View Full Version : Zenith Chromacolor troubles

polaraman
06-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Looking for ideas as to why the lines are running through the picture. I poked and prodded and could not seem to find the issue. Chassis is 14DC15. I do not have a Sams for it. What should I be looking at?

polaraman

jstout66
06-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Hi, I can't remember off hand, but have seen that problem before. If it's a Chromacolor 2 chassis, then I think it's the module that has the wires plugging into it from the CRT socket. I can't remember offhand what the number is. If it's a tubed Chromacolor, I would think video output tube? If you get it figured out and end up needing a module, let me know and I'll send one out.

polaraman
06-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks, It is a tubed chromacolor. I brought it back from dead. Rescued it from a Tv shop. Been sitting for a number of years. Cleaned all the dust off and have a pretty nice set. Got a picture but the lines are driving me batty!!! I will recheck the tubes.

polaraman

Doug
06-22-2004, 08:58 PM
I would try turning the color off. If its still there then look in the video area , and of coarse if it goes away look at the color circuit tubes.
Maybe when rechecking the tubes ckeck for filment to cathode shorts. May want to tap on the tubes with a fiberglass insulated rod to see if any change.
Also maybe its the way the wiring is placed such as yoke wire to close to the video section.
Does it do it off channel or with the tuner unplugged? Maybe some kind of oscillation.
Hey I can be off on these statements its been a long while since I worked on tube types.

drh4683
06-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Hi Poloraman,

Ive had this problem before. It was the vertical blanker transistor which I believe is a 121-587. that should get the set back in line.

Doug

kc8adu
06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
and it is in a socket.easy to swap.bet that fixes it.

andy
06-24-2004, 10:34 AM
I've seen more trouble with the sockets than the transistors on these sets! I used to see a lot of Chromacolor IIs with the transistors soldered into their sockets to prevent intermittent connections. Try gently wiggling the transistor in its socket.

jstout66
07-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Polaraman, did you get the set working? Wanted to let you know i came across a ton of transistors and parts for old Chromacolors, so let me know if you need anything (free of course). Just need the Zenith part-numbers.....