View Full Version : Harley Davidson TV set??????

heathkit tv
04-15-2004, 02:23 PM
How embarrassink! As someone on the Indian forum asked:

Is this the new HDTV? LOL!

Anthony

HDTV (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3287298517)

Carmine
04-15-2004, 02:37 PM
At first, I thought that was just some piece of junk modern TV that someone put a Harley-Davidson sticker on. However, if you look at the Harley-like emblem to the right, it says "audio, video".

I don't think most people would go through that kind of trouble for a gag. Now I'm guessing this might be some kind of cheap Chinese knock-off that was trying to ride the Harley name (pun intended).

Sometimes it's funny how things, especially cultural, get mis-translated.

heathkit tv
04-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Hardley Ableson has been whoring out their name and trademark for years. It's shown up on beer and cigarettes, and while many other firms show due care in the quality of the item their name ends up on apparently that's not the case with HD.

Personally I feel the company (not so much the bikes) has become a bit of a joke as they've diluted their name's value to the point that it's no longer such a highly sought after item. How could it be? What with the name plastered on even toilet paper! Harleys have become mainstream and for the most part don't infer nearly the bad ass image they used to. $30,000 and 30 miles a year don't make you a biker! LOL

Build it yourself or have it modified, but to run a modern stock bike is about as "individual" as a McDonalds hamburger. Sheesh.

Gimme an Indian or gimme death---er---something else!!

Anthony

kc8adu
04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
in the 80's rob to own rental stores sold harley-davidson tv's and stereos.
they were cheap crap .
why hd let anyone tarnish their name by putting it on junk is beyond me.
iirc the tv's were aoc.

xmidnightpyrox
12-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know anything about the 80's models of the Harley Davidson Tv's?? I moved in with a friend who had one, and thought it was fake or something, but then i was looking online and learned there is such a thing, but can't find much info or anything on it. Anyone have any info about them??

Eric H
12-04-2005, 06:38 PM
They pretty much slap the Harley name on everything from Hummers to Handbags these days to cash in on the name.

The TV as I recall was some cheap set with the Harley name on it.

There are some service manuals for these sets on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-Davidson-TV-VCR-Combo-19-HTTLV-Service-Manual_W0QQitemZ5791808528QQcategoryZ50594QQssPage NameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

xmidnightpyrox
12-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Yep, that would be the one..So these models are pretty much cheap/worthless? lol

Eric H
12-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Cheap yes, worthless? maybe not.
People collect Harley stuff so I suppose someone might pay good money for one.

Sandy G
12-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Smith & Wesson are guilty of doing the same thing to a lesser extent. At least their stuff is generally at least tangentally related to guns/shooting/outdoors..-Sandy G.

JCFitz
12-04-2005, 10:09 PM
There were some tv/vcr combo units made too.Those were made by Funai.The same company that makes practically everyone's tv/vcr combo unit.Magnavox,Sylvania,Philips,Sears,Zenith.They also make Sylvania tvs anymore.And I think they merged with Orion.All cheap junk.

kx250rider
12-05-2005, 01:30 AM
JCFitz is correct. There was some kind of screwball deal for the license to Funai, and the Harley-Davidson TV came about. I have seen 3 or 4 of the 19" TV-VCR combos, which were the only I ever did see.

I also saw the same combo that said "John Deere", and even "Levi Strauss & Co"

Charles

bgadow
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
I wonder if some of those combos might have been for in-store display use. For instance, the John Deere dealer could have one running a tape about lawn mowing or no-till crops. Just an idea.

ragamuffintx
05-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I have this Harley Davidson TV you were talking about here. I am not a Harley Collector. Anyone want to make me an offer?

ggregg
05-07-2012, 09:46 PM
in the 80's rob to own rental stores sold harley-davidson tv's and stereos.
they were cheap crap .
why hd let anyone tarnish their name by putting it on junk is beyond me.
iirc the tv's were aoc.

Because they had to. They had just pulled out from under the AMF umbrella and were in desperate need of cash. Their name was the most bankable thing they had and they used it anyway they could. They had to or they wouldn't have made it through those first hard years being finally independent again. That and cheap Sportsters was what kept them in business until they came out with the Evo engine and upgraded the product line. Bottom line was it worked.

radiotvnut
05-08-2012, 12:44 AM
I had one of the Funai built TV/VCR models that dated back to the early '90's. I never did fix it.

wa2ise
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Because they had to. They had just pulled out from under the AMF umbrella and were in desperate need of cash. Their name was the most bankable thing they had and they used it anyway they could. ...

Heard that some of HD's dealerships bailed out instead of spending $100K or more to set up to sell all that stuff, clothing lines, TVs and other non motorcycle rekated product the corporate HQ demanded. Dealerships in rural areas especially couldn't see spending that kind of money on something that wouldn't make a return in their town. Some places became repair shops for HD bikes.