View Full Version : Picked up an RCA CTC97

zenith2134
12-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Found an ultra-clean ctc-97 set from April, 1980 in a thrift shop today. Its an XL-100. Has the ChanneLock Remote with 4-buttons, Volume up/down and channel up/down. Interestingly, Volume down turns power off on both the set and the remote. Seems like a cost-cutting move, no? Inside though, the set is solid as a rock: Metal chassis and plenty of heatsinking.

This model has an LED readout, so no OSD for the channel, but it doesn't matter for me since I have it on channel 3 permanently and use my DTV box channels.

Let me tell you, I am very happy my wega went this week, because this RCA has a great picture! Paid em 10 bux for it, because he was very proud that it was built in Indiana and I was impressed by that. Just wanted to share.

In these pictures, notice how the RCA logo with the Nipper dog is still used... seems strange because every other rca I had from the later 70s/early 80s never had this. Excuse the bad camera quality, the raster is a hell of a lot better than that, perfect focus.

radiotvnut
12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
That tube looks to be in good shape. That's rare for the later delta gun RCA's. I wonder if it's the original. I'll bet the remote is an ultrasonic type. I've seen several 19" RCA's from this time period that the volume up turned it on and volume down turned it off.

What happened to your WEGA? Bad flyback of CRT, I bet!

radiotvnut
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Wait a minute. The 97 is not a delta gun. Isn't that a single board 19" chassis with all the metal frame around it?

zenith2134
12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes unfortunately its singleboard with tuner module and control module to the left; and HV assembly/fly to the right(as usual) with metal frame around the whole thing.

Too bad it ain't a delta set.

The WEGA originally was going into IK shutdown, so I jacked up the G2 voltage a tad and it stayed alive for the last couple of months.

Until the other morning. I turned it on to discover the blue was GONE. I opened it up, tried tapping the neck for shorts, but it appeared that the blue was totally blown. Just a piece of crap IMO, I am actually kinda satisfied that its gone.

zenith2134
12-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes the remote is ultrasonic alright. Here it is.

radiotvnut
12-06-2007, 10:27 PM
You were very lucky to get the remote. I almost never get the remotes for newer set's, let alone set's this old.

I've got a 27" wega that will probably get tossed. It plays; but, the picture has "snow" artifacts in it. I would have swore the tuner was bad; but, it does the same thing with the A/V inputs. I could spend $25 on a Sams and who knows what on parts; but, I probably couldn't get my investment.

Anyway, hang on to the RCA. It's a better set than that Sony ever thought about being.

zenith2134
12-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Radiotvnut, I couldn't agree more.

The weird thing about this RCA is that the fleshtones look greenish at times. Some scenes it looks nice some scenes (Like Letterman which is on now) it has a greenish facial tone to it.

I cleaned and readjusted the rgb bias this afternoon when I got it home, and it has a perfect b&w pic, and I just did the drives (only R&G on this set) and it has perfect whites. I dunno why it wouldnt be fine at this point, I adjusted contr/brightness/color/tint at exactly half too. Looks great 90% of the time.

MRX37
12-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Radiotvnut, I couldn't agree more.

The weird thing about this RCA is that the fleshtones look greenish at times. Some scenes it looks nice some scenes (Like Letterman which is on now) it has a greenish facial tone to it.

I cleaned and readjusted the rgb bias this afternoon when I got it home, and it has a perfect b&w pic, and I just did the drives (only R&G on this set) and it has perfect whites. I dunno why it wouldnt be fine at this point, I adjusted contr/brightness/color/tint at exactly half too. Looks great 90% of the time.

I had an RCA from 1978 with a weird feature. It had a light sensor located under the speaker. Covering it made the picture get dimmer, and sometimes there would be a slight greenish hue.

zenith2134
12-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Had a colortrak with the photocell too.. same thing it made the pic tinted. This one doesn't have it (that I can see)

vintagecollect
12-07-2007, 11:51 AM

bgadow
12-07-2007, 11:51 AM
In these pictures, notice how the RCA logo with the Nipper dog is still used... seems strange because every other rca I had from the later 70s/early 80s never had this.

