View Full Version : You can add JVC 2004 sets to the junk pile...

MRX37
11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Found a nice JVC TV, made in 2004. The CRT is nearly dead. Even with the G2 voltage set as high as it'll go and the brightness/contrast maxed out, the picture is still dim, has a blue tint, and the convergence is already failing.

Looks like Zenith's bad CRT formula spread to JVC...

waltchan
11-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Found a nice JVC TV, made in 2004. The CRT is nearly dead. Even with the G2 voltage set as high as it'll go and the brightness/contrast maxed out, the picture is still dim, has a blue tint, and the convergence is already failing.

Looks like Zenith's bad CRT formula spread to JVC...
The CRT screen is made by Zenith? I thought most JVCs use Panasonic picture tubes.

zenith2134
11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
In 2004? Doubt it would actually say Zenith on it. And even if it did, it would either say 'made in Malaysia' or 'made in South Korea' somewhere on the bell. JVC! NIVICO! I used to be a big fan.

Hey MRX, looks like you're about to break 1500 posts!

freakaftr8
11-06-2008, 01:52 PM
What MRX37 was saying is that Zenith CRT's of the mid 90's up and the JVC CRT's are both junk. I dont think there were Zenith tubes in the JVC units (at least as far as I know of).

The CRT screen is made by Zenith? I thought most JVCs use Panasonic picture tubes.

MRX37
11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
What MRX37 was saying is that Zenith CRT's of the mid 90's up and the JVC CRT's are both junk. I dont think there were Zenith tubes in the JVC units (at least as far as I know of).

No, the CRT has a JVC label on it.

What's funny is that a similar JVC model from 2001 still has half decent CRT in it, also with a JVC label...

radiotvnut
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I had a JVC of the same vintage with a bad CRT. The set came to me with some open surface mount resistors on the CRT neck board. I hung on to the set and eventually found a little older JVC with a burnt up chassis that used the same tube. I did a tube swap and all was well. BTW, my JVC was very cheap made.

I've got a couple 27" JVC's from the early to mid '90's that I have not even opened yet. They should be OK since they are from the '90's.

freakaftr8
11-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Typically when the crt goes south it probably starts to intermittantly short. I had a Hitachi PC monitor do the same.. It eventually took out the flyback!

Nakdoc
11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
JVC has 2 lines, the cheap stuff and the good stuff. We are an ASC for JVC and the only tube we've had repeat problems with are flat 32" sets.

radiotvnut
11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
The one I had was a 27" "D series" set.

Greg B.
11-09-2008, 06:22 AM
The one I had was a 27" "D series" set.

I bought one of those in 2001. I was a little suspicious because they replaced a previous line and had a lower price point while offering more features. But it worked well for me except for an annoying buzz from one of the speakers, fixed by opening it up and tightening one of the mounting screws. It is now mostly retired and in the basement since I bought a big screen a couple of years ago. Here's what it looks like (not my set, but identical):

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/ab348/jvc_dseries.jpg