View Full Version : many Analog American TV stations will kill analog Feb 17 even if deadline is extended

wa2ise
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
In San Diego, mainly because of the electric bill for the analog transmitters, and that only abouy 7% of the viewers still use over-the-air.
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/73950

And many stations have already booked tower crews and transmitter swaps, and it be very costly to change those schedules.

If the Feb 17th deadline still stands, I was going to videotape the Jay Leno show that night off the local over-the-air analog station, channel 5 here in Seattle. Midnight would happen in the middle of his show, and the signal should die forever then.

radiotvnut
02-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I know that the local ABC affiliate plans to kill analog regardless of any date changes. The CBS and NBC affiliates are owned by the same people and I suspect they will also kill analog on 2/17.

I too plan to record the final few hours of analog TV on the three major local stations.

AUdubon5425
02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Two stations here have already gone dark, including the Fox affiliate who hasn't been broadcasting a digital signal ota for over two weeks now.

I'm going to set up three or four TVs tuned to ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS and tape it with my movie camera.

electroking
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
In San Diego, mainly because of the electric bill for the analog transmitters, and that only abouy 7% of the viewers still use over-the-air.
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/73950

And many stations have already booked tower crews and transmitter swaps, and it be very costly to change those schedules.

If the Feb 17th deadline still stands, I was going to videotape the Jay Leno show that night off the local over-the-air analog station, channel 5 here in Seattle. Midnight would happen in the middle of his show, and the signal should die forever then.

Is everyone sure that there will be a real saving in power once the
required adjustments have been made? Without getting too involved with
theory, I would assume that transmitting the same picture quality as
the former NTSC signal using digital means would save power, but actually
the transition involves increased resolution, multiple subchannels, etc.
I predict that within a few years, broadcasters will find out that generating
the same advertising revenue with the new technology will increase their
actual operating costs.

P.S.: of course I missed the fact that the transition involves operating both
types of transmitters at the same time. Sorry about that.

truetone36
02-02-2009, 08:03 PM
The local PBS station here shut off BOTH their analog and digital transmitters on Jan. 20th and they won't be on the air again till Feb. 19th.

Jeffhs
02-02-2009, 09:44 PM
I am not sure what the analog TV stations here in the Cleveland area will do on 02.17. :dunno: Haven't heard or read anything yet as to early analog shutoffs, although the NBC affiliate will switch from analog channel 3 to digital UHF 17 after a non-commercial station on the latter channel goes off the air after the transition.

BTW, there really isn't that much to be gained in northeastern Ohio by having a converter box and getting TV reception on an antenna. The pictures on the local stations' main digital channels will be clearer, but as far as more programming choices on subchannels goes, I don't know. Cleveland's TV stations do not seem to want to put alternate programming on their digital subcarriers; most of what I see from TV Guide's website for Cleveland TV (the listing you get when you enter your zip code into a text box on the site) is that the digital subchannels carry the same programming as the main digital signal. For example, if channel 17.1 in Cleveland (the station's main digital channel) is carrying the station's standard network and local programming, digital subchannel 17.2 will probably carry the same thing. For some reason, TV stations in this part of Ohio either do not want to or are, for whatever reason, blocked from carrying alternate programming on digital subchannels. The only exceptions I've seen to this, so far, have been that the CBS-TV digital weather channel is now being carried on a subchannel of the local CBS affiliate, and NBC Weather Plus, a now defunct digital weather channel, which was carried on a subchannel of the NBC affiliate until the service went dark on December 31 last year.

Other than that, there is really no alternative programming to be had (that I am aware of) in northeastern Ohio on digital TV subchannels. Channel 5, the ABC affiliate in Cleveland, from what I have read, apparently doesn't believe in carrying subchannel programming; I don't think the others do either, except for the CBS affiliate's use of one of its subcarriers for the CBS digital weather channel, and channel 3 having used one of its digital channels for NBC Weather Plus until that service went dark.

