View Full Version : Funai Longevity

AUdubon5425
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm curious - what's the longest running Funai set y'all have seen?

I'm asking this because I've stumbled upon a lot of fairly new yet broken Funai products in the last month.

My neighbor's Magnavox DVD/VCR combo died last week, just refused to power up again - it was 2 years old. Three days later I'm telling my brother about it, he has the exact same unit, and he presses the power button and nothing happens - that one was one year old. Both had seen limited use.

I was given a Magnavox 13" color TV with the DVD player, made Dec 2005, hadn't turned on in over a year. Couldn't get it to power on, fuse wasn't blown, just pitched it as it was filthy from sitting in a warehouse.

Now, my own Durabrand 27" set from 2005 is starting to get the bends in the picture.

zenith2134
04-29-2009, 09:53 PM
They're all crap from what I've seen. Maybe 4 or 5 years.

radiotvnut
04-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't think I've seen a Funai TV over 5 or 6 years old that was still working. Most don't last that long. Cold solder joints, low grade caps, flyback failures, vertical deflection failures, etc. are the norm. My church had a 19" Funai built set that was used for maybe 1.5 hours every Sunday as a broadcast monitor. After about a year, they hit the power button and it fired up and shut down. They gave me the set and I found a shorted scan diode feeding the 200 volts to the video output circuit. The diode was a little glass 1N34 looking device. Not what you'd expect to see in a scan circuit. And, they generally don't take a power surge very well. Also, the power supplies are not protected; thus, often frying the rest of the set when they run wild and send several hundred volts through the rest of the chassis. I will say that I've never seen a bad CRT in one.

Their VCR's are even worse. I rarely see one over 2 years old that's still working. Many don't make it to one year.

jedo1507r
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
I've resurrected a battered 9-inch combo set made in 1997, where it's AC power supply was completely dead. Turns out it was a bad cap, but the PS board could pass for extra crispy (burned looking) especially around the cluster of resistors. The only thing decent on those sets are the Samsung CRTs.

Funai's DVD players seem to defy the odds in reliability, but that's not saying much for a plastic fantastic box.

kx250rider
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
When I find my stopwatch, I'll go to the store any buy a Funai, set the watch, and turn the TV on... I'll report back in a minute or two from then :)

Charles

Kiwick
04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
What about older Funai products? i know they're around since at least the late 60s but they were mainly making simple things like radios and tape players back then.

waltchan
05-01-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm curious - what's the longest running Funai set y'all have seen?
Without any objections, the 80s Funai products (TV/VCR combos and VCRs) were the longest lasting products ever made by them. Technicians would seldom see any 80s Funai product coming in for repairs as they were rated high in reliability by Consumer Reports back then (although they do suck now today). I have a 1985 Symphonic VCR (Funai's first VCR) that is still running fine today, as well as a 1988 Funai video cassette player. All it just needs is belts after more than 20 years of use. The 1985-1988 Funai VCR chassis was built stronger than Hitachi's six-belt chassis and Sharp chassis, in my opinion. Funai was the first VCR manufacturer to use a geared idler, which never fails to turn a tape. Many of you probably have never seen an old Funai product, so the bashings of Funai will continue today.

waltchan
05-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Their VCR's are even worse. I rarely see one over 2 years old that's still working. Many don't make it to one year.
Sorry to say, but I do see quite a number of 20 year old Funai VCRs still running fine today (not including mines).

AUdubon5425
05-01-2009, 02:06 AM
I didn't realize they were producing stuff that far back. My Dad had a Symphonic VCR hooked to a Candle 19" TV in the late 80's (they came with his 2nd wife.) I think he was still using the VCR until around '99 or so.

Of course, a lot of companies, even those who focused on budget-grade products, built better products 25+ years ago.

KentTeffeteller
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Those old 1980's Symphonic VCR decks were excellent, especially for being economy decks. Easy to work on and reliable. Well built. Their modern TV sets last less than one show in lightning country. Very underspecced diodes.

radiotvnut
05-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Yep, I've fixed a good many Funai TVs with shorted diodes. Have also fixed a good many where the main filter cap was blown out the top and the fuse was blown. Like you said, very under rated parts. And, I've seen others where the power supply was so heavily damaged to the point where I junked the set. About the only way I'll fix a Funai TV is if it's a simple, "hit me in the face" 15 minute fix. Wait, it's almost to that point with ALL brands of BPC and SPC TVs.

