View Full Version : GTE Sylvania Superset console on Craig's List

radiotvnut
06-17-2008, 07:48 PM
This Sylvania is about 90 miles away from me. It might be tempting if I knew it was a delta gun set and the CRT was in good condition; but, my Mother would have a fit if I had her drive me 90 miles to pick up a "beat up TV that you don't have room for." I had a Philco GTE similar to this that had a delta gun CRT and a single board chassis.

Maybe somebody on here is in a better position than I am to save this set.

http://jackson.craigslist.org/ele/694039980.html

sampson159
06-17-2008, 09:06 PM
looks like a e-48. i got mine yesterday. great set with a weak crt. actually,when i got married,that was the set we had in our first home.same cabinet.remote control. no hand unit so a zenith space command worked great! grab that set! its a keeper.

radiotvnut
06-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I found a newer posting for that same set and they are asking $35. I suspect a TV collector would come near buying it before anyone else would. I really don't have the space for it; so, I guess I'll hold out for the 19" or 21" version.

I've had a few '70's and early '80's era Sylvania's (mostly hospital sets) and I was always impressed with the picture. One was a mid '70's E08 (IIRC) with a motorized tuner, the other was an E53 (IIRC) with a single knob motorized varactor tuner and inline CRT, the third was an early '80's E32 single board chassis with inline CRT and keypad tuning. I've also had a few consumer E32 and E34 sets. I think these chassis carried over when Philips took over.

I actually remember "superset" being used on Sylvania TV's up until the early '90's. By then, I'm sure it was just a marketing term and had no real meaning.

It's a shame that Sylvania was once a high quality product and now it's just a name slapped on Funai crap.

wa2ise
06-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Back around 1980 I got job interviewed at the Sylvania TV plant in a town near Buffalo NY, Bativia(sp) I think it was. Anyway, they had tons of "Superset tokens" that were just the punchouts of circuit boards that mount on the CRT socket. Someone from marketing thought that they could make use of such scrap by having the circuit board layout guys write in copper traces some advertising graphics on the part of the board that would be punched out to make room for the CRT socket. To be like coins for TV dealers to give away. They guy interviewing me said that they abandoned that idea, and they just threw that stuff away. They gave me a few, I may still have them around somewheres....

zenith2134
06-18-2008, 07:35 AM
wa2ise... Unique idea, anyway!

Its true, old Sylvanias were truly a great product. I had an '81 GTmatic, may have been the last before Philips took over. It was a 19 inch with single knob electronic tuner. Had a great picture actually, and I do recall it was a singleboard set. Also had the little light sensor photocell which was one feature I kind of liked. This set had a translucent door surrounding the tuner knob, which covered the audio tone control, the user pix controls and speaker.

bgadow
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm guessing the Batavia plant closed not long after Philips took over, and they consolidated with Magnavox in TN? Years ago I had a pair of Sylvania 19" table models given to me by a TV shop. I figured that since they both looked identical I could make one good one out of the pair. When I opened them up I found one was modular while the other had one big board. I also think one was GTE while the other was NAP, but outwardly you couldn't tell.

radiotvnut
06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm guessing the Batavia plant closed not long after Philips took over, and they consolidated with Magnavox in TN? Years ago I had a pair of Sylvania 19" table models given to me by a TV shop. I figured that since they both looked identical I could make one good one out of the pair. When I opened them up I found one was modular while the other had one big board. I also think one was GTE while the other was NAP, but outwardly you couldn't tell.

I've seen several NAP Sylvania sets that looked like the old GTE sets. All the NAP sets made mention of NAP on the back and gave the TN address. I know there were some E32 and E34 chassis sets made after the Philips takeover and some had the Magnavox and Philco names. I guess they were just using up GTE stock. They then went to the 19C3, 19C4, 25C5, etc. chassis identification scheme. I had an '86 Sylvania Superset console that had a NAP 25C5 chassis in it. The control panel looked like a late '70's or early '80's pre Philips design.