View Full Version : Help on a modern Toshiba, 20AF41

jedo1507r
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
I just got a hold of this set and it's relay is clicking every couple of seconds when the set is plugged in. Obviously it will not turn on. A search on this model brings up bad caps or a defective IC (with a recommendation to "jumper" it), but I'd like some opinions here.

Anyone have a schematic on these early 2000's Orion-built Toshiba sets? Any experience with this problem?

waltchan
02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I just got a hold of this set and it's relay is clicking every couple of seconds when the set is plugged in. Obviously it will not turn on. A search on this model brings up bad caps or a defective IC (with a recommendation to "jumper" it), but I'd like some opinions here.

Anyone have a schematic on these early 2000's Orion-built Toshiba sets? Any experience with this problem?
Oh wow, you got perhaps the first year of Orion-made Toshiba sets. If only you bought your TV 6 months earlier, it would be made by Toshiba.

radiotvnut
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Look for a bad electrolytic cap located somewhere close to the relay. Also, check the horizontal output transistor and the diodes off of the switch mode transformer for a short.

jedo1507r
02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh wow, you got perhaps the first year of Orion-made Toshiba sets. If only you bought your TV 6 months earlier, it would be made by Toshiba.

Haha, it was a curb find earlier this week - so maybe eight and a half years too late. :D Speaking of original Toshiba-built sets... linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lXHHkJP1iQ)

radiotvnut: I'll look into the bad caps, HOT and diodes.

radiotvnut
02-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I just had another thought. It could be a shorted vertical IC. If you remove the IC and the set powers up with a horizontal line, the vertical IC is bad. If the IC is indeed bad, replace the electrolytic caps around the IC. There will likely be a 100 uf or a 220 uf cap that blew the IC.

PacificStereo
02-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I stopped repairing sets around 1997. Toshiba switched production over to <gasp> FUBAR? Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Are those sets Orion designs (GAH!) or did Toshiba simply have them do their production?

Those bad caps around the vertical parts are legend.

Toshiba- In Touch With... well, not so much, anymore.

radiotvnut
02-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I stopped repairing sets around 1997. Toshiba switched production over to <gasp> FUBAR? Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Are those sets Orion designs (GAH!) or did Toshiba simply have them do their production?

Those bad caps around the vertical parts are legend.

Toshiba- In Touch With... well, not so much, anymore.

The newer Toshiba's are rebadged Orion's. I've seen a few Orion branded sets that had the exact same chassis as the Toshibas. Orions are a little better than Funai; but, not by much. The main problems I've had with orion sets is the switching regulator (2sk2633, IIRC) and the vertical IC and associated parts. If lightning strikes one of these, you can usually forget it.

jedo1507r
02-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Orion did contract work for Tosh's CRT sets starting in 2000 to ??. Comparing to the garbage Funai combos I've worked with a couple of months back, these are a small tad better - only in parts suppliers (i.e. Nichicon v. Sus'con caps, JVC v. Bai Li flybacks). Some smaller Toshiba sets were indistinguishable to Orion, Broksonic, World, Sansui, and others.

Toshiba did let themselves go, in a washed-up former superstar kind of way. :thumbsdn:

Here's the set:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jedo1507r/Toshiba%2020AF41/004.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jedo1507r/Toshiba%2020AF41/003.jpg

I'll see if I get a picture out, but I'm not expecting much for a curb find and may wind up parting it out. It's a bit bland when pitted next to an early-'80s Trinitron.

waltchan
03-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Toshiba-Orion history:

Orion began TV production for Toshiba on January 2001 as well as TV combos and DVD/VCR combos. All 27" or smaller (excluding 27" CRT flat screen) were made by Orion. By 2003, all 27" or smaller (including 27" flat CRT screen) were made by Orion. By 2005, all Toshiba CRTs, regardless of what size and price, are made by Orion. Toshiba peaked in 2006 when more than 70% of their products were made by Orion, most ever recorded in history. The rate has now dropped dramatically all the way down to 10% in 2009 because Toshiba CRTs are no longer made, plasma TVs are no longer made, DVD/VCR combos and DVD recorders are now made by Funai, and smaller LCD TV screens (excluding combos) are now made by Toshiba again in their new China factory. This is due to rising Orion's OEM labor cost along with expired contracts.

jstout66
03-01-2009, 08:58 AM
I have one of those sets in a 24" model. I bought it new in early 2004 and haven't had any problems with it yet, altho it does see light use. I was dismayed when I found out it was an Orion built set, but I do have to say it does have a fantastic picture and sound. I think they were made to be direct competition to a Sony Wega, which is the set I bought first. I had it a few days and the picture was awful. When I Googled Sony Wega and saw all the bad reviews, I found out the Toshiba had all the same features and was a top rated set at that time, so I had the store exchange the Sony for the Toshiba. Good luck with the repair on yours.

bgadow
03-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I had one given to me with no vertical drive. Sounds like that circuit sees plenty of trouble. I didn't want to put any money into it (nope, not even into a 32" set) so I gave it to a friend in the business. He already had one identical to it, a lightning victim, on his junk pile. I never saw the Toshiba again at his place so I think he junked it.

rcaman
03-03-2009, 03:16 AM
this should be the fix. it is from our tech board great techs there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fellas, I found C527 down in UFD's and changed. So far set is starting fine. Thanks for your help. T Burton

jedo1507r
03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Though I won't be able to get to it until later on this week.

Waltchan: so is the OEM labor cost the reason I do not see as many of Orion's products on the market now than a few years ago? Can't wait for a Funai-made Toshiba Blu-Ray player. :D :scratch2:

jedo1507r
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
rcaman: That's the fix!!! :thmbsp:

The 16 volt 470 microfarad cap (C527) was the cause, which I had several in the parts bin. This set turned out much better than expected, especially that the tube looks strong.

Thanks again!

waltchan
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Waltchan: so is the OEM labor cost the reason I do not see as many of Orion's products on the market now than a few years ago? Can't wait for a Funai-made Toshiba Blu-Ray player. :D :scratch2:
Getting an Orion-made product is harder to find now, but their OEM labor always cost more than Funai. Not sure why, though.

karmaman
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Nichicon caps? JVC flybacks?

I think that says it all. Their TV's don't sound half-bad for modern BPC.

jedo1507r
03-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Nichicon caps? JVC flybacks?

I think that says it all. Their TV's don't sound half-bad for modern BPC.

Yep, though I should clarify that this set has a couple of Nichi's and is chock full of Rubycons.

Very, very odd for BPC. But keeping with BPC standard, the design is flawed somewhere.

Waltchan: I have seen the typical Orion-built "Sansui" and "RCA" 27-inch SDTV sets next to each other (at different price points) at Walmart a week ago -- and these are the only Orion sets I have seen lately. My, how the mighty have fallen! :tears: