View Full Version : projector conversion

Kiwick
11-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I've just found a late model (at a first glance there was no brand or model number anywhere on it) widescreen CRT projector dumped along a rural road, the lower half with the electronics and CRTs is missing its cover but otherwise complete, but the top part with the screen and mirror is in a thousand pieces.

i'm pondering the idea of modifying it to project pictures on the ceiling in my bedroom, is this straightforward enough to be worth a 2 hour trip with my horse and cart in the middle of winter? (this thing is NOT going to fit in my hatchback) or maybe it's a better idea to strip it of reuseable parts and leave the rest there?

Kiwick
11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Went back to take a better look at it in the daylight, it's a Philips, the cooling fluid leaked out of the green CRT and pooled all over the chassis underneath... Junk!

Got a nice pair of 8" speakers from it though

rcaman
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
it's a Philips junk

Kiwick
12-01-2008, 07:39 AM
The chassis in this projector had a crappy Chinese look to it, you know, white fiberglass PCB chassis with a lot of useless confusing markings on it, tons of hot glue, cheap stamped steel heatsinks and so on.

How sad... Philips used to make wonderful stuff in the old days... their first color projector, the "K40-PROJ" of 1983, based on the system4 chassis was real nice...