PioneerGuy75
05-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I have an Emerson 19" combo VCR DVD TV unit that I have had for about ten years now. Even with daily use it is still going strong!

Bought it "refurbished" at Big Lots!

AAA3330
05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Funai.:thumbsdn: I bought a Symphonic(funai) 9" tv/vcr combo. It lasted through the one year warranty and that was about it. The other day I bought a Magnavox dvd player. Found out it was made by Funai. Immediately returned it to the store. I don't know what all products that Funai is making for Magnavox, but beware.:yikes: Don't know exactly what this company's deal is or whether they used to make a quality product. Could be quality control, cheap parts, poor assembly techniques. All I know is my personal experience and I've heard lots and lots of bad about them.

radiotvnut
05-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Funai.:thumbsdn: I bought a Symphonic(funai) 9" tv/vcr combo. It lasted through the one year warranty and that was about it. The other day I bought a Magnavox dvd player. Found out it was made by Funai. Immediately returned it to the store. I don't know what all products that Funai is making for Magnavox, but beware.:yikes: Don't know exactly what this company's deal is or whether they used to make a quality product. Could be quality control, cheap parts, poor assembly techniques. All I know is my personal experience and I've heard lots and lots of bad about them.

Let's see how many names I can come up with that are actually Funai built. This should save you some trouble the next time you go shopping.

Symphonic, Sylvania, and Emerson are actually Funai. I do know that Magnavox DVD players, DVD/VCR combos, and DTV converters are Funai built. I'm not 100% sure; but, I think some Magnavox TV's are Funai built. The later model Philco branded DTV converter boxes are made by Funai as well as later Sanyo VCR's. Also, many of wal-mart's Durabrand TV's are built by Funai.

As far as other brands of VCR's and DVD/VCR combos, if it's in an all plastic case and weighs less than 3 lbs., it's made by Funai.

I hate to admit this; but, I actually bought one of those last Emerson $40 wal-mart VCR's. After a few months of use, it got so it would stop playing in the middle of watching something. The last straw was when it ate one of my tapes. To the trash it went. My neighbor bought the same VCR under the Sanyo brand and had to take it back because it was dead. The clerk didn't act surprised that the VCR was coming back. She said those came back quite often. Those VCR's are handy as a tuner for use on non cable ready TV's and for use as an RF modulator when using a DVD player on a jack-less TV.

Celt
05-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I have a 13" Emerson DVD/TV in the bedroom that I bought in 2002 that get's several hours of play every day. Knock wood, but so far I haven't had any problems with it. Can't say the same for the Panasonic and Sony sets I owned, which either died within weeks or months of purchasing them.

MRX37
05-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Okay... brand new Funai here. Starting the stopwatch and powering it up...

Mmm hmm, so far so good...

Oop! There it went! 52 seconds! Hm, their quality must be improving...

Seriously, I have yet to find one Funai that works.

sampson159
05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
my son works for a refurbisher.he says that a good portion of funai items will fail within the year and they are running about a 20% return in 30 days after purchase.sets will work approx 1 hour and cease!i have a few funai dvd players and they are 2-3 years old and seem to work fine.also a couple of tvs that plug along and they are almost ten years old.even so,not a name i can be comfortable with.remember the days of zenith and rca?i quess we will never see that kind od quality again.

Celt
05-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I have no idea who actually made the JVC 27" set I have in the front room, but so far its been a good set. For all I know, it could have been made by Funai or Gold Star.

waltchan
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Okay... brand new Funai here. Starting the stopwatch and powering it up...

Mmm hmm, so far so good...

Oop! There it went! 52 seconds! Hm, their quality must be improving...

