View Full Version : Picked up a Magnavox TV/phono combo at the SA

radiotvnut
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Me and the neighbor were hitting sales again and decided to stop in the Salvation Army thrift store. If you want '80's and '90's consoles, computer monitors (MANY computer monitors), and BPC stereo stuff - they've got it.

My neighbor saw this old beat up early '60's Magnavox TV and brought it to my attention. There was no price on it and I was afraid I would be quoted the same sort of high price that the other thrift stores want. The lady in charge told me I could have it for $10. She added that she didn't know if it worked and that it was an "AS-IS" sale. There was also a Catalina console stereo that I could have gotten for $15. I lost interest as soon as I found out it was solid state.

The Magnavox does have picture and sound but the tuner needs a serious cleaning and there are vertical problems. The bottom half of the screen is black and the top is so stretched that you can't make out the picture. I see new caps in this TV's future. The TT looks pretty much trashed. There is, however, a nice little single ended 6BQ5 based stereo amp inside. I really don't need or have the space for this; but, I felt like I had to rescue it for $10.

They told me that they got lots of old TV's in. I think I made the mistake of stressing that I wanted OLDER TV's. Also, I was too anxious to hand them the $10 for the Magnavox. The lady told me that the only reason I got that TV for $10 was because they didn't know if it worked and that It had been there forever. They'll probably want ten prices for the next old TV I find simply because I acted too excited over this one.

The guy that helped load it said he had a newer TV that needed repair. I gave him my number and asked him to please call me if any older TV's came in.

I also went back to the same flea market where I bought the RCA tube stereo (see the tube audio forum) and he said he had loads of TV and radio tubes as well as a tube tester at his home. He said he also runs into old TV's at times. He's the type guy with the attitude "as long as I'm making money, sell it" so maybe I can work with him. I'm glad to finally find someone that does not have that "the price is marked and I'm not coming down" attitude.

zenith2134
07-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice unit, looks like a solid find. You're right about the SA having too many 80s sets and modern PC monitors...unfortunately the monitors usually need flybacks IMO. Pass.

Good thing you got that console...too often I find out that these stores toss out older TVs because they don't sell. That really sucks!

radiotvnut
07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Does anyone have a Sams 510-1? The chassis number of this TV is V33-08-10. Although this chassis is not listed, the ones covered in Sams 510 appear to be close. Of course, I will pay anyone who can provide me with a copy of that schematic for their efforts.

I am currently in the process of recapping the chassis. This thing is full of those white ceramic cased "time bomb" capacitors. I also had to rejuvenate the CRT, a 23ASP4. It went from the low end to the upper end of the bad scale. I didn't push my luck to try to get it higher. Some picture is better than a fried CRT! Some of those old B&W CRT's would still produce a somewhat decent picture even with weak emission.

radiotvnut
07-06-2008, 11:22 PM
I think I've about got it licked. I replaced all those white ceramic caps and the vertical filled out just fine. The picture is watchable; but, could be better due to the weak CRT. I've still got to clean the tuner, pots, safety glass, and CRT face. I also need to find a record changer to replace to used and abused one thats in it now. I'll post some pictures when I get it back together and cleaned up. I'm sure I can blame the cabinet scratches on all the junk that was piled on top of it at the SA.

BTW, this is a "point-to-point" wired chassis. No PC boards. I really like that! I found some date codes and I think it was made in '61.

mhardy6647
07-07-2008, 07:25 AM
I can check for the Sams tonight if you're still interested... looks like a very cool home entertainment center!

EDIT: Single-ended EL84 audio power amp, it looks like...(?)

radotvguy
07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
i got the same chaSSIS. Just finished mine with help from a fellow audiokarma member . However it just went went out again the other day . Mine developed a hissing noise , then the picture went out . Still have high voltage but no picture . I also had vertical problems, however i changed the vertical height pot and a few resisters and it was fine . Nice set though . Hopefully i get mine going .

radiotvnut
07-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I can check for the Sams tonight if you're still interested... looks like a very cool home entertainment center!

EDIT: Single-ended EL84 audio power amp, it looks like...(?)

Yes, I would still be interested in a Sams if you have it. Who knows when this TV will develop some sort of weird problem.

That is a single-ended EL84 stereo amp. I have a '59 Magnavox stereo with basically the same amp and speakers and it does sound good.

Jeffhs
07-08-2008, 12:59 AM
It's a darn shame about the record changer. Looks like someone forcibly broke the tone arm off its pivot point and left it hanging by the leads. :no: Oh well; at least they left the cartridge in there (I think that's what is taped to the turntable). Perhaps you could get the changer working well enough to test it just by setting the tone arm back on its pivot and operating the mechanism manually.

