadged Admiral.

My how the times have changed. Selling below cost from the start is pretty much standard practice these days. At least in the video game console business. Ask Sony and Microsoft.

Sams refers to Howard Sams, publisher of Photofact schematics. An invaluable resource when doing repairs. Your set is covered in volume 1199 and is folder #2 in that set. I probably have a spare, if you need it.

I think I would be interested in this.