View Full Version : Analog over the air NTSC after Feb 2009 in the USA

wa2ise
04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Ham radio operators will still be able to transmit NTSC after Feb 2009. Most hams who do this mode use frequencies in the 440MHz ham band, which can be received on a TV using CATV channels 57 thru 60 with the TV set connected to an antenna. The above channels are the outputs of ham TV repeaters (similar to "translators" in the TV broadcast bands), and hams uplink NTSC signals to the repeaters. No, ham radio operators will not be doing "broadcast" style TV shows. One ham will send a signal for a while, then stop, and another ham will "talk" to the first ham via TV signals on the same repeater for a while. This could be deathly boring after a while :D, but it will give your analog CATV equipped TV set something to watch...

electroking
04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi,

Regarding this topic, can you tell me what is the highest frequency at
which hams have succesfully transmitted NTSC TV signals. 73 and
thanks in advance.

MRX37
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
AFAIK LPTV and Canadian TV will still be broadcasting in NTSC after Feb 2009. Combining that with my TV card which gets both Digital and Analog, and I'm all set.

electroking
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
AFAIK LPTV and Canadian TV will still be broadcasting in NTSC after Feb 2009. Combining that with my TV card which gets both Digital and Analog, and I'm all set.

The cutoff date in Canada is set for August, 2011, with provision for
stations in some remote areas (not clearly defined as far as I know) to
keep on broadcasting the old fashioned signals after that date. Some
DX opportunities for those that are interested!

ChrisW6ATV
04-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Hi,

Regarding this topic, can you tell me what is the highest frequency at
which hams have succesfully transmitted NTSC TV signals. 73 and
thanks in advance.
I know it has been done at 10.5 GHz. The highest frequencies I have used personally are in the 2400 MHz (13cm) band, though. 73

Hawkwind
04-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know of any Hams in the Boston or Providence area that are doing this?

I'd love to tune in and watch this...

electroking
04-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I guess Pittsburgh, PA is too far from you, but I found this link:

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/k4lk/atv/atvgrps.htm

Just type

"amateur radio" "ntsc television"

in google and find a few hundred links. Good luck!

addendum: I just found the Pittsburgh link in the above page is not working, but some others are. Sorry.

Red October
04-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Not to take a dump in the punch bowl, but does anyone expect the whole changeove thing to actually happen? I know I don't. Digital TV is something I will never put a single dollar into, just like Blue-Ray disc.

merrylander
04-06-2008, 06:56 AM
For people in remote areas Feb 2009 will be the end of TV as digital signals do not have the same range as analog. This is simply because you don't get a snowy signal with digital, in effect you get no signal. Then it will hit the fan and the government may be forced to install repeaters.

whoaru99
04-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Not to take a dump in the punch bowl, but does anyone expect the whole changeove thing to actually happen? I know I don't. Digital TV is something I will never put a single dollar into, just like Blue-Ray disc.

Yes, I do. But, OTOH, I'm on cable. ;)

Applied for a digital converter coupon anyway though.

ChrisW6ATV
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, it's almost a moot point for me. I haven't watched any analog TV in probably 7 years, since soon after I got my first digital tuner.

Red October
04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Yes, I do. But, OTOH, I'm on cable. ;)

Applied for a digital converter coupon anyway though.

I'm cable too; haven't really known airwave TV in my life except the odd rented house on vacation and ages and ages ago in my mother's parents' house on a very old set the make of which I forget, but it was a console without click-stop UHF and it had an orange tuner display. This was later hooked up to cable. My parents had cable since I was a kid; the remote was a big corded affair with a slider that could be set on the floor and operated with the feet -talk about luxury! I still, naturally, have cable.

whoaru99
04-08-2008, 12:46 PM
My converter coupon/credit card arrived today.

FWIW, expiration date on it 6/25/2008.

andy
04-16-2008, 01:00 AM