View Full Version : '66 Motorola color console, 19" CCII, & '83 Zenith console found today

radiotvnut
05-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, I think I done good today. A lady called me last week and said she had two console TV's and a 19" I could have for free. I had pictured a '94 Zenith with bad CRT, a '96 RCA Thomson set, and a 2001 Orion 19". When me and my neighbor got there to pick them up, I was surprised to see a circa '66 Motorola color console, a 19" solid state Zenith CCII, and an '83 Zenith console. The lady said they bought the Motorola when they got married in '66 and it lasted longer than any of the other TV's. Someone cut the cord off all 3 sets (no major problem) and they all need a major cleaning. The Motorola has a pretty cool looking control panel. Also notice the Motorola Color Television badge under the CRT. I'm going to try to keep the Motorola and the CCII. The '83 will either be given away, fixed and sold, dumped, used for parts, etc. The owner said she was about to throw them in the dump when a lady she knows told her that I picked up a TV of hers. See, it does pay to pick up those BPC sets. They'll tell someone that actually has an OLD set to give away!

zenith2134
05-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Done real good! That CCII is a sweet find by itself!

The Motorola lasted longer than the Zeniths? Wow, surprising especially since it's not a solid state set.

I bet that '83 needs the 9-246 HV module swapped out. They run hella hot.

radiotvnut
05-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Done real good! That CCII is a sweet find by itself!

The Motorola lasted longer than the Zeniths? Wow, surprising especially since it's not a solid state set.

I bet that '83 needs the 9-246 HV module swapped out. They run hella hot.

Yes, those HV boards run hot, are expensive, and can take out the main module when they fail. I've had very little luck repairing that particular chassis.

I too find it hard to believe that the Motorola lasted longer than the Zenith, since Motorola's were not considered that great to begin with. I wonder if it has the dreaeed 23EGP22 Motorola tube? I'll know after while.

truetone36
05-24-2008, 05:58 PM
What chassis is in the CC2? If it's a 19GC38Z chassis I have a complete parts chassis if you need parts.

radiotvnut
05-24-2008, 09:03 PM
The chassis is a 19KC48Z from October, '78 and was made in Mexico. When I fired it up, I was greeted with a white raster with retrace lines. I changed the low level video module and got a picture back; but, it looked bad (like a bad CRT). The CRT tested bad at first; but, came up after I cooked it at 8 volts for a few minutes. I think this is the first Zenith delta gun CRT from the CCII era that checked bad. I still need to redo some of the module connections and clean the controls and tuner.

I think this is the newest 19" Zenith delta gun set that I've seen. Wasn't the "K" line the last CCII chassis?

radiotvnut
05-24-2008, 10:47 PM
The Motorola does have what appears to be the original Motorola 23EGP22 (anode connector on the side). The tube checked bad at first; but, the red and green came up to about 55% and the blue at 40% after cooking it at 8 volts for a few minutes. I did notice that this set uses two horizontal output tubes. I have not fired up the TV yet. I'll save that for tomorrow.

radiotvnut
05-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I fired up the Motorola and it did come to life; but, it has several problems. There is no color, the vertical sync is not stable, and the purity is way off. The picture is also very dull, washed out, and out of focus.

radiotvnut
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Here's the chassis out of the Motorola. There is no model number or chassis number that I can find. Does anyone know the chassis number by looking at the chassis? I'd like to be able to find the Sams Photofact on this model. As can be seen, this chassis uses two horizontal output tubes. Notice, in the last picture, the ultra-professional electrolytic cap replacement. No terminal strip, no heat shrink, no electrical tape. It was just dangling below the chassis with exposed terminals!

Also, would it be safe for me to attempt cataract removal on the 23EGP22 CRT? I've read all the post about cataract removal; but, I think I remember someone saying that trying to remove the safety glass from this particular tube was very dangerous. If that's the case, I have a Zenith Chromacolor (25XP22, IIRC) tube that's good that I might could mount in the Motorola.

andy
05-27-2008, 11:31 PM

radiotvnut
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Much to my surprise, I spliced a cord on the '83 Zenith and it powered up with a lousy picture. A good shot from the CRT checker improved the picture. Here's a picture of the chassis. Not one of my favorite chassis. I would have liked it if I had better luck at repairing the boards instead of swapping them. This set is going to have to find a home. I'm not much into '80's consoles and I'm running out of room.

