View Full Version : Two sets of many I'd like to have

TinCanAlley
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I really miss televisions with character and style. When my LCD is off, there's no reason to look at it. Now my Chromacolor II set is worth looking at even when off.

I think the RCA pictured here is a great looking set. The GE isn't so pretty, but it has the coolness factor for being so large and providing a shelf for the VCR.

radiotvnut
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I saw one of those early GE big screen TV's at a repairman friend of mine's shop back in the mid '90's. It used a 13" color TV and some mirrors to project the image up on the screen. I think this is the oldest "big screen" that I've seen.

rca2000
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Now, the RCA set is NOT as nice 'inside" as you might expect. it is a ctc-92, or even newer, with a crappy CRT. That cabinet WAS kinda neat, I reckon. I had one about late 1991 o early 92, and sold it for under $100, IIRC. Since it was a hot chassis set and NOT anything special circuit-wise- it was NOT a keeper to me in any way.

As for the big GE projo set--that is a "Widescren 1000 set" and is CRAPPY!! They only had ONE CRT, and were VERY dim--even when new in 1979 or so. A coupe have "crossed my path"--and I let them "sail on" to their fate.

On the OTHER hand--I would GLADLY trade one of my spare roundies, (I have a Zenith 24Mc32 set, a ctc-16 RCA combo, and a rough 25Mc33 set and a Philco clone CTC 15--rough cabinet) and perhaps TOSS IN a couple of 60's BW sets too--for ANY of the 1976-78 Direct Address CTC-74/81 RCA sets. I have TWO of the remotes for them..but NO sets. I have only seen TWO of them. one was a console ctc-81, back about new years of 1986, behind a TV shop, I used to live near in lebanon. Ohio. The CRT neck was broken, but ALL else was there, including the DAP package, and all. BUt...the owner must have known I wanted it..cause the next day, when I cam to get it with help...ALL of the boards on the chassis had been smashed..the DAP package was gone, and the modules were missing.

The CTC-74 I saw, was in 1987, when I worked at a crummy TV shop in Dayton. it was the portable model, and I wanted it. It had sat around for awhile, unclaimed, but the owner would NOT let me get it. After a major time of getting little pay and cheated...I had to leave that job in early 1988....And the shop went out of business a few years alter. Soon after--it became somethihg else, and the CTC-74 likely got crushed and buried.

SO...anyone know of any of the CTC_74 or CTC-81 Direct address sets(they D0 NOT have ANY power or tuning controls on the set-ALL was remote), and could come this way--I will trade one of the aformentioned roundies and some other sets for one. Heck..for a complete, fixable CTC-49 set--I would trade one of those roundies too. The same applies to a 1y22b55 Zenith 19" solid state set--I want one, and have NEVER seen one. A 25CC55, 25DC56,or or 25DC57 or 58 Zenith set, would be trade material too.

rca2000
07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I saw one of those early GE big screen TV's at a repairman friend of mine's shop back in the mid '90's. It used a 13" color TV and some mirrors to project the image up on the screen. I think this is the oldest "big screen" that I've seen.

I've got an older one. I have an Advent VT-1000A, and I KNOW it must be '70's vintage. It is buried in one of my garages--and wants a home, from someone who could use it. I rescued it a few years ago, hoping someone would want it sometime.

radiotvnut
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking that the GE set that I saw used a "YP" chassis. I think the "YP" was basically the same as the "YM" that was used in the 25" consoles. The main difference was the CRT size. I'm sure many will agree that the YM was not one of GE's better sets. Every one that I saw had a bad flyback or a bad CRT.

TinCanAlley
07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Was more going with the looks of the cabinets. It is interesting to find out that the widescreen unit was a single CRT inside, though.

I think it would be cool if a manufacturer made an LCD and Plasma set that was just a standard/universal chassis. Then custom cases could be made for them. You could look through a catalog, find the case you like and order it based on the screen size. Give them some character again.

kx250rider
07-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I had a couple of customers with that GE. What a pile of crap. As said above, it's a 13" tube with a lens and mirrors. At least the designers had a common decency to make the whole chassis pull out in 1 piece with the CRT on it.

Charles

bgadow
07-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a stack of reel-to-reel recordings of TV audio from the mid/late 70s. The shows might not be much to listen to, but the commercials are great. From one I have the TV ad that went with that RCA ad. "The Colortrak aligns it, defines it...RCA is making television better and better."

rca2000, your offer will certainly have me looking this summer as I browse the flea markets!

Sandy G
07-11-2009, 10:13 PM
The thing that got me about TV cabinets during the last, sad days of consoles were how REVOLTINGLY cheap 'n' nasty they were...horrid looking & feeling phoney-baloney plastic appliques, "Woodgrain" that was paper or plastic stick on, & knobs so rinkty-dink, they felt like they'd break in yr hand if you twisted them too hard. No wonder people quit buying consoles...

Sam Cogley
07-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I really miss televisions with character and style. When my LCD is off, there's no reason to look at it.

You need one of these: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239788

TinCanAlley
07-12-2009, 12:11 PM
You need one of these: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239788

Wish I had the skill to build something like that. My 47" Philips LCD is mounted on top of a 2' square 70's end table. I made the upright supports and crossmembers, cut two 2" openings in the top of the cabinet, slid the supports into the openings and bolted them to the sides. It works, but would look better if the LCD didn't dominate so much.

zenith2134
07-12-2009, 12:23 PM
That is a beautiful ColorTrak. I love these.

julianburke
07-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I only had one of those GE big screen sets in the past that I sold and had all of its' history with the original bill of sale from a friend's business. It was nothing more than a 14" portacolor in that little box on the right side reflected up to the screen with a series of mirrors. It was a little dim but it worked. Sony also had a similiar set.