View Full Version : Classic Front Projection Tvs

TV Engineer
06-30-2009, 08:58 AM
I just acquired, free from it's original owner, a Mitsubishi VS507R front projection TV. It was made in 1982, and is the fold-out-mirror style that was popular at the time. It's in as nearly flawless condition as I've ever seen a used TV, and the previous owner even gave me the owner's manual and remote with it. It has 2 A/V inputs and a stereo amp, so it's pretty "modern" by most of our standards! LOL.

Anyhow, after a lense cleaning and some touchup on the convergence, it's got about the best picture I've ever seen on a 50" projection set. So much so that it replaced the 30" digital set that was in the livingroom.

Since then, I've acquired an RCA PGR100 and a Sears (Sanyo) 50" of the same type from postings on Craig's List. Both were easy to get running, and both show very nice pictures. Unfortunately, the screes are damaged on the RCA and the Sears.

Does anyone know of a source for the "silvering" that was used on these curved screens? Or a source for a new screen? (Does Sears have parts for old sets in their warehouses somewhere?) Or the gain of the screen, so I can try to find an acceptable substitute? Or anything about the screens used with these sets? Or a parts source for them? Also, I'd like to find a manuals for these sets.

Please help guys. I know the collective knowledge base here will have the answers I seek. Thanks!

kx250rider
06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I've heard of a re-silvering paint, but I know nothing in the way of details. Try an old photography shop, as they probably know what to do about movie screens. If all else fails, you could probably just use a flat white primer, and carefully fog-coat it with a light silver non-metallic paint. But definitely experiment first by using a piece of white paper, and laying it partially over the screen before you touch the original screen... That way, you can compare and see what you'll get before you jump in all the way.

BTW: If that RCA gets a vertical problem, it's bad connections on the vertical module (solder-in ceramic module). Very common & easy to fix!

Charles

Trance88
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
There's a really nice 1980-something Mitsubishi front projection TV in the Lobby of the hotel at the camp I work at. Interesting these use a concave screen apposed to a flat or convex screen. It's light colored wood and it kinda looks like an armoire when closed up. It's a fold out just like TV Engineer's. Too bad the Mirror is all smeared up with fingerprints! Pretty neat as I've never really seen a TV like that in person before. I think the mirror needs to be adjusted because a couple inches of the top of the screen are cut off and the convergence could be tweaked a pinch.

Nakdoc
06-30-2009, 02:18 PM
curved screens give a slight optical gain and correct focus in the corners.

andy
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM

TV Engineer
07-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Nakdoc & Charles...

Thanks much for the info. It will be most helpful, and has given me some ideas.

Best!