View Full Version : I think I found a tube that's worse than '90's era Zenith's

radiotvnut
03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I picked up a 2005 20" RCA "TruFlat" TV/DVD combination with a green picture. The green gun moved the needle on the CRT tester very little. The red and blue are totally dead. Raising the filament voltage and rejuvenation did nothing. The tube is an LG Philips (made in China) type A51ERF135X95. I wonder if this is an isolated incident; or, are these tubes really junk?

zenith2134
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Radiotvnut.... I mentioned this story once before but maybe this will help answer your question. A buddy of mine has a 2001 RCA truflat with built in dvd. 20 inch flat faced crt. He asked me to make it look good for him once... This thing bled so badly on the highlights that I had to turn the contrast and color down to almost nothing. Of course by then it looked washed out and lifeless. My recommendation was to use it as-is for as long as it kept going, and then to just toss it. It was by far the worst I'd seen in a while.

larschr
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I have seen several Philips TVs that has the LG-Philips tube, and the ones i have seen looks great.

RCAkid
03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I too have a 2006 RCA 20" Tru-flat dvd/tv combo.

While it hasn't had much use....I consider it a piece of junk...mainly because it is.

The dvd player doesn't like a lot of dvd's, especially ones I burn. Additionally, the picture is not centered in the screen...it is off to the left about 3/4 of an inch.

And I know what is meant about trying to get the picture to be good. Especially on the highlights, the picture smears badly so I have the brightness and contrast turned down below 50% for an acceptable picture. Also it has a tough time with a bright image popping up. The picture blooms quickly and then drops to something it can handle.

The crt, the dvd, shoot, the whole set is junk and the sound quality is poor as well. :thumbsdn:

I am just gonna run it until it dies...but that may take a while as I have had it for a little over 2 years...I probably have less than 40 hours on it. It is in my office and only gets used to test dvd's I have burned for clients. I figure if it will work on that thing, it will work anywhere! :D

Roy

MRX37
03-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Saw an RCA flat screen TV in a store not too long ago. The colors were bleeding badly on it... and this was the display model too...

Damn shame, as I had a 19" Colortrak 2000. My family had this TV since it was new in 1991. It had the best damn S video picture I've ever seen on a TV! I could literally use it as my computer monitor! I kinda regret selling it now, but I needed the money...

larschr
03-30-2008, 05:18 AM
I see that the sets mentioned here are something different from what i was thinking about. The good sets i was talking about were 26-28" widescreen sets in the middle price range.

andy
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
I saw a slightly older flat 20" Daewoo TV with an LG/Philips CRT that had gone to air. The neck was glowing blue. It's possible your CRT is also gassy.

rcaman
03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
most all of the philips sets we work on that has the philips/lg crt,s in them are toast or almost toast. bad cheap tubes. steve

dr.ido
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Argh! I just ended up with a load of 15 or so ex warranty return sets from a warehouse clear out. A mixture of 51cm and 68cm sets with various unknown or recycled brand names. These sets are all probably around 2 to 3 years old now (it takes time for them to filter in from the various stores and resellers), but none managed to survive their 1 year warranties.

So far all of them have either LG Phillips CRTs or identical looking CRTs that are labelled YS (B grade?). I fixed one today and was surprised how dim the picture was. After turning up the screen control it makes an acceptable pictire, but that's pretty pathetic for a CRT that had seen less than a years use.

The sets built with recycled CRTs do better than that.

Strangely one of the still-in-box sets included a schematic diagram with the user manual.

At least some of the buyers around here are starting to realize how bad these cheap new sets are. Good 10-15 year old Sony/Panasonic/NEC/etc sets are now often bringing more at auction than these crap boxes. It was the other way around not long ago.

Rental Limo
04-02-2008, 04:49 AM
I was playing around with a 1990's Zenith console at the thrift shop last night trying to degreen the picture for a spanish couple who did not know how to work the menus. Adjusting the color level, tint, etc was a waste of time!

MK1234Tfan
05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Delete please? Didn't realize it was so old..

Robb
05-05-2013, 10:47 PM
(made in China) are these tubes really junk?

You just answered your own question. hahaha