View Full Version : Recent Find: Sony KV-2654R

AndyMack
03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
This came my way a few weeks ago, and tonight I got the chance to play around with it a bit. It's a KV-2654R, manufactured June 1983. I got from the original owner who purchased it new at a local dealer in Glens Falls NY, which is nice since it saves having to retune all the presets.

It seems to work pretty well. Color is good though greens are a touch weaker than red & blue. I had a couple of questions about this set:

Did these Sony consoles always have smallish, tinny speakers in them? I was shocked at how cheap this set sounds compared to my Zeniths. It sounds like it has the same speaker as the 15" Sony table set I have.

Both of my Sony sets, roughly the same vintage (the other a KV-1547R) have this slight vertical 'jitter' in the picture. I don't know how else to describe it, but it's noticeable esp. when there's graphics in use on the screen.

You may notice in the pics that the picture comes just about to the top of the tube's scan area. Is there an adjustable vertical height control on these sets? This console has no accessible controls in back without removing the cover, which I haven't done yet.

site123a
03-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Slight vertical jittering should be normal, unless it's to the point were the whole image is obviously shaking.

To adjust the vertical size you'll need to take the back cover off, once you have it off you should see a diagram where all the controls are located. Your going to adjust the one labeled "V. SIZE", turn that trimmer slightly clock wize. As for the weaker green gun, on the CRT neck board there is a trimmer labeled "G. BKG", your going to want to adjust that one with the set on to see your progress.

Be cautious with the back cover off since there are dangerous voltages inside the TV...