View Full Version : DVD Pattern Generator...

joeseattle70
01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't have access to a crosshatch generator, and what I've found on e-bay is expensive, and who knows if it would even work ok if I got it. Found a DVD test pattern generator - has a ton of stuff on it - here's a link - has anyone used such a thing, and if so, is it good quality?

http://www.itworks.com/products/DVDref-suite.htm

Many thanks!

Joe

MRX37
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Ya know... I could, and probably should make a test pattern DVD...

All I would need to do is create an MPEG video file with a crosshatch pattern and use DVD creating software to turn it into a DVD. Burn myself a copy and bingo!

If I wanted to get elaborate, I could include various test patterns like color bars, and label each bar with the name of its color. Maybe with white bars in between each primary color to check for color bleeding...

I don't even have to use a DVD. A slideshow SVCD would do just fine for this.

Duane
01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't have access to a crosshatch generator, and what I've found on e-bay is expensive, and who knows if it would even work ok if I got it. Found a DVD test pattern generator - has a ton of stuff on it - here's a link - has anyone used such a thing, and if so, is it good quality?

http://www.itworks.com/products/DVDref-suite.htm

Many thanks!

Joe

Ther are many DVDs that have test patterns. A couple that have been around for awhile are Video Essentials and AVIA.

I use to own the Philips professional hand held test pattern generator and the companion CRT color anylizer (PM5639/00). The test pattern generator had a mulitude of patterns including the crosshatch,pluge,grayscale,IRE,etc. The test patterns from Video Essentials are very good and usefull. I no longer have the Philips combo, but still have a copy of VE.

MRX37
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
I ended up making a slideshow DVD. The first three images are all one solid color with text saying what the color is. I have red, green and blue. This is mainly to test color purity.

The next image is color bars. A red bar, a white bar, a green bar, another white bar, and a blue bar. All the bars being labled with the name of their color. I can see myself using this to adjust tint or adjust the color guns themselves.

The last two images are crosshatch patterns. The first is a black background with a white crosshatch, and the other is the same crosshatch with inverted colors. I see myself using these to spot convergence issues and picture distortion.