Oh, well. All one can hope is that one of the channels picks up THIS-TV (RTN is either off the air for good or is struggling at this time, from what I've read; perhaps NowhereMan1966 will chime in and tell us more about whether RTN is at least available on the digital subcarriers of channel 11 in Pittsburgh) or any one of several other channels now available for retransmission over subchannels after the dust settles from the transition.

pioneernut
02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Personnally I think its silly to delay the switch. I've got my converter, I'm ready. Besides they'll never get 90%+ compliance on the switch over unless they kill the signal. I've learned that there's alot of not-to-sharp-people in this world, you can tell em till they're blue in the face and they'll never get it.

old_tv_nut
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
the digital subchannels carry the same programming as the main digital signal.

Some of the stations are carrying their analog content, which is a down-res dupe of the main digital, as the second digital. It may be because they are using the digital signal to feed their analog transmitter. It seems to me there will be no reason for it once analog goes away.

OvenMaster
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
My local ABC and PBS analog signals got turned off last December(!), and the CBS outlet is a Low Power transmitter which is scheduled to go digital... sometime. :dunno: After February 17, all the stations in my area are going to shuffle their digital channels! Just to be on the safe side, I have my set-top box do a full auto scan once a week to catch all the changes.

jhal
02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I will be glad when all this is over with. You can't turn on any of the local channels without the countless ads, pop-ups, and banners on the screen about the switch. It's worse then election time with all the annoying crap aimed at the brain dead public that will scream and whine about not knowing about it. Sorry, rant over.:smoke:

DENNYDOG
02-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Personnally I think its silly to delay the switch. I've got my converter, I'm ready. Besides they'll never get 90%+ compliance on the switch over unless they kill the signal. I've learned that there's alot of not-to-sharp-people in this world, you can tell em till they're blue in the face and they'll never get it.

Me too. How many people watch tv on an over the air tv antenna anyways? Its not like it costs a fortune to get a converter box either. Switch it over and be done with it.

Duffinator
02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
I bought my first digital HDTV over eight years ago. Let's get this over with now, why even wait for the 17th?

wa2ise
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
(RTN is either off the air for good or is struggling at this time, from what I've read; perhaps NowhereMan1966 will chime in and tell us more about whether RTN is at least available on the digital subcarriers of channel 11 in Pittsburgh) or any one of several other channels now available for retransmission over subchannels after the dust settles from the transition.

RTN is still on Seattle KIRO DTV channel 7.2

Robert Grant
02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
I am not sure what the analog TV stations here in the Cleveland area will do on 02.17. :dunno: Haven't heard or read anything yet as to early analog shutoffs, although the NBC affiliate will switch from analog channel 3 to digital UHF 17 after a non-commercial station on the latter channel goes off the air after the transition.

BTW, there really isn't that much to be gained in northeastern Ohio by having a converter box and getting TV reception on an antenna. The pictures on the local stations' main digital channels will be clearer, but as far as more programming choices on subchannels goes, I don't know. Cleveland's TV stations do not seem to want to put alternate programming on their digital subcarriers; most of what I see from TV Guide's website for Cleveland TV (the listing you get when you enter your zip code into a text box on the site) is that the digital subchannels carry the same programming as the main digital signal. For example, if channel 17.1 in Cleveland (the station's main digital channel) is carrying the station's standard network and local programming, digital subchannel 17.2 will probably carry the same thing. For some reason, TV stations in this part of Ohio either do not want to or are, for whatever reason, blocked from carrying alternate programming on digital subchannels. The only exceptions I've seen to this, so far, have been that the CBS-TV digital weather channel is now being carried on a subchannel of the local CBS affiliate, and NBC Weather Plus, a now defunct digital weather channel, which was carried on a subchannel of the NBC affiliate until the service went dark on December 31 last year.

Other than that, there is really no alternative programming to be had (that I am aware of) in northeastern Ohio on digital TV subchannels. Channel 5, the ABC affiliate in Cleveland, from what I have read, apparently doesn't believe in carrying subchannel programming; I don't think the others do either, except for the CBS affiliate's use of one of its subcarriers for the CBS digital weather channel, and channel 3 having used one of its digital channels for NBC Weather Plus until that service went dark.

Oh, well. All one can hope is that one of the channels picks up THIS-TV (RTN is either off the air for good or is struggling at this time, from what I've read; perhaps NowhereMan1966 will chime in and tell us more about whether RTN is at least available on the digital subcarriers of channel 11 in Pittsburgh) or any one of several other channels now available for retransmission over subchannels after the dust settles from the transition.

