View Full Version : Late 60's early 70's RCA TV

Eric H
05-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I would like to find some specific information on a 19" Portable B&W RCA set I had during that time period. A picture would be great.

Does anyone have any literature or ads showing sets from that era?

If I had to guess I would say the set was a couple years later than this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3638&item=3293457984&rd=1

Same color, same small knobs but mine had the controls to the right of the screen. something like this drawing.

Eric

Oh yes, it used a 38HE7 Output tube if that's any help :D

Jeffhs
06-03-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Eric H
I would like to find some specific information on a 19" Portable B&W RCA set I had during that time period. A picture would be great.

Does anyone have any literature or ads showing sets from that era?

If I had to guess I would say the set was a couple years later than this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3638&item=3293457984&rd=1

Same color, same small knobs but mine had the controls to the right of the screen. something like this drawing.

Eric

Oh yes, it used a 38HE7 Output tube if that's any help :D

The 38HE7 (and the similar 38HK7) were widely used as horizontal output/damper tubes in series-string portable TVs of late '60s through '70s vintage. I had at least one small portable during that time which used a 38HE7 in that position. It was a nice little set while it lasted, but something shorted in it after I'd had it about three years. I'll never know exactly what shorted in there now (it's been almost 30 years since I bought the set, and it's long gone by now) as the only clue I had that something was wrong was a small wisp of smoke coming through the ventilation slots in the cabinet, near the monopole VHF antenna.

BTW, I looked at the ebay listing for the "TV" you mentioned, but was surprised to find an RCA satellite receiver, with remote, listed there instead. (I couldn't get the picture to show, however, in the first listing.) I also examined the relisting of the same item and found the same thing. Where was the TV listing?

Chad Hauris
06-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Eric, here is one that is kind of similar... it is a 16" and uses a 38HE7. I have some sets that even look more similar to your diagram but they are at my parents' house in Ohio. Also I have seen some of the 19" RCA b/w sets at an old TV shop that I will be going back for...these however are the true 19" square corner screen sets, not the rounded corner 18".

wa2ise
06-03-2004, 08:11 PM
AM radio using TV compactron tubes (http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/compaa3.html)

Oh yes, it used a 38HE7 Output tube if that's any help
The 38HE7 (and the similar 38HK7) were widely used as horizontal output/damper tubes in series-string portable TVs of late '60s through '70s vintage.

This is rather off thread, but I used compactrons 11AR11, 8B10, and 38HK7 to build/ modify an AM radio. And another using a 58HE7, 12AC10 and 16BQ11. In that one, the heaters added up to about 85V, thus allowing the use of a 1N4004 diode to run the heaters off the powerline.

Eric H
06-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Chad, that's getting close, the layout is the same, mine was, I suppose "Harvest Gold" and it had a white? fold down handle on top.

It was a pretty crappy set, broke down several times and didn't make it through the 70's as I recall.

Towards the end I had the back off so I could tune it as the tuner shaft had broken off.
OK, that was my fault from my heavy handed tuning :D

Eric

Chad Hauris
06-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Wa2ise, I have always found those compactron radio modifications interesting...I made an FM radio using a 17C9 RF/convertor, 8BQ11 1st and 2nd IF, 6SL7 1st audio and 6L6 output. I used silicon diodes for the ratio detector and power supply, and used a seperate heater transformer with appropriate series resistors for the 17C9 and 8BQ11.

I may try building another such radio using a 6GF7 or 17JZ8 to replace the two conventional audio tubes in my first prototype.