View Full Version : Tandberg CTV1

larschr
05-02-2009, 05:28 PM
I bought this rare Tandberg color TV in late march from a collector that was downsizing the collection. It had worked until his basement was filled with water and this and other TVs were (litterally) drowned. The CTV1 is from 1970, and i assume most of them are long gone now. I have never heard about anyone who owns or owned one, neither did the guy i bought it from. Not so strange really; who would spend a shitload of money to buy a color TV when no one knew when we would get color broadcasts? When that happened in '72-73, solid state model were already available. I assume most of the CTV1s sold in norway were bought by schools for educational use (to teach electronics students how to repair a color TV). The CTV1 is mostly transistorized, but the RGB amp and line output stage is tube-based. The HV rectifier is solid state. The 110degrees CRT makes the cabinet very big ad difficult to handle without any help. When i got it, it didn't work, it looked like rubbish and it smelled awful. I disassembled it completely and cleaned it up, sanded down the outside and gave it 3 coats of teak oil. I cleaned the chassis with a steam cleaner and left it on a big (and hot) transformer at work for a few weeks to dry completely off.
I reassembled it this week, fixed some bad solder joints in the power supply, plugged it in and turned it on. The sound came immediately, and shortly after the "whistling" of the line output came too. But when the high voltage came on, the HV rectifier started arcing. I replaced it with one from an old Philips. When i turned the set back on, i got two horizontal lines on the screen. I sprayed all the (rusty) pots and all the plugs inside with contact cleaner and turned it on for the 3rd time. And guess what! The picture came up. The green beam is the only one working and there is a v. hold problem (picture is "rolling"), but the picture looks sharp. At this point it looks like there is two bad caps on the CRT board causing the problem with the red and blue - i bypassed the capacitors one at a time with a piece of wire, and the missing colors appeared to work. I haven't taken any good pictures of it yet, but i uploaded a movie on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1e4PZU6no

Kiwick
05-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Nice set, i'm glad you saved it!

Looks like you're losing the vertical sync pulse somewhere, as it isn't even trying to lock the picture, maybe a bad transistor.

Was the cabinet particle board? if so, how did you manage to put the corners back together? i once restored a rare 1971 Grundig Triumph which spent some weeks in the elements and the particle board cabinet warped and splitted apart, restoring it was a work of love, i had to smash the cabinet apart, i then soaked each board in water then pressed them flat by laying them between the concrete floor of my garage and a heavy plywood sheet and then pressed them flat by leaving my car parked on top of the plywood sheet for a couple of days.

Then i glued the joints and put the cabinet back together using several roof rack straps under great force.

I also had to replace rusty trimpots and to wash the entire chassis with a PCB cleaner to remove the whitish corroded solder flux, then had to take the mechanical pushbutton tuner to its component parts to remove the rust and put it back together.

It looks very good now but not perfect, i had to put some filler in the corners as there was no way to put them back together perfectly.

I also found several other TVs after a severe flood struck near my town but these spent a few days under muddy water and were only good for parts.

larschr
05-04-2009, 07:26 AM
The cabinet hadn't started to peel apart yet, at least not more than maybe 1 millimeter at each corner. It was probably exposed to water for just a short time.

site123a
05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but did anyone here ever worked on a Tandberg monitor or know if there any good?

Tony V
05-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Neat tv and nice clip of The Seekers.
-Tony

KentTeffeteller
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Tandberg monitors are among the finest available from any company. Many TV stations use them the world over.