View Full Version : If anybody NEEDS a semi-pro JVC color camera

Richard D
05-10-2004, 03:25 PM
From what I would think is the mid 1970s with a large studio type viewfinder on top. here ya go,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3814952350&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

It's only 50 bucks. You could not buy a vidicon for that

heathkit tv
05-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Many of the cameras used on the Conan O'Brian show are smallish Sonys similar to this. Have been to many of tapings (by brother is friends with a crew member so I can get VIP passes). The funny thing is that these smaller cameras is that they are a jack of all trades.........have seen them hand held, mounted on tri-pods, hung overhead on one of those movable suspensions, etc.

My my, how times have changed from the 2 ton Tessies of years ago!

Anthony

Richard D
05-10-2004, 04:54 PM
I recently saw a print ad for an RCA TK 41 and it said weighs less than 800 pounds* At the bottom of the page it said
*not including lens or control unit or viewfinder.

Jeffhs
05-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Richard D
I recently saw a print ad for an RCA TK 41 and it said weighs less than 800 pounds* At the bottom of the page it said
*not including lens or control unit or viewfinder.

That sounds like the type of camera TV stations used in their studios and on wheeled dollies, years and decades before the advent of robotic cameras as are used today at many local TV stations on news sets. I can't see any remote camera operator lugging one of those 800-pound TK-41s around at a football game, etc.; in fact, if these monsters had external control units and viewfinders, they would almost have to be mounted on dollies. The newer, smaller Sony cameras Anthony mentioned are much better suited to use for remote telecasts.

BTW, I'll have to look at the set of Conan O'Brien one of these nights to see those new Sony cameras. Haven't noticed them yet. Hmmm. Now I'm wondering. Do the Tonight Show, or for that matter the evening news on any of the networks, use the new robotic cameras?

Sandy G
05-11-2004, 02:59 PM
I dunno why-must be some sort of sickness- but I've always wanted a FUNCTIONING TK-41. Don't have anywhere to put it, have absolutely no need whatsoever for it; don't know how to run it or work on it; just always kinda wanted one of the damn things. Used to see 'em on TV when I was a small fry & thought they were kewl.-Sandy G.

bgadow
05-11-2004, 03:00 PM
don't know too much about cameras but do find them interesting. I recall a big flack when it was announced that the NBC Nightly News was switching to a robotic camera of some sort, complaints of how it was putting cameramen out of work, I think there was a short bit on SNL or somewhere when this happened, and they showed the camera slowly drifting towards the floor or some such. Not sure if it was all the newscasts or if they are now back to humans.

Richard D
05-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Sandy G
I dunno why-must be some sort of sickness- but I've always wanted a FUNCTIONING TK-41. Don't have anywhere to put it, have absolutely no need whatsoever for it; don't know how to run it or work on it; just always kinda wanted one of the damn things. Used to see 'em on TV when I was a small fry & thought they were kewl.-Sandy G.

Hey Sandy, I will try to find the web page I saw that also states something like, Requires only three standard 2 inch video/control cables!

Sandy G
05-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Richard- Do they also say something about needing 3 men & a boy to operate it ?!? <grin> Mebbe they got one of these things at the ETF & if I get to go there they'll let me play w/it for awhile & get this outta my system...Be a junior-league Cap'n Video you know HehHehHeh...Nah, that would prolly just make me want one that much more...-Sandy G.

Chad Hauris
05-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I remember that when I went on a tour of WEWS TV-5 in Cleveland, OH. they had 3 robotic camera operators in the early 1990's for their newscasts.

Here in the Midland/Odessa TX. area they still use all human camera operators for their newscasts at all the stations.

Richard D
05-12-2004, 10:02 PM
one or is in restoration now, still trying to find the web site
Richard

Richard D
05-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Sandy G
Try here,
http://www.ev1.pair.com/colorTV/TVcams-in-action.html

Steve D.
05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
No kidding, I used to work with these TK-41 color cameras early in my career. It took 4 guys just to heft the camera body. Jesus, it was always less view finder and cradle head and lens. You couldn't lift em otherwise with out a fork lift. We mounted them on tripods for remote broadcasts. In studio they were atop Houston-Fearless pedestals. It was amazing the places we had to shoe horn these cameras into. There's a picture of me behind one of these monsters on my web page. Last pix on the page.
http://community. webtv.net/stevetek/StevesCT100

Eric H
05-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Is this the page you were looking for?

http://www.pharis-video.com/