Seriously, I have yet to find one Funai that works.
Give me a break on your falsetto story. :boring: I will never consider Funai as the worst of the worst manufacturer. Why don't you try the Chinese brands, like Haier, Apex, Polaroid, Coby, Sansean, and use the stopwatch?

waltchan
05-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I have no idea who actually made the JVC 27" set I have in the front room, but so far its been a good set. For all I know, it could have been made by Funai or Gold Star.
All JVC CRT TVs have been made by JVC since the beginning (except some 13" sets and combinations).

waltchan
05-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Don't know exactly what this company's deal is or whether they used to make a quality product. Could be quality control, cheap parts, poor assembly techniques.
It's cheap parts that Funai used that dropped more than 90% in their quality since the 80s.

Eric H
05-10-2009, 02:29 PM
This thread has now outlived many Funai products. :D

waltchan
05-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Symphonic, Sylvania, and Emerson are actually Funai. I do know that Magnavox DVD players, DVD/VCR combos, and DTV converters are Funai built. I'm not 100% sure; but, I think some Magnavox TV's are Funai built. The later model Philco branded DTV converter boxes are made by Funai as well as later Sanyo VCR's. Also, many of wal-mart's Durabrand TV's are built by Funai.
Not all Philips/Magnavox products are made by Funai. Funai will only make Philips/Magnavox products for Wal-Mart/Sams Club stores only. If you go to Target, some Philips/Magnavox products, including DVD players, are made by Philips themselves. The Philips-made one is better made. It's worth going to Target.

As far as other brands of VCR's and DVD/VCR combos, if it's in an all plastic case and weighs less than 3 lbs., it's made by Funai.
You'll be surprised to know that ALL Toshiba DVD/VCR combo players/recorders are now made by Funai with starting price at $94.99.

MRX37
05-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Give me a break on your falsetto story. :boring: I will never consider Funai as the worst of the worst manufacturer. Why don't you try the Chinese brands, like Haier, Apex, Polaroid, Coby, Sansean, and use the stopwatch?

I still haven't found a working Funai. Just ones that won't power up.

Found working RCA's, working Zenith's (pre 1990's), Panasonics, Toshiba's, various other brands of TV's that either worked, or weren't too hard to get working, and I did actually find a working Coby boom box once.

radiotvnut
05-10-2009, 03:42 PM

And don't leave Lennox Sound, Westinghouse, and Vizio off the list. Aren't the Westinghouse and Vizio brands made in China?

The local Winn-Dixie grocery store used to sell Haier TV's. A friend of mine got 4 or 5 that were customer returns from the store manager. The only one I was able to fix was a 13" set. There was a damaged trace where the AC cord attaches to the PC board. The picture wasn't that great even after I fixed it.

My Brother-in-law has a 24" Apex set that he bought in 2003. I think he paid $129 for it. Much to my surprise, it's still going. I think his is about the longest running, without a problem, Apex TV that I've seen. OTOH, a friend had a similar set that just died when it was only a few months old. The store wouldn't honor the warranty and said he'd have to ship it back to the factory for service. He ended up getting me to fix it and the problem turned out to be a shorted diode in the 130 V B+ line. He was not happy about this, saying "my grandmother had a big Zenith that lasted 25 years before it died". I reminded him that the Zenith was a much better built set and it cost more than $129.99. Also, I just came into an Apex DTV converter. It's performance is worse than the Funai built Magnavox.

jedo1507r
05-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I can vouch for a Coby DVD player being a perfect trash heap topper. I tried to fix one that was given to me by a friend of mine and when I opened the unit, the hair-thin wires separated from the joints and are almost impossible to resolder. The laser voltage pots are in a bad spot, the machine's housing is equally all-plastic. It became fast friends with the contents of my trash bag. By the way, this paragraph has outlasted a typical Coby DVD player.

Compare that junker to any Funai-made DVD player (and only the company's DVD players). The Funai is a better value for its reliability and durability amongst its class. Heck, even a Venturer-made DVD player is a smarter choice than a Coby.

radiotvnut
05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah, my Brother-in-law also had a Coby DVD player that crapped out after about 5 movies. He couldn't understand why it died so fast since he paid the high price of $24.99 for the thing. He's one of those guys that always searches out the lowest possible price and then complains when the item dies in short order.

