View Full Version : old Silvertone worth restoration?

RobtWB
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
This old beast has been in storage forever. An old Silvertone Suburbanite 24" b/w console in the ever popular wheat color!!!
Powers right up with a nice bright full screen raster, but has a problem with vertical hold. Sound available on all 12 channels.
Cabinet is dirty but should clean up easily.
Can not find a date on the monster, but the original manilla envelope containing the manual and schematic is still with the set. I can only find a copyright date of 1958, which looks about right, given the sets looks and VHF only tuner.
Looks like it is missing a trim piece on top of the safety glass, and rod spreaders between the legs, but otherwise complete.
I guess its only use would be to stick a vcr on top of the set and watch vintage b/w movies.

Any thoughts???

zenith2134
04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Interesting set. I like that tuner.

Voting yes, restore it. :thmbsp:

bgadow
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Probably a simple restoration-change out a few caps and roll with it. By your comment, I guess you don't like watching color shows in b/w? This set will put out a great picture with a converter box.

RobtWB
04-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Hello Bryan,

You are right, I like color, especially "vintage" color, mid seventies and backward. Seems the phosphor used back then had a more pleasing hue!! I really like watching my James Bond movies on VHS on that '75 xl100 I recently refurbed. But there is nothing wrong with b/w. I drove last fall 700 miles to Batavia to pick up a '63 Zenith b/w console that drh4683 had for sale. I need to post photos of that some day. It is pretty!! I have looked forever trying to find a late 60's/early seventies RCA b/w console we had when I was a kid. I'd sure like to find one of them, but I suspect that they all have ended up in landfills.

BTW I missed a Silvertone UHF converter in the same wheat color on ebay a few months back. Wish I had it to go with the set.

You are correct I think re: restoration. Should be pretty simple, especially given the original schematic is with the set.

Tony V
05-01-2009, 01:01 AM
I say go for it. I love this style of tv sets!
-Tony

batterymaker
05-01-2009, 07:37 AM
If you browse through the 1958 Sears catalog at wishbookweb.com, you'll find some TV's similar to yours. So, best guess is your set was made between 1957 and 1960.

Bill