View Full Version : CTC-38 (?) Combo, Anybody?

bgadow
05-30-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm just getting back to normal after 8 days on the road, a very good vacation. Seems like a month ago that I left...took in plenty of flea markets out in KY/WV/OH. First, there is no shortage of solid state era stuff out there for those who are into it. Plenty of 12" bw, 13" color, even plenty of "boom box" TV's. Spotted a couple early 80s Quasar consoles and a late 70s Curtis Mathes. None of that really interests me. I did bring home a nice selection of radios (small 30's Airline console, Sentinel portable, small early 60s Zenith console stereo that I only got because Kim fell in love with it! Also got an early 70s Trans-Oceanic)

There was one TV set that made me stop and think, and I came very close to getting it. It was an RCA combo, old logo. I think it is a CTC-38-it has the same control panel as the early CTC-40, but no mention of solid state or "Trans-Vista", just "New Vista". The stereo is solid state and works (typical noisy controls) but the TV played dead. I pushed the circuit breaker and there was a loud hum for a few seconds before it popped again. Bad filter cap? The tube cap had been pushed in on the back but it appears all is okay back there-I didn't feel like moving things out of the way to get a closer look. The set is marked $50 but the owner said he would take $35. If this were anything but a combo I would have gotten it...I realize the -38 can be a troublemaker but still...thing is, I have absolutely no room for a combo. (heck, I don't have room for all those radios, either!) I even thought about buying it and then scrounging a cheap cabinet to put it in. Anyway, the set is a days drive away from me so I am now out of the picture! I have been talking to one AK'er about it; in case he doesn't get it, I thought I would let others know. It is located in Ashland, KY. I won't go into more detail in public, if interested send me a PM and I'll pass along details. Usual disclaimer: I have no interest in this set, other than I want to keep it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.

(note: I might be able to scrounge a photo-my wife took it on her cellphone. Not sure how to get it posted here)

kx250rider
05-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Hummmmmm-POP!? ..... I bet it's a 40, and the SCRs in the power supply are shorted. I can remember seeing a few 40s with virtually no markings indicating they were solid state. The early ones said New Vista Color, and maybe had a little tiny logo next to the Nipper & Gramophone logo that was a schematic symbol of a transistor. Naturally it could also be a 38 with blown B+ diodes, resulting from leaky filters, or I think I've seen a shorted degaussing thermistor cause that in an RCA.

Nice set, and you don't see those so much anymore.

Charles