I've got to do some purity and convergence touch-up's on the 19" CCII and it will be done.

The Motorola is just sitting there until I figure out what chassis is in it. Could it be a TS908, which I think was their first rectangular set?

NowhereMan 1966
06-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Much to my surprise, I spliced a cord on the '83 Zenith and it powered up with a lousy picture. A good shot from the CRT checker improved the picture. Here's a picture of the chassis. Not one of my favorite chassis. I would have liked it if I had better luck at repairing the boards instead of swapping them. This set is going to have to find a home. I'm not much into '80's consoles and I'm running out of room.

I've got to do some purity and convergence touch-up's on the 19" CCII and it will be done.

The Motorola is just sitting there until I figure out what chassis is in it. Could it be a TS908, which I think was their first rectangular set?

The 1983 Zenith looks almost the same as my 1982, I assume it is a System 3. Does it have Space Command remote control and does it have a green LED channel indicator? If you ever dump it, I wish I was closer, I'd like to have a look at it, I'm looking for parts actually but I would hate to cannibalize a perfectly functioning set, IMHO. Anyways, I'm just curious.

N9ZQA
06-05-2008, 10:56 PM
When I removed the cataracts from my Admiral with the 23EGP22, it was the first tube I had ever done. This particular tube was easy since the cataract went all the way into the center of the picture, with about a 4" circle that was still bonded. I just put the tube neck down into a heavy garbage can and hit it with the heat gun. The 25SP22 in my other set was much more difficult - the PVA had started to form little green balls inside it and that one took a lot more heat and time. I was definitely worried by the time the glass started coming loose.

Speaking of these two tubes, other posters in the forum have said that the 23EGP22 was a poor tube, and that there weren't many replacements available for it even as a new tube. They've mentioned replacing it with a 25SP22 or XP22. How was this done? Did the manufacturers provide a new bezel or are the tubes similar in dimension? In my Admiral, the tube is held in place at the corners with little rubber blocks that fit over posts molded into the bezel. There isn't much room for a tube larger than the original. Just curious...

-Jim

radiotvnut
06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
The 1983 Zenith looks almost the same as my 1982, I assume it is a System 3. Does it have Space Command remote control and does it have a green LED channel indicator? If you ever dump it, I wish I was closer, I'd like to have a look at it, I'm looking for parts actually but I would hate to cannibalize a perfectly functioning set, IMHO. Anyways, I'm just curious.

Yes, it is a space command set and it does have a green LED channel readout. The keypad is behind the door. There is also a chromatic switch.

I don't know what I'll end up doing with it. Most of the general public wouldn't have it if I gave it to them. If I gave it to the thrift store, it would just sit there forever with a $100 (or higher) price tag until they got tired of it sitting there and dumped it. I gave the last console I had to a needy person; and, they actually appreciated it. If I strip it, I'll keep you in mind on the parts. It really needs a new CRT to play really well. This looks like a very high hour set. This set uses the tripot tube that was used in the earlier system 3's. In '84, I think they went to the newer version inline tube that's still used today.

roundscreen
06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
When I removed the cataracts from my Admiral with the 23EGP22, it was the first tube I had ever done. This particular tube was easy since the cataract went all the way into the center of the picture, with about a 4" circle that was still bonded. I just put the tube neck down into a heavy garbage can and hit it with the heat gun. The 25SP22 in my other set was much more difficult - the PVA had started to form little green balls inside it and that one took a lot more heat and time. I was definitely worried by the time the glass started coming loose.

Speaking of these two tubes, other posters in the forum have said that the 23EGP22 was a poor tube, and that there weren't many replacements available for it even as a new tube. They've mentioned replacing it with a 25SP22 or XP22. How was this done? Did the manufacturers provide a new bezel or are the tubes similar in dimension? In my Admiral, the tube is held in place at the corners with little rubber blocks that fit over posts molded into the bezel. There isn't much room for a tube larger than the original. Just curious...

