View Full Version : HDTVs built as old style consoles

wa2ise
07-04-2008, 11:04 PM
I'd like to see new production TVs like this (like the old style 60's console TVs):http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98137&d=1215230654

jpdylon
07-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Its a nice idea. I just like the look of the older shadow masks better. It kinda defeats the purpose of the HD set --but it just looks better :D

radiotvnut
07-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Dang, that was a real Zenith at one time. The control door below the picture tube (oops, I meant LCD screen) gives it away. Seriously, it is a nice idea; but, I also like the older look better. Since the public tends to frown on consoles these days, I doubt anything like this would take off.

kbmuri
07-04-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26469&d=1159481579

I was reminded of another Wa2ise artwork...

MRX37
07-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I've thought of an HDTV roundie...

A replica Roundie CRT with the ability to display the full NTSC color spectrum, but capable of HDTV resolution.

drh4683
07-05-2008, 08:12 AM
That first photo is a rare space command 600 HDTV! Heres the exact same set but its the older analog version:

For a second there, I thought someone else had this same model. I saw the space command microphone on the left side and was curious as to why it was on the left as mine is on the right. I then noticed this photo is my TV, but the photo was mirror immaged and the background was smeared.

Looks good. Photoshop can do some neat stuff. I dont know how many times people have told me "this old TV cabinet would be perfect for an HDTV, just gut out this old junk guts and install the new TV". It might work quite well.

wa2ise
07-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I then noticed this photo is my TV, but the photo was mirror immaged and the background was smeared.

Looks good. Photoshop can do some neat stuff. I dont know how many times people have told me "this old TV cabinet would be perfect for an HDTV, just gut out this old junk guts and install the new TV". It might work quite well.

Right you are! :D I made "my" console a bit shallower (about as deep as a bookcase), as I trimmed a few inches off the depth, as plasma sets are thinner than CRTs were. However I'd discourage gutting an old classic, but would like to see TV manufacturers produce HDTVs in classic console style cabinets.

NowhereMan 1966
07-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Dang, that was a real Zenith at one time. The control door below the picture tube (oops, I meant LCD screen) gives it away. Seriously, it is a nice idea; but, I also like the older look better. Since the public tends to frown on consoles these days, I doubt anything like this would take off.

It's a shame really, Mom likes the old console look and so do I. The BPC trend of today's TV's are OK for a bedroom or a backup TV, but there should be an option out there who still like to see TV as furniture.

mr_fixer
07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
I think the most ironic concept is that the wooden cabinet would cost more than the electronics inside of it. Logan

joeseattle70
07-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Glad to see that the cabinet survived...would rather see it housing the original components and in it's full glory :-)

joemama99
07-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Doug,I like the set you have much better!

jmdocs
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Check out the set on the upper left of this (flash-based--ugh) page:

http://wilkersonfurniture.com/

New, not a gutted vintage set. I'm scared to ask how much it costs but it sure is purty.

roundscreen
07-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Check out the set on the upper left of this (flash-based--ugh) page:

http://wilkersonfurniture.com/

New, not a gutted vintage set. I'm scared to ask how much it costs but it sure is purty.

If the cabinet was made to house a flat panel set like in the link you posted, That is really cool.
When they destroy a vintage cabinet to do that.. :no: At least install the panel so the set can be put back the way it was if someone wanted to restore it.
Ed

JB5pro
07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I was releaved to see that it appears to be a modern cabinet made to look close to a classic design. It does not look like an original cabinet or exact design copy.