View Full Version : Early Sharp Color

bgadow
03-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Today I stopped by to look at a decent sized antique radio collection which is for sale. (an estate) I didn't find anything I couldn't live without; had the prices been low enough I might have loaded the truck. Anyway, before I went down there I was told there was one TV set, no details. Could have been anything! Turns out it was something worth a second look: a Sharp color console from the sixties. Tiny little thing with seperate safety glass; decent, but not great, shape. I didn't see a model number on the back; the tube cap isn't attached but from what I can tell the crt is intact. As usual, it was the one item there that wasn't priced. I offered $30, they called back later and said $70. I am really curious who else would buy it, if not me. If there is someone else around here I'd really like to meet them-so I can unload some of my stuff on them! Well, I really don't see myself paying that much for a set that I have no room for, and who knows about the crt, etc. Wish I had a photo to post. Comments? If anyone wants to drive down here and get it let me know, I'll give you the contact info.

zenithfan1
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Offer 'em fitty for it and see what happens. Sounds like a cool set. Not many around, that's for sure.

kx250rider
03-08-2009, 12:55 PM
There is a Sharp portable from the early 60s with the big bakelite base like a 21FJP22. I've only ever seen one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was offered in a consolette cabinet. That's a RARE tube, if that's what it has! Toshiba also had a 14" color consolette of the same era, with the big 21" round type base. I had one, which another SoCal AK'er bought from me a few years ago.

Charles

radiotvnut
03-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Wasn't there a Sears set like this? Probably made by Sharp or Toshiba.

kx250rider
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Wasn't there a Sears set like this? Probably made by Sharp or Toshiba.

Yes... The Sears with the weird large-neck tube is a Toshiba-built set.

Charles

bgadow
03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I remembered that big-neck tube being talked about; I didn't want to pull the back where it was sitting but since the tube cap was off I could reach in there and tell it was a "small neck", like most 23v. At least that is what it felt like. This one is a 19"; has the "old" Sharp logo, in an oval. This is the kinda set I used to lose sleep over...but with no room in the inn, I can't worry too much. Now, I'll be working on my taxes this week, and if they come out much, much better than I expect-then maybe I'll treat myself!

Oh, while I'm crying about no room...fellow from church gave me his old console tv today (it was me or the dump.) '92 Zenith Sentry 2. Yipee! If I can fix the intermittent it has in, oh, 30 minutes or less, then I'll stick it out on the curb for free. Otherwise I'll part it out.

radiotvnut
03-08-2009, 10:30 PM
What sort of intermittent problem does it have?