I've read a report (I can't remember where) that WUAB (virtual channel 43, actual 28), which has been running a still notice, announcing that "The Tube" is no longer available, for more than a year, will be featuring "This" on 43.2, soon, if not already.

You are right, Cleveland is "subchannel poor" compared to other markets.

Sam Cogley
02-03-2009, 09:01 AM
PBS is our only local station that's really gone all-out with the subchannels, though our NBC station has the WB affiliate on one and a locally-produced weather channel on the other. Hopefully more will pick up the slack as they shut off the analog transmitters.

NowhereMan 1966
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM

You rang?! :D Well, here in Pittsburgh, we still have RTN, but it is on 11.2 instead of 11.3 since NBC Weather kicked the bucket so RTN is still going strong here, Mom's watching it now. RTN always impressed me as a shoestring operation, I should e-mail them and tell them they have fans out here. KDKA-TV, channel 2 (25 UHF DTV) only broadcasts the main signal, no subchannels, I'd like them to put CW on a subchannel although CW will have it's own DTV station. WTAE-TV, channel 4 has weather on 4.2 so I use that instead of NBC Weather. We have three PBS channels a HDTV one, the main programming one and a subchannel featuring locally made documentaries.

Nearby markets, Steubenville, Ohio, 9.1 is NBC, 9.2 is RTN and 9.3 is weather radar. Wheeling, WV, WTRF, 7.1 is CBS, 7.2 is Fox and 7.3 is ABC, down there, ABC is hard to get since channel 4's analogue signal is tough to get, in fact, the digital one is easier to get usually. Johnstown, channel 6, WJAC also carries RTN as well. I can't get the Steubenville or Wheeling stations too well until they go back to their VHF channels, so I'll get a second RTN station.

colorfixer
02-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I know its seems aggravating that most of the broadcasters will stick to the Feb 17 date, irrespective of any delay from the gov't. Here's the reasons why stations would stick to the deadline:

1. Stations would have to go along with a fixed schedule to change over if they need to swap their DTV assignments back to their analog assignment in order to allow for another station to occupy the former DTV assignment.

2. The amount of coordination to allow for station engineers to get together to do any alterations to a transmitter combiner in a shared antenna system/co-located transmitter site is mind boggling. I had to coordinate a tower maintenance day on a shared antenna system in FM broadcast environment, it was not unlike herding cats, very poorly behaved cats. :D

3. Many stations require(d) re-engineering to do the changeover, requiring specialized engineers which are hired guns, or tasked to care for a number of corporately owned stations. These people are over worked, and under paid and have to stick to a firm schedule due to sheer workload.

4. I'd wager that a few stations have leases at their present analog tx sites that expire at the end of February, giving them enough time to clear out their analog equipment by the end of that month.

5. $aving the dollars in a screwy economy that would pay for the energy bill to keep the analog transmitters lit up. Being in engineering, just getting the corporate bean counters off your back is more than worth it.

6. Fewer and fewer people use off air now than before, as a previous poster cited in San Diego. BTW: XETV will still be analog? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I'd like to see for myself what a full power VHF DTV signal would do over the flea power transmitters many are running now. The sheer frustration around here trying to get a solid lock from a 20 mile distant

7. Since the changeover has been in the works for a long time, many broadcasters have purchased new digital facilities, and have run their analog transmitters in "end of life" mode (read -into the ground). I know of at least a few stations in the northwest that have old transmitters from RCA and NEC that they just are limping along. Just trying to get a high power klystrode for some transmitters are almost as hard as getting a NIB 15GP22.

wa2ise
02-05-2009, 12:17 AM
5. $aving the dollars in a screwy economy that would pay for the energy bill to keep the analog transmitters lit up. Being in engineering, just getting the corporate bean counters off your back is more than worth it.

Some years ago, I heard of some UHF station in the Washington DC area that went digital and quit transmitting an analog signal. As they knew that most of their viewers got the station over cable TV systems. So they supplied the various cable TV systems in the area digital decoder/converters and antennas, helped set them up, and once that was done, quit analog. Their old analog power was something like a half million watts, and supposedly their digital wattage was much less, for the same service coverage area. The electric bill savings were significant.

