View Full Version : Call Me Mister Dummazz...

Sandy G
05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Y'all remember that funky Sony power cord I was looking for, to fit that 8-301 TV I got ? Well, Harry Poster-bless his heart- sent me one. Well, I was loading up a bunch of Stuff to take to Terry DeWick's ystrday, stuffed the cord in my pocket, grabbed the 8-301 & off we go...Well, reach into my pocket to give Terry the cord when we get down there...An' it was gone. Uh-oh. And I'm afraid I know where it is...Got home last night, & yep, there it was- In the Sun Room, where I keep the dogs when we aren't here, neatly chewed in 2. Still haven't found the end that has the funky "Sony" female end to it, if they haven't worked it too bad, I may be able to splice it back together, somehow. Sony, being Sony, & therefore difficult & ornery, just HAD to use an oddball power cord for all their stuff... But I blame myself, for not holding the gawdam thing in my hot little hand & PHYSICALLY setting it on top of the TV when I set it in my truck....Grrrrrrr !.....I don't suppose anyone else has ever pulled such a colossal boner as this, have they ?

SPL db
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't suppose anyone else has ever pulled such a colossal boner as this, have they?

Nope, never have, not once, no way, no how! :bs: :D

Scott

luvvinvinyl
05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Sandy, can you take a pic, even a poor, cellphone one, of the business end of that Sony cord?

luvvinvinyl
05-08-2009, 07:55 PM
or find a picture of the back of one of those tv's?

Sandy G
05-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Wish I could, Ernie...I may go, hat in hand, back to Harry to see if he has another one...May be all for naught anyway, if Terry can't get the 8-301 to work...Fortunately, COSMETICALLY, its in excellent shape, & will make a GREAT display set, if it doesn't work.

old_tv_nut
05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
But I blame myself, for not holding the gawdam thing in my hot little hand & PHYSICALLY setting it on top of the TV when I set it in my truck....Grrrrrrr !.....I don't suppose anyone else has ever pulled such a colossal boner as this, have they ?

I did something similar when the only internet connection I had was a unique cord for modem card to phone line, and I left it in a hotel room in Japan. Taught me to ALWAYS pack the small stuff FIRST.

Good luck on that cord.

avionic
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Still haven't found the end that has the funky "Sony" female end to it May have to follow your doggy around and wait for him to pinch a loaf..:lmao:

compucat
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I think that cord is the same as used on the common 5" model, 5-303 I think. It is a four prong female end with an orientation protrusion moulded in. You could get a junker 5" Sony with the cord to get a replacement, one option.

Sandy G
05-09-2009, 03:57 AM
I think that cord is the same as used on the common 5" model, 5-303 I think. It is a four prong female end with an orientation protrusion moulded in. You could get a junker 5" Sony with the cord to get a replacement, one option.

Yep, it is. It was a commonly used cord on a LOT of Sony equipment, my CRF-230 bigazz AM/FM/SW radio from 1970 uses it as well.

jhalphen
05-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Hi Sandy,

Re: Sony power cord. See pictures below.

Hope this helps,

King-size goofs: In 1987, purchased my first satellite receiver, in the UK, while at a trade show. Was under severe pressure by colleagues to pack ASAP & catch a cab to the airport. Frantically stuffed the Sat gear in my suitcase & departed. Found upon arrival in Paris that the all important remote control was left behind, lost somewhere in the hotel bed sheets! This was a NEC receiver, took me 3 months to get a spare remote (no Internet ordering back then).

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

kx250rider
05-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry to hear about that... We've all done it. Worst case was a CT-100 cabinet top that I thought had all 4 latches secured. They weren't, and the top is somewhere along Interstate 5 between Hwy 22 and Hwy 10. Luckily, it was a junker CT-100 that I bought for $25, and I didn't need the top. But it's the idea of my oversight that bothers me.

That Sony cord is fairly common (functionally, that is), but the appearance of the AC wall plug itself changed a few times. The early ones are smooth at the AC outlet end, and have a concave circle with "SONY" embossed inside. They were light gray. Later, they had the same light gray thin cord, but the AC plug had flanges so your fingers wouldn't slip around the front and touch the prongs while plugging in. Last, they made the cord heavier, and added a white stripe to the neutral side. And I think I've seen a few brown ones from the 90s, which would have been the last gasp of Sony new replacements. I'm not sure, but I think the female (TV) end stayed the same physical appearance throughout the years.

Charles

Eric H
05-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I recently picked up a couple of these Sony car adapters, don't know what set they are supposed to go with or if it'll work for the 301 but possibly the cord part could be used for repair?

It has a big TO case transistor inside.
The flash washed it out but there are four holes in the plug.

Sandy G
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Hmmmm...Eric, if that ain't it, at least it's the "Double-1st-Cousin"...

Kiwick
05-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't suppose anyone else has ever pulled such a colossal boner as this, have they ?

I did!

As some of you may already know, i keep part of my TV collection in a partitioned area of the same barn where i keep my two horses and the mule, their stalls all have dutch doors (half height)

I once scored a rare 1980 Telefunken super deluxe set with a two way bass reflex speaker system and so on, the weather was miserable and i was in a hurry so i backed up my car into the barn and left the Telefunken on a bench near the mule's stall then turned off the light and drove away.

