View Full Version : Zenith 17JC55 Chromacolor II

radiotvnut
08-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I went to the Salvation Army today looking for old junk. I was quickly overcome with disappointment over all the '80's consoles (more than last time), computer monitors, an '80's GoldStar 13" knob tuner, and BPC stereo equipment. I did see a mid '80's 19" GE PC chassis set; but, I didn't really give it a second look. Just as I was getting ready to leave, I saw a TV peeping out from under a computer monitor and other junk. I quickly discovered that it was a 17" Zenith CCII in what looked to be decent condition! There was no price on it so I lugged it up to the counter and asked the price. The guy thought a minute and said $10. I told him that I liked older TV's and he pointed out the PC chassis GE set and said they were just before throwing it away. He said the cord had been cut and they had no way to test it. I asked what he wanted and he thought for a few seconds. I said "what about $5." He thought some more. I said "that's better than throwing it out." He said OK and I loaded it up. I'll go into more detail with the GE in another thread.

This Zenith is a '77 model and was built in Missouri. It uses an inline CRT but it has a different style socket than what the System 3 tube has. The set had no color and a crappy B&W picture. I borrowed a chroma module out of another set and got color back but the picture was still not that great. The red gun was weak and the other two were good but took longer to come up. I "cleaned and balanced" the red and left the other two alone. The picture is still a little soft and is too red until it warms up. I guess I need to track down a 17V inline Zenith tube in case this one craps out.

This is now the new bedroom TV, replacing a 13" KTV.

andy
08-11-2008, 06:10 PM

kx250rider
08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Come to think of it, I can't think of any 17" SysIII's I've seen, nor any 17" inline Chro II's... I guess they were rare. I've seen quite a few 17" delta gun Chro II sets, ranging from the first chassis to the last one (as this one above). Now I can't remember ever seeing a 13" delta gun in a Chro II, but I've seen a lot of 13" Chro II with inline.

Great sets!

Charles

radiotvnut
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I've seen one 17" system 3. It was a space command set and used the 9-160 sweep module. The tuner was the varactor type with 14 positions that could be set to whatever channel you wanted.

My set does not have any type of convergence circuit. It has the ring magnets on the CRT neck for purity and convergence.