ChrisW6ATV
02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Me too. How many people watch tv on an over the air tv antenna anyways? Its not like it costs a fortune to get a converter box either. Switch it over and be done with it.
I have watched only OTA TV since December 2005 (with a savings of over US$3000 in satellite-TV fees so far). With digital OTA, there are more chioces than ever before and thus it is easier to do without satellite (or cable) service.

I bought my first digital HDTV over eight years ago. Let's get this over with now, why even wait for the 17th?
My first HDTV tuner was an RCA in 2000 as well; I don't think I have watched anything analog since probably some time in 2001.

ChrisW6ATV
02-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Some years ago, I heard of some UHF station in the Washington DC area that went digital and quit transmitting an analog signal.
KCSM (channel 43) here in the San Francisco area dropped its NTSC (channel 60) signal in about 2004 after a problem with their analog transmitter or tower site. They did bring the analog station back on the air at lower power for a while some time later, but I think it is gone again.

OvenMaster
02-05-2009, 01:18 AM
I'd like to see for myself what a full power VHF DTV signal would do over the flea power transmitters many are running now. The sheer frustration around here trying to get a solid lock from a 20 mile distant
*snorts* Good luck with that.
I have a 1MW UHF ch33 DTV signal just 25 miles away and I can't get it in the summer when all the leaves are on the trees, with a 25' rotatable amplified outdoor antenna... yet the same station's analog VHF channel 3 is only 100kW, from the same antenna farm, and I've never had a problem picking it up with indoor rabbit ears!

I got a feeling that not that many people in my area will care... we have a cable saturation rate of >95%:(

Tom

AUdubon5425
02-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Signal reception isn't a big issue here since the terrain is flat (sinking, in fact) and the transmitters are within 20 miles. The digital transmissions are more finnicky than analog ones though.

My main beef with all of this is that I'll no longer be able to place my little portable Philco-Ford wherever I want to watch it without lugging a bunch of cables & the converter box with it. For me it defeats the whole purpose of having a "portable" TV.

fdrennen
02-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Anyone knows the plans in NYC?

Jeffhs
02-05-2009, 10:33 AM
My main beef with all of this is that I'll no longer be able to place my little portable Philco-Ford wherever I want to watch it without lugging a bunch of cables & the converter box with it. For me it defeats the whole purpose of having a "portable" TV.

I think there are portable TVs, not to mention VCRs and DVD recorders, with ATSC tuners available now--in fact, I'm all but sure of it, since stores are no longer permitted to sell new-in-box analog TVs with NTSC tuners; the only exceptions would be sets sold without tuners of any kind (for use only with line-input signals from OTA or cable converters, VCRs and DVD players) or the case of stores wanting to sell off their inventory of analog NTSC sets in a hurry. In the latter case, however, there must be a clearly worded notice, either on the set itself or in the instruction manual (or both), stating that the TV will not work after the digital transition unless it is connected to a converter box or to cable or satellite service. The notice must also clearly state that the set will continue to operate with VCRs, DVD players, and video game consoles, with no modifications required.

There is presently, however, no such requirement for analog NTSC TVs sold on eBay or Craigslist, that I am aware of. I think there should be; that is, sellers of used NTSC televisions must clearly state that the sets won't work after the transition without cable, satellite or an OTA converter. There are still many people who are completely unprepared for the transition and/or do not understand that their sets will no longer work with antennas after the analog stations go off the air. The scenario depicted in a Youtube video I saw a few weeks ago, in which an elderly woman is trying, unsuccessfully, to connect an OTA ATSC converter box to her old analog TV, is anything but unheard of; many people are baffled by the maze of wires behind their TV, and will not touch them under any circumstances.

If ATSC OTA converters were truly "plug and play" devices, such problems would not be issues today. I can only guess how often the very same scenario played out when UHF television converters first came on the market, leaving many viewers baffled as to how the box was to be connected to the TV. ATSC converters seem to me to be no more complicated than a UHF converter to connect to any standard television. My best guess is that, in those days, many people just left their TVs alone and didn't bother with UHF until the old set quit; then they got a new all-channel TV. The only exception would have probably been viewers with older VHF-only sets in markets with only UHF TV stations, but in these markets new TVs were, after April 30, 1964, already factory-equipped with UHF tuners, converters being used with older sets.