-Jim

The 25ap22/xp22 tubes should just drop in as they are the same size.
The color looks good on your set so I would leave it in till it goes dead.
Ed

N9ZQA
06-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Ed -

Thanks for the info. I hadn't planned on replacing the tube since as you said, the colors are decent. In fact, I get compliments from everyone who sees it as to how good the color is. Hopefully I never have to worry about changing it out; this set supposedly has low hours on it, but was curious as to how they interchanged. Is that something you can tell from the part numbers or just through experience?

-Jim

radotvguy
06-06-2008, 08:19 AM
be very careful when removing a safety glass . I had a crt implode right in front of me . Lucky for me i was wearing safety glasses, gloves and was not hurt . However it taught me a lesson on removing a safety glass . I found soaking the crt face down in water for a few days works fine . I never try to remove the safety glass with heat after the experience i had .

roundscreen
06-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Ed -

Is that something you can tell from the part numbers or just through experience?

-Jim

In my case Experience, Look around for a tube substitution book and it will show what can be interchanged by part number.
Ed

bgadow
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I've also read that the 23EGP was obsolete early and that special changes had to be made to fit...but then, the other day I was browsing a Channel Master substitution guide dated 1969 and they were still available. I guess some models were easier to sub than others. A lot of those Motorolas were unique in that the crt was removed from the front. I'm not sure if that makes it easier or not. I also remember a member mentioning that this tube was prone to implosion, but I took most of what that person said with a grain of salt.

NowhereMan 1966
06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, it is a space command set and it does have a green LED channel readout. The keypad is behind the door. There is also a chromatic switch.

I don't know what I'll end up doing with it. Most of the general public wouldn't have it if I gave it to them. If I gave it to the thrift store, it would just sit there forever with a $100 (or higher) price tag until they got tired of it sitting there and dumped it. I gave the last console I had to a needy person; and, they actually appreciated it. If I strip it, I'll keep you in mind on the parts. It really needs a new CRT to play really well. This looks like a very high hour set. This set uses the tripot tube that was used in the earlier system 3's. In '84, I think they went to the newer version inline tube that's still used today.

Thanks! You don't have to cannibalize her on my account but if you ever do, I'm always looking for parts if they will match.

radiotvnut
02-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I just obtained a B&K 606 tube tester (in good condition) and decided I'd try it out on this TV. I found the following tubes that were shorted or had excessive grid emission:

6AW8A
6BL8 X 5 (6BL8's must have been to Motorola what 6GH8's were to RCA)
6GH8
6EH7
6EJ7
6HQ5
6HB7

Now, I've got to raid my tube stash and order what I don't have.

Carmine
02-24-2009, 07:40 AM
I must have missed this thread the first time around. I have one of those CCIIs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/TVs/chromacolor2.jpg

A great performer. Has been in my unheated garage for several years now, and still has a beautiful picture.

radiotvnut
02-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, I'm sad to report that the Motorola went to the dump today. Let's just say that there was a big blow up here concerning the amount of "junk" that I have. I know Motorola's are not highly regarded by old TV techs; but, this was sort of a cool set and who knows when, or if, I'll find another Motorola. Not counting this one, I've had four over the past 20 years: A beige metal cabinet 23" tube color set, a late '60's 23" console color set, a late '60's "works in a drawer" SS set, and an early '70's 17" color hybrid portable. They were not near as common as Zenith's and RCA's. Probably because they didn't last as long. I also had to toss a Zenith flat chassis solid state 25EC58 space command color set. That one had tuner trouble and then developed horiz. sync issues. It was in a huge particleboard and plastic cabinet that was not in the best of shape. I also tossed a bunch of '90's BPC. I dumped a modern Symphonic 20" DVD/TV combo that I've been sitting on for 2 or 3 months waiting for a CRT. The original CRT had a damaged shadow mask. I'd been back from the dump about 30 minutes when my cousin showed up with a nearly identical set with the tube that I needed. Just my luck.

Anyway, I don't think the sets went to total waste. A man and his young son pulled up at the dump in a beat up Ford truck loaded with old appliances. He asked could they have the TV's. They didn't look too well off and both of them thanked me for the junk. If he could get enough copper out of them to put food on his family's table; then, so be it.

I'm going to have to stop trying to rescue everything that comes along. If I continue to pick up TV's, they will have to be smaller portables. Unless, of course, a roundie comes along.