I've replaced shorted rectifier diodes and bloated caps in DVD players. Other than that, I've not had much luck repairing them.

jedo1507r
05-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, my Brother-in-law also had a Coby DVD player that crapped out after about 5 movies. He couldn't understand why it died so fast since he paid the high price of $24.99 for the thing. He's one of those guys that always searches out the lowest possible price and then complains when the item dies in short order.

I've replaced shorted rectifier diodes and bloated caps in DVD players. Other than that, I've not had much luck repairing them.

Yikes! $25? That's drugstore prices! Around here, a typical Coby (GPX, Curtis, or other low-end brands) ranges $14 to $20 at a discount/electronics store worth their salt. Yes, those undercut many of our local thrifts' prices, which often have the same models.

I have worked with a Durabrand-badged Venturer STS75E HTIB, adjusting the laser pots (which are clearly marked CD and DVD at an easily accessible location, :thmbsp:) and got it working well, even changed the region code--which happened to automatically enable VCD playback, which is very unusual to me. The downside, Dolby Pro-Logic processing cannot be switched off, a serious PITA when you just want to use it with only TV speakers, and a lot of suspicious caps throughout the unit.

Any of you remember the Koss/Oritron players? Worse than Apex, but not as bad as Coby. :puke2:

radiotvnut
05-11-2009, 12:13 AM
My cousin just bought a Funai built Magnavox DVD player at wal-mart for, I think, $29.99 + tax. At one point, one of the local electronics stores was advertising DVD players for $17. No brand name was given.

Currently, I have an Apex DVD player. I got it, a sharp VCR, and a lawnmower all for $75 when my neighbor passed away. The only time I've fired up the DVD player was to make sure it worked. At this time, I don't even own any DVD's. The Sharp VCR works fine. I use it everyday to record shows off of RTN.

Robert Grant
05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
My Sylvania 6427GFF (Funai but not PRC) still going strong, heavy use since 12/26/2005 (I know, that's not saying much for it).
Hope it never dies - color gamut in DTV is beautiful, but I am not optimistic it will last as long as my older sets have.
One more note - in the time I bought it, many were saying that the Funai models were being returned far less often than some of their competitors of the day.

wa2ise
05-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Why don't you try the Chinese brands, like Haier, Apex, Polaroid, Coby, Sansean, and use the stopwatch?

I'd need a stopwatch that can measure Planck time epochs, the shortest period of time known to man, 10^−43 seconds... :D

vinljnkie
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM

I bought a 13" Apex for my bedroom in 2002 after my 1984 Samsung built Philco 15" died and it's still going strong with no problems. Granted it doesn't get tons of use, maybe an hour a week.

I'm new here and have an appreciation for vintage TV's but have no idea about repairing them aside from giving them a whack on the side;). Still have the old Philco and would love to see it work again. Maybe someday I'll meet someone who wants to mentor a clueless newbie:thmbsp:

Celt
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm new here and have an appreciation for vintage TV's but have no idea about repairing them aside from giving them a whack on the side;).

Funny how that always seemed to work... :scratch2:

zenith2134
05-12-2009, 10:42 PM
The slap on the side often works because so many TV's develop poor solder joints all over the place. Combination of heavy use, poor manufacturing, and heating of the circuit board(s)

holmesuser01
05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Old TV service tech here.

Symphonic stuff in the day just ran and ran.

Funai is one now that I wont touch. I always lose money when I try to fix them.

Funai made a 13 inch color set for Emerson that was a real workhorse back in the 1980's. It was good looking too!

andy
05-13-2009, 11:59 PM

waltchan
05-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Old TV service tech here.

Symphonic stuff in the day just ran and ran.
I think the old Funais like to run and run because they used little amount of PC circuit boards that are smaller than the heavy VCR chassis itself. They were simple-designed too.

AUdubon5425
05-20-2009, 11:09 PM
I bought a van today that has a new Durabrand CD radio in the dash - don't know if Funai builds those too but it's the cheapest radio I've ever seen - there is no way to control the balance, fader or tone.

radiotvnut
05-21-2009, 01:19 AM
I wanna say that Lennox Sound builds their audio stuff. Yeah, real top notch audio equipment.

batterymaker
05-21-2009, 07:42 AM
I wish some of these companies would change their name to a truthful one: Press't-Shit.

waltchan
05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I bought a van today that has a new Durabrand CD radio in the dash - don't know if Funai builds those too but it's the cheapest radio I've ever seen - there is no way to control the balance, fader or tone.
Funai doesn't make any car stereos. This one was made by Lenoxx Sound.