The same rule applies to new televisions sold after February 1, 2007. These sets must have ATSC tuners. Unlike UHF-equipped sets that still had VHF NTSC tuners, however, the new generation of high- and standard-definition televisions have only ATSC tuners. There is no need for the old NTSC tuner, since after the transition (now 06.12.09), the NTSC television system in the US will have been abolished, having been replaced by 100-percent digital. In some markets, such as Hawaii (all markets in the entire state) and several markets in at least one state on the mainland, analog TV already has ended; others are sure to follow suit, even before the official transition date. I think at least one of the PBS stations here in northeastern Ohio (Time-Warner Cable in this area carries two PBS affiliates) already has made the switch; I will remain watchful for developments at the area's other eight TV stations, as the Cleveland stations have not yet (to the best of my knowledge) announced plans to end early their analog transmissions.

wa2ise
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Another article on this:
http://my.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20090205/498a8060_3422_13346200902051877707178

This web site can tell you what signals are probably receivable where you are located: http://www.tvfool.com

Trance88
02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Most if not all of the stations here in Grand Rapids Michigan are planning on broadcasting analog until the extended date. Too many people still haven't gotten the box or new TV.

peverett
02-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I saw an article on MSNBC that indicated that the FCC would like at least one station to continue analog transmission in each market until the new June date. I am not sure if that will actually happen. If it does happen, tornado season(April, May, June) may be very interesting once people realize how crappy OTA DTV is in poor weather.

What Jeffs says about analog tuners being useless after the switch is not quite true. There will be low power analog stations still on the air(not sure if their programming is worth watching though) and if you are close to the Mexican border, you can watch their stations. They are not switching at this point. I think Canada is delayed until 2011 also.

As far as the small Philco, at least here, Wal-Mart was still selling small color CRT based sets with digital tuners the last time I was there. I am not sure how long that will last.

I live about 30 miles from the transmitters and have no problem getting DTV during good weather.

colorfixer
02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
NTSC tuners will be around in sets for a while yet. Communities that are served by low power translators or stations that are "low power" such as community LP stations are exempt the digital transition for a few years yet. It took a number of months into the awareness campaign for the NAB and PBS infomercials to admit to this.

mattdavala
02-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Our local stations in Portland, Oregon are all converting to digital Feb 17th. No delaying here!

See ya,
Matt Davala

zenith2134
02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't think that analog will hang on in NYC. I know for a fact that WNYW Fox 5 is going to switch over on the 17th of this month.

aerials
02-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Stations wanting to kill analog on the 17th. must inform the Feds no later than the 9th. of Feb.and I am sure the broadcasters will have to explain.

karmaman
02-08-2009, 01:48 AM
FOX 5 in San Diego is doing the switchover on February 17. They run commercials every now and then stating that the gov pushed the date back but they are still doing it on the 17th, and to contact the station for more info.

70salesguy
02-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Wilmington NC did an early transition to digital last October as a full-scale test market. I have been in Wilmington several times since then and things seem pretty normal. :D

There was an article in the local paper about some firemen helping people install their converters when they weren't fighting fires or washing fire trucks. :yes:

The worst part of this delay is 4 more months of those DTV-transition ads! :sigh:

kx250rider
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I just eMailed a friend at KTLA channel 5 in Los Angeles to ask if he knows their plans. They were the first commercial station to come online in 1947 here.

Charles

Tower Boss
02-08-2009, 12:31 PM
All network affiliates here in the Spokane area have formally notified the FCC that they are proceeding with shutdown on the 17th as originally scheduled.

Regards,
TB

andy
02-08-2009, 01:56 PM

kx250rider
02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Reply from my friend at KTLA: Plans undisclosed... But he's out on disability for a couple weeks, and says he may not be 100% up-to-date at the time he wrote the eMail to me.

Charles

zenith2134
02-08-2009, 11:17 PM
From what I understand, it takes a hell of a lot of power to keep one transmitter running, let alone two! Bet the small operations are hurting from this somehow. I mean, sure digital broadcasting is more efficient but what good is that if both formats are running in unison?

