View Full Version : Blanking VBI data on an old set

zenith2134
02-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Hi, just curious to see if anyone has successfully figured out how to modify an old tv so that the VBI information is properly blanked? It can be such a PITA with DVD's and even OTA tv sometimes. My main problem is with my XL100, it shows about 3 inches of data at the top on PBS and sometimes Fox.

Also, it'll be interesting to see if the ATSC converter boxes will be moddable (I presume they too will have this issue with my tv, since the data is probably Teletext or XDS stuff, which would work with 90s tv's)

blue_lateral
02-12-2008, 01:21 AM
With DVD the best way is to shut it off in the player. Only a few players can do this. For over the air, Its possible to use an external tuner (I am doing that anyway) and run it through some kind of blanking device. Do you build stuff? If so, this looks promising. I have one, but haven't built it yet.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6753

You might even be able to put it inside the set, if composite video exists somewhere in there.

Anyway, good luck :)

John

zenith2134
02-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Cool link, thanks a lot. I DIY lots of audio stuff like headphone amps, and feel confident I can build the teletext suppressor pcb. Very nice to have this link--it'll come in handy.

I don't think the RCA has composite in the set itself...maybe, I'll have to take another look. I'm fine with using an external tuber- come 2009 I'll have to anyway.

andy
02-12-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm using a Replay TV DVR and it seems to strip off most of the VBI data. I've never noticed anything while using it on my CTC-12. ATSC tuners should be ok too since the only data is in the last few lines of the VBI.