PioneerGuy75
05-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I have an Emerson 19" combo VCR DVD TV unit that I have had for about ten years now. Even with daily use it is still going strong!

Bought it "refurbished" at Big Lots!

Still working great!! :banana: Guess I got a good one!

AUdubon5425
05-14-2011, 10:14 PM
(5/20/09) I bought a van today that has a new Durabrand CD radio in the dash - don't know if Funai builds those too but it's the cheapest radio I've ever seen - there is no way to control the balance, fader or tone.

That Durabrand radio lasted all of five months before the display went out! Sold the van 17 months and 40,000 miles after the above post.

jstout66
05-15-2011, 10:29 AM
My luck on Funai products hasn't been good. I like to think I'm somewhat "with it" on vintage stuff, but have no clue as to who owns/makes what in modern gear.
In 2004 I bought 2 Toshiba VCR/DVD combo's. The price wasn't that cheap and I thought I was getting something that might last longer than the "cheapies". The first one dies within the year, the second one got glitchy and I quit using it, and ended up selling that. Come to find out.. Funai made products.
Around the same time someone gave me a non working Magnavox 13" TV/DVD combo. It had a dead short, so I thought I was "crafty" by returning it to a chain store for another one. That one was dead out of the box. Returned it, got another, and the picture was so bad, I returned it and got a store credit. Again.. Funai made product.
On another note, in 2004, I bought a higher end 24" Flat screen Toshiba TV. I found out it has an Orion CRT, and most likely made by Orion. I will have to say, it still works and has a fantastic picture. That set was one I exchanged for a Sony Wega, that I bought. That set had too dark of a picture and was glitchy within a week. I read online of all the issues Sony was having with the Wega line, and made the store give me a Toshiba as those had the same features, and was within the price range.

I also have a 32" JVC I'Art (2003 vintage) so hopefully that is a full JVC product. Fantastic picture, but that one is developing problems as well. If it's humid and you first turn it on, the picture is out of focus for a few seconds before it locks in.
I dought ANY of the last gasp CRT sets of that era were made that well.

waltchan
05-15-2011, 12:41 PM
In 2004 I bought 2 Toshiba VCR/DVD combo's. The price wasn't that cheap and I thought I was getting something that might last longer than the "cheapies". The first one dies within the year, the second one got glitchy and I quit using it, and ended up selling that. Come to find out.. Funai made products.

They're actually made by Orion.

Jeffhs
05-15-2011, 01:06 PM
(5/20/09)

That Durabrand radio lasted all of five months before the display went out! Sold the van 17 months and 40,000 miles after the above post.

Didn't you also have a 27" Durabrand TV? If so, is it still working? I seem to remember you mentioning in a post to one VK thread several years ago that you did have such a set, but it was damaged or destroyed in the floods accompanying Hurricane Katrina.

AUdubon5425
05-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Didn't you also have a 27" Durabrand TV? If so, is it still working? I seem to remember you mentioning in a post to one VK thread several years ago that you did have such a set, but it was damaged or destroyed in the floods accompanying Hurricane Katrina.

I gave away the 27" Durabrand on CL - which was an experience in itself. That was the last time I didn't set something on the curb before posting the ad. My brother bought a flat-screen and gave us a 2008 Sansui 27" crt set. I believe it is an Orion and is behaving so far. I was having problems with one or more colors cutting in and out but that stopped when I took the cable box out of the mix. It is handy to have the DTV tuner built into the set.

wkand
05-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I do not recall if I posted previously to this thread or not. I have a Symphonic 12" TV - VCR from 2000 that still plays strong with no repairs with 5 to 10 hours a week of use since it was purchased from BB on Black Friday. I still uise it as an alternate recording VCR when my Mitsubishi is tied up. Will probably record the new Jesse Stone movie on it this weekend.

Walt