When i came back later to take a closer look at the set, i was horrified to find the set face down on the floor, with a split cabinet, the rear cover busted off and the PCB chassis broken around the flyback, apparently the mule managed to reach to the set and chewed the upper front edge of the cabinet then toppled it off the bench,

he was lucky the CRT didn't implode on him!

Carmine
05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
apparently the mule managed to reach to the set and chewed the upper front edge of the cabinet then toppled it off the bench,

I think few of us can say we've had that happen.

It wasn't this particular Donkey who did it, I hope... He's the "cutest little donkey, he never even kicks." (you gotta click this link)

Dominic the Donkey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5rOO2v2dU)

Sandy G
05-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Only thing MEANER than a Donkey or a Mule is a Stud Pony...Them Evil l'il sumbiches will lay & wait for 10 years til they can get you into a stall & kick the livin' FIRE outta you...They will. They LOVE to unload on you w/both barrels at once, too..

Kiwick
05-10-2009, 06:57 PM
My mule is actually gentle, trusting and safe to have around, even inside his stall, but he loves to chew, topple and rip apart stuff especially when he's bored, he also LOVES to bite my goats!

He's an invaluable companion in my UE trips, he's trained to climb stairs and get into narrow passages, basements etc. as long as the floor is clear from rubble and safe for his weight.
Squatters and junkies will usually think twice before approaching you if you're riding a potentially lethal half ton beast, and he allows me to get away fast if i need to.

Sandy G
05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, you got a VERY good mule then, all the ones I've ever been around are kinda "ill-tempered". And I've always been nice to horses, ponies, donkeys, mules, speaking softly to them, offering them grass or an apple, trying to re-assure them that I'm a friend, & often as not, they'll come at me w/their ears pinned back, ready for murder & mayhem...(grin)

old_tv_nut
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
some topics drift - this one rode off on a mule!

Sandy G
05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, it kinda did & its MY fault...But Good News on the Funka-Delic plug...I'm gonna get one from Eric, who graciously offered it to me. This forum never ceases to amaze me w/the help, technical know-how, & all around GREAT camraderie/"Karma" that is in abundance here daily...

Kiwick
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Talking about oddball power connectors, when i was a kid (about 10 years old) i had a 5" Russian "videopocket" B/W set, the power socket on the TV was a 6 pin affair and had both 230Vac and 12Vdc inputs, the 12Vdc car lighter cord had the same connector as the 230Vac one but wired differently

At some point i lost the original AC cord, then i found out that a standard figure 8 power connector would fit just fine between two pins of the set's power socket, so i plugged it in and... BLAM! i blasted the set with 230 volts on the 12Vdc input & toasted every single transistor and IC in the set!

Well all came good in the end, as my granny bought me another identical set (they were very cheap) and i also had a broken set to tear apart & have fun with, it was incredibly well built, it had a box-shaped chassis with several hinged modules! i still have the "surviving" set today along with its cords.

fsjonsey
05-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Talking about oddball power connectors, when i was a kid (about 10 years old) i had a 5" Russian "videopocket" B/W set, the power socket on the TV was a 6 pin affair and had both 230Vac and 12Vdc inputs, the 12Vdc car lighter cord had the same connector as the 230Vac one but wired differently

At some point i lost the original AC cord, then i found out that a standard figure 8 power connector would fit just fine between two pins of the set's power socket, so i plugged it in and... BLAM! i blasted the set with 230 volts on the 12Vdc input & toasted every single transistor and IC in the set!

Well all came good in the end, as my granny bought me another identical set (they were very cheap) and i also had a broken set to tear apart & have fun with, it was incredibly well built, it had a box-shaped chassis with several hinged modules! i still have the "surviving" set today along with its cords.

I'd love to see pics of your videopocket some time! Soviet consumer electronics really intrigue for a couple of reasons. Their construction techniques were, erm, interesting to say the least, and because they were never sold here in the 'States, for obvious reasons, we don't see them often. Was the videopocket an attempt to clone one of the early Japanese solid state personal portables, like Sony's 5" Micro-TV?

Mr Hoover
05-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Soviet consumer electronics really intrigue for a couple of reasons. Their construction techniques were, erm, interesting

There was a portable TV called a Rigonda sold in the UK in the early 1970's
picture of it here
http://scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10463702

Remember it on promotion,collect some packet tops of Kelloggs cornflakes
and send them in with quite a low amount of money at the time for a portable
TV.

The set had a nasty problem in the power supply where a series voltage
regulator transistor would go short circuit & the CRT heater would be
overrun if I remember correctly.Some equivalents to Soviet transistors were hard to find also

Hugh

Kiwick
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
the Videopocket was made in the mid 70s- early 90s time frame, it was probably competing with cheap Asian portables, the Videopocket was just as cheap but much more complicated and better made (like most Russian electronics). mine was from 1988

The screen is "pure flat" (but with round corners), it has two 2" speakers with massive Alnico magnets, modular chassis construction and manual varactor tuning.

Here's a picture of a Videopocket, this one has a different brand and the cabinet is red instead of tan but it's otherwse identical to mine (which is buried too deep to take a pic of it right now)