We'll see how this pans out.

electroking
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM
By the way, could someone enlighten me on these questions I have been pondering
for some time? Forgive me if it sound naive from an E. E., but will the biggest
ATSC transmitters be all solid state, or will they use tube outputs? Also, are any
power output stages derived from existing analog video transmitter designs, or
are they designed from scratch? Thanks in advance.

andy
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM

old_tv_nut
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
There is very little major difference in the final power devices for ATSC and NTSC. However, there are details of the plumbing and sizing of the devices.
In NTSC, the max power is during sync, and some transmitters used pulsing of the outputs to reach peak sync level. This won't work for ATSC, which must be scaled to make the peaks at random times as required by the digital waveform. These peak values are mostly within +6 dB from the average power. Some peaks may go higher, but it is not crucial if they are compressed slightly, as long as the signal passes the EVM limits explained below.

Whereas analog transmitter performance was measured in frequency response and non-linear effects on the chroma carrier (differential phase and amplitude), digital transmitters are characterized by the "error vector magnitude," the deviation from ideal, measured as the ratio of signal-to-(noise+distortion) in the output, as determined by a standard test decoder.

Digital transmitters also have much stricter out-of-band radiation limits than analog transmitters, to allow the closer packing of stations within the available spectrum - so they have more complex baseband, IF, and high-level RF filtering. In fact, the FCC "mask" is so tight that most test instruments cannot measure the over-all result, which must be measured in two steps: 1) the raw transmitter output, and 2) the filter attenuation.

I believe tube finals are still in vogue for high-power UHF.

old_tv_nut
02-10-2009, 10:42 PM

Does ATSC even require a different power output stage, or can they re-use their old one?

The old one generally will work fine, but the plumbing generally wouldn't meet the FCC mask. This is how many of the early tests were set up, when meeting the mask was not critical for interference during broadcasts from a single isolated transmitter. With the interim and final frequency allocations for 1600 stations, however, there were/are many cases of adjacent channel operation, especially digital next to analog during the transition years, so the mask was critical. The FCC was often clever in assigning an analog station their own adjacent channel for digital, thus making it in their own interest not to interfere with themselves.

Edit: I shoiuld note that the FCC mask specification didn't even exist during the early tests.

zenith2134
02-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Hey, thanks for the info old_tv_nut! Great read.

Makes very good sense that the adjacent-radiation rules are stricter with digital...wonder how an ATSC receiver would react if presented with spillover OTA?

wa2ise
02-11-2009, 12:58 AM
..wonder how an ATSC receiver would react if presented with spillover OTA?

Just wait until the "white space" devices get loose. These are devices that would be used like wi-fi RF links for home computers and such. 100mW don't sound like much, but that's gonna be a big whopping signal that will jam a nearby ATSC receiver...
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/68516

zenith2134
02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Hmm, how will the problem be alleviated? I doubt the FCC will be able to keep tabs on all of these devices....

I have a wi-fi here that operates at 2.4GHz and puts out about 100mW.....always wondered how safe it was to sit so close to it but thats another issue altogether.

Personally, I can't wait to see if any OTA digital 'pirate' stations pop up.....That would be neat.

richms
02-11-2009, 04:41 AM
Just wait until the "white space" devices get loose. These are devices that would be used like wi-fi RF links for home computers and such. 100mW don't sound like much, but that's gonna be a big whopping signal that will jam a nearby ATSC receiver...
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/68516

Whitespace will use positioning technology to know what channels are vacent and the power levels it can put out before it will start to overload tuners at a sane distance.

No idea what technology they will use but I would be annoyed if I had to get a GPS lock on a router or something before it would work.

KentTeffeteller
02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
In Knoxville, our local PBS affiliate's analog transmitter died last Fall. Since then, Digital only. No parts available as they bought an old RCA transmitter.

MRX37
02-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Well, I just did a test. It's almost 1:30AM here in Detriot, Feb 17th, and 2,4,7,20,38,50,56, and 62 are all still here.

wa2ise
02-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, I just did a test. It's almost 1:30AM here in Detroit, Feb 17th, and 2,4,7,20,38,50,56, and 62 are all still here.

I think it was supposed to be a minute past 11:59PM Feb 17th that analog was to die. It does get confusing as to which day a midnight belongs to...

old_tv_nut
02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
from fcc.gov