These were Magnavox's Micromatic changers, which were very good in their day; they had a very low tracking force (much less than most changers of that era; the ads for Magnavox console stereos and TVs using this changer would make a particular point of what they called a "feather light" tracking touch and also proudly announced that "your records will last a lifetime"). Why anyone would destroy a fine changer like that is beyond me.

It may be quite difficult to find a replacement for the changer, as no one much (except for some of us in the audio forum of AK) listens to records anymore these days. :no: I would look for a junked console or radio/phono that has a good changer of the proper dimensions to fit your cabinet.

I did not see a radio control panel in your set, although I did see the picture of the amplifier chassis. If this set is strictly TV and phono, it is a rare system as most of these consoles had at least an AM radio tuner in addition to the phonograph.

radiotvnut
07-08-2008, 01:39 AM
It's a darn shame about the record changer. Looks like someone forcibly broke the tone arm off its pivot point and left it hanging by the leads. :no: Oh well; at least they left the cartridge in there (I think that's what is taped to the turntable). Perhaps you could get the changer working well enough to test it just by setting the tone arm back on its pivot and operating the mechanism manually.

These were Magnavox's Micromatic changers, which were very good in their day; they had a very low tracking force (much less than most changers of that era; the ads for Magnavox console stereos and TVs using this changer would make a particular point of what they called a "feather light" tracking touch and also proudly announced that "your records will last a lifetime"). Why anyone would destroy a fine changer like that is beyond me.

It may be quite difficult to find a replacement for the changer, as no one much (except for some of us in the audio forum of AK) listens to records anymore these days. :no: I would look for a junked console or radio/phono that has a good changer of the proper dimensions to fit your cabinet.

I did not see a radio control panel in your set, although I did see the picture of the amplifier chassis. If this set is strictly TV and phono, it is a rare system as most of these consoles had at least an AM radio tuner in addition to the phonograph.

The cartridge is still in the arm. I have not checked to see if it's good. That piece taped to the turntable looks to be the counterweight that was in the rear of the tonearm. I did turn the switch on and I can hear the motor but the TT does not turn. The speed control knob is very stiff.

I have a newer looking Micromatic out of a late '60's console; but, the speed control knob just spins. I can move the linkage under the turntable and it will change speeds. There is a nut recessed down in there that holds the speed selector knob in place. It looks like I'd have to have a special wrench to remove it. Otherwise, it's a nice TT. It may be worth sending it off to someone for repair.

I see those Magnavox TT's on epay all the time; but, they tend to go for a high (in my book) price. It would be just my luck that I'd buy one and it would be fouled up as well. Oh, I could stick a plastic '70's BSR in there (NOT!!!!).

This unit does not have a radio of any kind. It is strictly a record player / TV combination. I don't think I've ever seen a combo unit without a radio.

radotvguy
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
i have a indentical combo like the one in this posting and i need the channel selector knob . Does anyone have one ??????

radiotvnut
04-14-2009, 03:59 PM
i have a indentical combo like the one in this posting and i need the channel selector knob . Does anyone have one ??????

I just sent you a PM concerning the channel knob. I lost my temper and wrecked mine all over those damn exclusive Magnavox inverted pal nuts that only their tool will remove. I tried everything I had to remove them, without luck. Then I said "the CRT is about dead, the cabinet is banged up, the record changer had been mutilated, I'm catching enough hell for my overflow of stuff; so, why am I even bothering". Magnavox could have used a more conventional method for mounting the control panel; but, no - that would be too easy! So, they used those crazy nuts so only a Magnavox service man with the special Magnavox wrenches could work on it. I know some will probably never speak to me for junking this; but, I can't save everything!

wa2ise
04-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I know some will probably never speak to me for junking this; but, I can't save everything!

Be sure to save the audio amp, they are highly prized over in the AK tube audio forum.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98181&d=1215280818

radiotvnut
04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
I saved it. Am probably going to turn it into a stand alone amp one day. I also saved the power transformer, flyback, vertical output transformer, HV rectifier tube socket, and the new caps that I had replaced in this TV. The yoke fell apart when I removed it. The flyback had a good bit of wax melted out of it; so, I don't know how much longer it will last.

AUdubon5425
04-15-2009, 01:12 AM
You can't save them all - I learned that fooling with old cars in the '90's. I could fill a book with stories on the rare & oddball old cars I came across back then. If I had been able to buy 10% of what I saw I'd still have 20 years of work ahead of me! And then I took on some hopeless cases (like your Magnavox) too, just not wanting them to end up in the junkyard, which is where most of them ultimately went anyway.