It seems this got reintroduced in the late 70s or so, and maybe was used into the mid-80s?

I've always seen these as being a solid bet. I remember many moons ago being sent out to find a good used tv for my sister's dorm room, and coming up with a similiar model RCA. Back in '92 that was a $100 tv at a used furniture store, and not a bad deal. She got a lot of life out of that set.

Chad Hauris
12-07-2007, 06:02 PM
There is a little bit of info here about the Nipper dog trademark re-introduction.
http://www.cedmagic.com/home/cedfaq.html#oneeleven

It seems like for some reason RCA chose to discontinue Nipper a few years after his re-introduction because the Nipper trademark is owned by other companies in other countries (such as EMI or JVC) and RCA could not market products bearing the Nipper trademark abroad. This may not be exactly right but I know it had to do with the difference in the trademark's ownership in other countries.

zenith2134
12-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Interesting info, thanks guys

wa2ise
12-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes the remote is ultrasonic alright.

I used to work at the old RCA Sarnoff Lab, back when RCA was a real company. Anyway, I know the guy who developed the more modern IR remote, the one using a small microprocessor to create and transmit IR pulse codes. There was an alternate design done by some people at RCA's Indy design center, but that was using various analog audio and supersonic frequencies that would in turn modulate the IR emitter. Vaguely like a telephone touchtone DTMF system. Arguements over which design to go into production with iwent on. The indy guys decided to have a "shoot out" of the two systems (pairs of TVs and remotes, one using the micro, the other the analog scheme) in the parking lot on a sunny day. The guy I know said that neighter would work, but his did work flawlessly, while the analog one was going nuts, constantly flipping channels and cranking the volume up and down. And it turned out the micro version would cost less to produce...http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/rcaremote.jpg

KentTeffeteller
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi,

RCA's better sets and the Zenith ChromaColor II sets are the pinnacle of American Color TV design. Well made in the USA and an era of quality build and picture we'll never likely see again. I love these sets as durable daily watchers. They make nice pictures even with Digital HD converter boxes.

zenith2134
12-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Turns out that the service switch was intermittent, not dirty but actually losing conection to the board! Never saw that before. Maybe it got bumped during a move once? Don't think I did it, because I was ultra-careful with it.

So the switch was actually adding green intermittently when I touched it. I blew out a lot of dust and resoldered it down good :thmbsp: The grayscale is amazing now, really low hours on this tube.

It amazes me because first of all, RCA's crts from this time weren't notorious for reliability, let alone after 27 years. Also, the rest of the set appears very well-used, lots of dust, with slight brown-darkening around the chroma-out's and flyback. Just to be sure, I redid the soldering around them too.

You guys are very correct that this was a good set, I am impressed with the heatsink on the H-out, it looks like a vintage stereo amplifier output!

So far it has been a great daily bedroom set, I have only turned it off when I was out of the house, and it truly has a stellar picture.

zenith2134
01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
In the past month with the ctc97, I resoldered the red circuit on the kine driver board. Also was having a severe blooming issue with moderate contrast levels so I replaced 2 small caps in the power supply. Only thing wrong with this tv is that the horizontal is slightly off center.

Odd part, though, is that the service sticker points to horiz positioning stakes, but they appear to be missing from this set! Anyone remember the '97? I mean, I had the thing totally apart and for the life of me could not find the positioning pots, stakes, or anything else! Either way heres a few shots of the old workhorse.

wa2ise
01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/rcactc101.jpg I had a CTC101 back in the 80's. Looks quite similar to your 97. It had a comb filter and an IR remote control. It also had fake stereo sound. And also had the notorious flyback transformer that would fail and take out the horizontal transistor with it. Seems that there were only 3 high voltage rectifier diodes inside the flyback, instead of the 6 orginally designed. It was a warrenty nightmare for RCA back then. Mine worked for about ten years until the flyback blew, then it got tossed.

It was a nice set, be nice to find one.

zenith2134
01-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Man, thats a cool looking set. So far i've only used ctc-89, ctc-97 and ctc117's from this time. I found them all, and all worked with minor issues. Cool picture, thanks